Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
seans

Default Questions for RS2000/ProSine/large inverter owners

I recently purchased a factory refurbished RS2000. I was hoping to replace my hodgepodge of inverters, battery chargers, and power strips that I use in the Sprinter, with one box. But it was immediately apparent that this RS2000 was not light on the house battery current.

I put it on my workbench and hooked an ammeter to the battery. I found a 5A load on the battery with the inverter on but no AC load. The "load sense" current is much better at around 1A with no load, but still much greater than my small inverter. Load sense is not reliably keeping a 75W bulb lit when load sense is set to 40W, and when the bulb is on, the inverter reports 110W AC power consumption. Operating just a laptop is out of the question without disabling load sense (and paying the 5A penalty), at least on this particular RS2000. As soon as I add a load that load sense can deal with, the additional current overhead of this RS2000 kicks in again.

Is this typical of high power capacity inverters like the RS or ProSine series, or unique to this RS2000?

Separately, I also found that at one point during the float charge, current was reported by the System Control Panel to be rising and falling between 0.7 and 2.2A over a period of about a minute, when in fact the ammeter showed it around 3A the whole time. I also found that the load sense current (no load) was reported to be 6 - 8A by the control panel when the actual current was just under 1A (possibly a decimal point error in the current measurement or reporting software.) Are other RS2000 owners also getting erroneous current readings? (I have a ticket in to Xantrex but wanted to know what other owners have to say about this first.)
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,804 Posts
Default Re: Questions for RS2000/ProSine/large inverter owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans View Post
I recently purchased a factory refurbished RS2000. I was hoping to replace my hodgepodge of inverters, battery chargers, and power strips that I use in the Sprinter, with one box. But it was immediately apparent that this RS2000 was not light on the house battery current.

I put it on my workbench and hooked an ammeter to the battery. I found a 5A load on the battery with the inverter on but no AC load. The "load sense" current is much better at around 1A with no load, but still much greater than my small inverter. Load sense is not reliably keeping a 75W bulb lit when load sense is set to 40W, and when the bulb is on, the inverter reports 110W AC power consumption. Operating just a laptop is out of the question without disabling load sense (and paying the 5A penalty), at least on this particular RS2000. As soon as I add a load that load sense can deal with, the additional current overhead of this RS2000 kicks in again.

Is this typical of high power capacity inverters like the RS or ProSine series, or unique to this RS2000?

Separately, I also found that at one point during the float charge, current was reported by the System Control Panel to be rising and falling between 0.7 and 2.2A over a period of about a minute, when in fact the ammeter showed it around 3A the whole time. I also found that the load sense current (no load) was reported to be 6 - 8A by the control panel when the actual current was just under 1A (possibly a decimal point error in the current measurement or reporting software.) Are other RS2000 owners also getting erroneous current readings? (I have a ticket in to Xantrex but wanted to know what other owners have to say about this first.)
1) 5 amp current draw is on the high side... my RS3000 uses 3.2-3.5 idle (This may be out of spec.). (High resting amps is well known for this series and I knew this going in but choice this model for quality and worldwide serive, other brands are lower). I've not used my load sense as i like to turn it off when not using (sleeping) as it's under my pillow.

1.2) You are not really paying a 5 amp penaltly when you draw current above the resting amps... as the footprint is replace with a ~85% efficiency draw.... but yes less than that is a problem. I just installed the new SW1000 for low draw use & backup (on a manual ac selector switch for my desk plug) and it draws 0.6amps resting!!

2) The Control Panel monitoring is crap/useless... It is way off on mine and a few other's I know, as it uses a crappy internal shut/algorithm....it's their way of saying 'buy our real meter'... i have a ticket in for 13.5 months... good $%^&'ing luck! I do have a LinkLite and it's exceptionally accurate and tells me all.

Last edited by OrioN; 01-05-2010 at 07:29 PM.
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
seans (01-05-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

I have the control panel also and don't find it useful for much, except....

Turning on the inverter from the wall instead of having to access the unit itself. Nice feature since the inverter is tucked away. More importantly for configuration. Selecting battery type and adjusting current draw on the shore power connection. Awesome as I don't happen to have or want to put in a 30A circuit in the house. I've configured it down to 13A or 18A and run it off the 15A and 20A service which I can find anywhere.

I agree it is not great for battery condition, but it does display the outside air temp! Now there is a selling feature.

The Linklite arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to its capibilities although the install is more than I hoped it would be. Looks like I need to put another weather tight location underneath for the shunt.
Hikinginpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hikinginpdx For This Useful Post:
seans (01-05-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
seans

Thanks! This is really good information.

On the control panel, you would think that they'd make the battery display show as a bargraph so a quick glance could give you status, but the display goes into a screen saver mode after a minute so that is no help.

Last night I put an oscilloscope on the Xanbus to see what it might take to decode the data and create some custom bus devices, like an inverter power switch for the dash with a tri-color LED that shows battery level. However, I'm not sure the inverter can be powered up from the network if the inverter enters hibernate mode (I know it can't from the SCP, because the SCP loses power.) I have a feeling there may be some serious inverter hacking in the works once the warranty expires.

The specs I found on Xantrex.com suggest that the ProSine 2.0 may have lower current draw, but I've also noticed that Xantrex has changed the specs of the RS2000 over time to be less optimistic, so I don't know if the ProSine specs are accurate.

What are ProSine 2.0 owners seeing for current draw on the battery in low- or no-load conditions?
Why do people choose a ProSine 2.0 over an RS2000 or vice versa?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

I got the RS2000 for less than $1K new, that made my decision.

You can find a linklite for just over $200, not sure if it would be worth the effort to reverse engineer the Xantrex to create only a subset of the features at that price. What I don't like is that it doesn't estimate time remaining. Have to spring for the Pro version for that.
Hikinginpdx is offline   Reply With Quote