Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #61
alexshouse
06' 647 NAG1 3500 HT 158"

Default Re: 2006 vanomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyreid View Post
I noticed a new rattly pinging sound .. sounded like the turbo heat shield or something was loose... also a bit more vibration.

I tried to find the noise for days... finally whilst laying on my back looking up at the motor i reached up and grabbed the outer ring of the harmonic balancer.... and it was loose.. could almost spin it independently of the inner pulley and could rock it back and forth....

Parked the van went and logged in to europarts.sd...
Sounds exactly like what happened to me on the '06 3500 I just bought... No noises to speak of on the test drive, then drove it 300 miles home and by the time we arrived, the rattling had started. Took a while to find the source, but once I did it was as obvious as you described.

What I'm curious about is whether this is related to the 'key failure' problem that I've also read about. Having had the HB replaced with the OEM part, what are the chances of having either of these problems come up again? Currently just over 76k miles.

Last edited by alexshouse; 08-26-2016 at 11:06 PM.
alexshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:24 AM   #62
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,220 Times in 5,208 Posts
Default Re: T1N Harmonic Balancer Failure

The key failure is caused by the damper coming loose on the crankshaft nose or stub!

Being a highly torsionally stressed area the key cannot be a substantial item otherwise it too would be a stress raiser causing potential crank failures!

Hence it is merely a locator device for the damper itself on the shaft !

The secret if you want to call it that is the very high torque applied to the retaining bolt and stepped cone washer which in effect is creating a crush style clamping condition.
Obviously then, the repair modis operandi is to recreate the factory crush condition by using a new bolt and washer plus of course a factory damper which has the correct shore hardness element.
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
obie (08-27-2016), ozelotl (07-24-2017)
Old 08-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #63
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,468 Times in 4,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
Update, I can move the outer ring in/out about 3/32" with one hand. Time to replace I think.
Update,

I replaced the balancer. The Factory bolt was definitely not torqued to the current specs, I would estimate it took less than 100ft-lbs to break it loose.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #64
GrayGhost

The most frightening automotive install I have ever done was an upgraded pulley on my Merc E55 AMG . The torque spec and subsequent degree movement after took a 6 ft long breaker bar and me pushing on it hard enough that we nearly knocked the car off the lift!!
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #65
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,770 Times in 8,747 Posts

If you need to press on there may be a response to a loss of rubber bond on the harmonic balancer. The ring can be removed and the Sprinter driven with the ring missing.

At least it worked for Alexk243. I personally would keep my speeds/rpm down a bit. I have no data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
So the outside ring on the harmonic balancer is loose and spinning freely... Appears the bolt is tight... How much time do I have? I am 500 miles from home.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
How high is up?

The proper answer is that it needs to be repaired. If it comes loose it can do a bunch of damage.

One possibility. If the ring will pass over the serpentine belt pulley. Remove the serpentine belt, remove the separated ring, and re-install the belt.

That should get rid of the balancer failing.

Were I to try that I would keep my speeds down to 55 mph to keep engine rpm's down. That said, there may be rpm ranges where more vibration is noticed than in others. If discovered I would avoid those ranges.

There must be many people who have run the T1N with a partially failed harmonic balancer which wasn't doing the job.

To be clear. I have never tried what I suggest above. I have no idea what the risks of trying it may be.

Good luck.

vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
So I have no reception and Wi-Fi but I guess I reached the same conclusion that you guys did. I drove 50 miles on it to an awesome diesel mechanic shop and they took the belt off and removed the ring. They also made sure the harmonic balancer was on there tight. After that (10 mins or so haha) I headed back and made the last 500 miles or so safely. Noticed a lot higher vibration as I approached 70 mph so stayed well below that.

You can see the ring removed on the floor of the shop by the driver door.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Sorry I could only check it when I was at a place with Wi-Fi

Now my next question is what harmonic balancer is recommend for replacement? I am fine paying more so this does not happen again. Any thoughts?
As always, clicking the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:38 AM   #66
alexk243
KulAdventure

To add to that I would double check the tightness of the pulley when you remove the broke ring.

As I mentioned too there was definitely a RPM range where you noticed a louder engine and vibration, just made sure I avoided that range.

my 500 miles home was all highway driving around 65mph. Mechanic said the ring was rubbing on the belt, but had not done any damage so I would look at that also.

Does anyone have advice on tools to lock the flywheel?

My Website/Blog with Projects and Write Ups on my Van
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexk243 For This Useful Post:
anon7 (05-27-2018), Aqua Puttana (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 01:53 AM   #67
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,468 Times in 4,090 Posts

This tool worked great for me.

http://amzn.to/2dZk7u1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
anon7 (05-27-2018), ozelotl (07-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #68
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,220 Times in 5,208 Posts

Plus you will need a torque wrench with excess of 240 lbf ft capacity plus a long knuckle bar!
To angle tighten it. AND a 27 mm deep socket!

Alex just a question??
I see that picture of your van with all those bloody push bikes hanging on the back!
I hope you don't transport them like that?
That looks down right scary from what I can see especially for other road users !
Kind takes me back to my days in the ME and when the Kuwaitis were on the move to the Haj driving their Olds 98 full size Yank Tanks.
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #69
alexk243
KulAdventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
Plus you will need a torque wrench with excess of 240 lbf ft capacity plus a long knuckle bar!
To angle tighten it. AND a 27 mm deep socket!

Alex just a question??
I see that picture of your van with all those bloody push bikes hanging on the back!
I hope you don't transport them like that?
That looks down right scary from what I can see especially for other road users !
Kind takes me back to my days in the ME and when the Kuwaitis were on the move to the Haj driving their Olds 98 full size Yank Tanks.
Dennis
Yeah the bikes were transported that way. They are really secure on the Yakima rack mounted to a 2" reciever, didn't have any issues with them...

Not sure what is so scary for other road users, they are on there really secure and cabled on to the hitch as a backup, plus they are in view of the rear camera which is always on.

Here is another pic of it on the move:

My Website/Blog with Projects and Write Ups on my Van

Last edited by alexk243; 10-24-2016 at 12:01 AM.
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #70
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,770 Times in 8,747 Posts

DIY seal replacement with some great tips by 2004VannaWhite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post

Pay close attention to the position of the existing seal before removing it. A proper seal tool will set the correct depth. Seals can be set without the correct special tool, but it does require some caution. The seal metal must not be distorted during installation. Have you checked with Harbor Freight? I think they sell a universal seal tool.

I have at times used 3/4" drive or other sockets to set a seal into place. A piece of proper diameter plastic pipe is another possibility.

Have fun.
vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004VannaWhite View Post
Seal driver is not the big issue you will have, its getting that crank bolt out that will be difficult for the DIYer.

Once the balancer is off you can remove the extant seal with a screw driver. Place the tip of a flat blade into the seal, so the tip is parallel with the seal face, tip tight against the back side of the face lip. Be sure you get the tip under the metal portion of the face of the seal. Use the opposite side of the opening (crank hub was just in this place) and a small piece of wood/cardboard/sacrificial material as the fulcrum for the screwdriver shaft. Pry the old one out.

Lightly lube the outside of the new seal with motor oil, as well as the inside of the spring seal groove. Using a suitable diameter THING that puts pressure on the aforementioned metal shoulder of the front face of the new seal, tap it into place. I cannot recall if the front main seal bore in the timing cover has a blind lip at the back (most MBZs do NOT). Drive the seal in until the face of the seal is flush with the cover. A slightly over sized THING (from above) will stop the seal when flush.

Lightly lubricate the inner and outer portion of the new balancers hub (machined surfaces that will be in contact with the seal and crank nose) and install the balancer by hand, paying close attention to the woodruff key alignment. Don't force anything with tools, if it gets sticky, stop, remove and go again. 50% of the new balancers for MBZ I install are incredibly tight, the other half fall right on. A quick, and I mean quick, pass with 600 grit in the throat of the new balancer will often be all it takes to make the balancer easier to install. The keyway often has a small burr that will make the fit seem impossibly tight.

MBZ makes a "special tool" to hold the balancer while you reverse torque the crank bolt (which, BTW is a stretch bolt, and some will say should not be used again). Barring that tools use, you can pull the inspection plugs off the bottom of the trans bell housing and use a pry bar to lock the flywheel by inserting its tip into a ring gear groove (requires to upright bipedal carbon based life forms). I have also seen people insert the pry bar into the space between the TQ converter and the flex plate and use the inspection window as the fulcrum. I cant say that I recommend that, but will do in a pinch.

Good luck!
vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 05-31-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
ozelotl (07-24-2017)