Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
d_bertko

Default Re: Going Rogue

Jim,

I drove my friend's empty Sprinter work van on a paddling shuttle run and was surprised at how much quicker his low, short, empty van was than my 158" tall camper full of gear. Made me consider if I needed everything I brought...

I think the dragstrip rule of thumb is that 100 lbs is worth about 1/10 sec on the quarter-mile. And a typical car loses about a mpg for each additional 250 lbs you carry (no-mother-in-law rule)

So each successive multiweek trip we've done has had less extra gear. We're year-round boondockers so our fresh water supply has always been inside the van for the warmth. We took six 7-gallon water cubes on our first southwest desert camping trip but found that 2 cubes plus a few more smaller bottles were enough. The extra four (empty) cubes got strapped to the roof rack for the 6 weeks duration. Just found our camping style was mobile enough that refills were convenient. Otherwise we'd have filled the other 28 gallons and kept them along side in our quickshelter. You might find that you need a lot more water per day than we did---but not every trip is that arid. Lots of campers keep big tanks mostly empty much of the time. And many keep separate drinking supplies for sanitary convenience. But if I had your skills I might install a smaller fresh tank adequate for most use and have another underside compartment for removable supplemental water---that way I'd have an extra gear locker for most of our shorter, wetter trips.

A thought about 500 lbs of house batteries:
We have half your bank size and find it allows us to boondock immobile for four days with out gen set or solar panels. I've got a very nice Honda eu2000i gen but we hardly bring it since we drive a bit here and there while camping and the alternator is adequate when that is the case. Lots of interesting tradeoffs for solar panels, too. Consider that one gallon of gasoline has the energy content of about 14 car batteries.

I was really surprised at my lack of generator use. Got fooled when I designed the van with an efficient all-electric kitchen.

You sound like an experienced camper---perhaps with three teenage girls that need long showers and hairdryers. Figure you know your requirements. Just thought I'd prompt you to consider some of the weight/performance tradeoffs.

Dan
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
Top2004Cub
'08 3500 Extended Mega

I was able to get the battery box together today and then remove it for welding. I think it will work fine. It measures about 23 x 24 x 11. I should be able to get two 8D batteries in there just aft of the differential. I took some photos with my cell phone and will attempt to post them.

Thanks for the encoraging comments. I am doing my best to keep weight to an absolute minimum. Hence all the aluminum. I plan to use aluminum for the cabinets as well when I get to that point. I will start with two batteries, but am planning to make room for four.

I was able to cut the aluminum for an aux fuel tank today as well. It will measure 56.5 x 7.0 x 12.5. That sould ad up to just over 21 gallons. With the original 25 gallons, that should keep me on the road for a long day. I will take some photos when I get started welding.

More to come! Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprinter hatch.jpg (133.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg sprinter hatch 2.jpg (147.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Sprinter battery box 1.jpg (133.0 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Sprinter battery box 2.jpg (141.0 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg Sprinter battery box 3.jpg (146.7 KB, 156 views)
Top2004Cub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top2004Cub For This Useful Post:
Hikinginpdx (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
Top2004Cub
'08 3500 Extended Mega

a couple more photos,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprinter battery box 4.jpg (125.5 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Sprinter battery box 5.jpg (124.9 KB, 156 views)
Top2004Cub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top2004Cub For This Useful Post:
K-9 SPRINTER (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

Impressive, thanks for sharing and keep us up on your progress
Hikinginpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
teamtexas
A Dad owner with a '03

Nice pics. Thats one deep basement!

Dan
teamtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
d_bertko

I think you could make a living selling basements to us.

Dan
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote