Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #191
sgmullins

Default Re: DIY version of Outside Van bed panel frames?

Anyone know if ATV ramp dimensions are measured from the end of the little legs that hook on the truck bed or if the dimensions are of the actual ramp frame?

I am worried that if I get a 68" long ramp, after cutting the legs off to use as a bed, it will be too short to span the width of the sprinter.
sgmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #192
ECU

Thanked 1,216 Times in 892 Posts

I picked up the Harbor Freight one. Removed the 'legs' and added 3/4" paneling on each side of the van. Now the fit is so tight that it is hard to move them in to place. So without the legs, you'll have an inch and a half to spare in a T1n.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #193
sgmullins

So based on what you said, it sounds like the measurements are taken from the frame and not the added on legs. That's great! thanks
sgmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:48 AM   #194
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

This bed can be done at home with standard tools. Materials can be sourced at home supply and upholstery shop. Panels won't flex if built this way; use reinforcement ribs or metal c channel sandwiching the panels. Mattress used is made out of custom memory foam pads on top with covers. The cubbies use the dead space and also minimize the bridge of the panels. I built versions of this type of bed with or without the cubbies on many different vans I have owned and even do them occasional for those whom don't have the time, tools, or ability to do it themselves. They work really well and can be built in a few days w/o the mattress. Easily can hold 400-500 lbs if done right. For the most part you just need a saw(s). Metal bed frame is nice also, but this is the way to go if you don't want to do any welding and powder coating and the functionality is even better. Can be done for under $1000 in materials including the custom mattress pad(s) costs with upholstery. www.cacampervan.com

bed.JPG

cubbies.JPG

Last edited by slamit; 07-17-2016 at 05:03 AM.
slamit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slamit For This Useful Post:
Holaday (07-26-2016), slem (01-05-2017)
Old 11-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #195
Bshred

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcphc View Post
The issue I have with the ramp is the width. I'm looking at the trifold and I believe it's 3 sections of 15 inches each, giving a total width of 45 inches. I'd like to have around 60 inches, so I'd have to buy two.

I was thinking of using 1 inch aluminum square tubing with 1 inch foam sandwiched between 1/4 inch plywood. The price for the tubing is $70, enough to do two 6 ft x 2.5 ft sections.

I also decided to make the platform height adjustable. I played around with some 8020 this morning and mounted it vertically to the bulkhead. I had some 1.5 inch aluminum square tubing so I used that for the horizontal platform support.

I attached the square tubing to the 8020 with a rivnut in the tubing to tighten it to the angle bracket.

Any reason you didn't want to attach the rail to the sheet metal I see in the photos? What was the purpose of the additional sheet metal straps?

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk
Bshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #196
aram marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I eventually used 80/20 on the cargo walls to replace the e-track. This gave me endless options for mounting a bed! 1,000s of ways you can mount a bed with 80/20. You could even just make 80/20 panels like outside van and set them on top of the 80/20 side rails. (Put some sort of stop to keep them from sliding forward when you don't want)

Upper and lower rails mounted to the van before the insulation and panels

Low mounting position and panels slid into the 80/20 slots.

I'd be grateful if you could explain how the 80/20 rails are attached to the van wall. I'm exploring using this material myself, and am a total novice (as is likely apparent from this question). I don't get how you can use this system when the attachment is blind as in this application.

Any clarification greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Aram
aram marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:43 AM   #197
Cole
OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aram marks View Post
I'd be grateful if you could explain how the 80/20 rails are attached to the van wall. I'm exploring using this material myself, and am a total novice (as is likely apparent from this question). I don't get how you can use this system when the attachment is blind as in this application.

Any clarification greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Aram
On a T1N you can just through bolt it with carriage bolts.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
aram marks (01-05-2017)