Moto-van build

Shapi

Just started the build out on our 170 cargo. We won’t camp in it often so I won’t have as much as others with respect to furniture, but I will at some point add a water tank for washing the bikes between races, solar, compressor, and various electronics.

The first task is sound sound proofing. Started yesterday with Noico on the walls. I will also use Lizard skin on the floor for sound and ceiling for insulation. Probably overkill but, I want it quiet while driving as well as when we camp at races. Hope to have all of that completed this week.

Next is a partition a friend is building for me. It will be behind the door bulkhead (mid-ship), go up 40 inches, in 24” to act as a small bed/storage area, and then up to the ceiling. Hope to have that done before we go on a 24 hour drive to Texas for a race.

After that we will need to have seats bought/mounted by April for a trip to a race that wife and daughter will be joining my son and I. Then...no rush, so will have to see where we are...solar, water, new radio, swivel seat bases, compressor, paint the wheels? Lots to keep me busy that’s for sure!

I’ll post pics as I go....if you have any thoughts or suggestions please chime in!

I started with a very similar design. After a mock-up of the bed I decided to change to 30" wide.
1. The width of the Sprinter is just a little short, so 30" lets me get just a little diagonal.
2. There was still room for the handlebars behind the wall on mine at 30".
3. I found a nice 30" mattress.

Enjoy!

Shapi

So at 30 you’re not hitting bars? I forget what we measured but tire to number plate seemed more like 20-ish....

Sprinty

Will you be adding windows?

I am having a difficult time confirming the previous generation CR Laurence windows will fit the 2019 body.

Bob Laps

While reading the high idle thread in the ncv3 section I came across a radio kit for a '19 at mid city engineering...I think I saw a post by u looking for one....if not disregard,if so good luck

Bob

Shapi

While reading the high idle thread in the ncv3 section I came across a radio kit for a '19 at mid city engineering...I think I saw a post by u looking for one....if not disregard,if so good luck

Bob
Not sure it will work with ‘19? I’ll give them a call

Shapi

As I sit waiting for Lizard Skin sound control to dry on the front 1/3 portion of the van, I thought I would post an update. Haven't been able to get too much done because of that thing called work, but last weekend my friend helped, well I helped he did, build my partition. Also got my riv-nut gun, L-track, and a few other parts and pieces in so that I can at least have something functional for our trip to Texas on Thursday. The biggest stress right now is getting the lizard skin to dry on the floor so I can put on a 2nd coat before I put on the floor (hopefully tomorrow). Excited and nervous for how the floor will fit or what alterations I will have to make for the partition. My plan of now is to un-bolt the partition, place floor and re-drill new holes to account now for the 1/2" the floor will add. My plans for Lizard skin on the entire floor as well as their insulating spray on the ceiling will have to wait until it gets warmer. As we speak my wife is heading to ACE to buy another heater that will hopefully put off enough to warm the van for the next 18-24 hours. That will be 3 of these that are in there. It's only 45 degrees outside, but the instructions say it has to be at least 60...fingers crossed....stay tuned!

Attachments

Last edited:

Shapi

Lizard Skin ordeal done. Didn’t have enough to cover floor and walls with 2 coats so I just did 2 coats on the “cab” part and the walls behind the partition. Nothing on the floor. Put in the new KK-Plus floor last night. Everything fit ok. Had to make a few kids to anchor holes as they didn’t all line up exactly. All worked well. Now have to put up L-Track tonight.

Attachments

Shapi

Shapi...do you guys ride enduro circuit or motocross?
Mostly Hare and Hound (national hare and hound, AMA District 36 Hare Scrambles) and Grand Prix (WORCS and AMA Big 6-now AMA National Grand Prix Championship Series) Then we'll mix in stuff like Last Dog Standing Hard Enduro, 24 Hours at Glen Helen and random races here and there...headed to Post, TX as we speak for NHHA race...

zither99

When I was insulating my van, I noticed the Upper Most Wall (above windows) portion had some loose panels that emitted a lot of deep noise while driving. Specifically the portion you did not spray. The rear/upper panels, when tapped on, were like a drum.

Shapi

Seats are in...I like them. They are a bit firmer than I had thought they would be, but I am sure they will break in just fine. Really like the mounting plate and brackets that came with it. Makes them secure and factory strength. Good thing! Going to lizard skin for insulation today. I will also put more noico on as I have some left. Didn't do sliding door... Next up after that, Thinsulate, ceiling, and walls. That should be it for a while...

Attachments

I am thinking about a 170 partitioned mx build as well. What are your thoughts on how hot the van might get? Is like a roof ac a good idea or unnecessary with proper insulation? Also the captains chairs, are they tested for crashes? Where do you get them? What are some must have’s in the garage? Toolbox, air compressor, handheld shower, work bench?

Top Bottom