Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 05-23-2019, 02:51 AM   #1
Normand

Default Unity Mb shower skylight yellowish

Is this normal? We own a Unity MB 2016 and the shower skylight used to be clear. Nowaday it became strongly yellowish. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix it? The calking around it has small cracks
Normand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

Default Re: Unity Mb shower skylight yellowish

Yes that is normal if your RV is continuously exposed to the sun and stored outside without a cover. Some plastics will yellow and become brittle. And yes your sealant will become hardened and crack causing you possible roof leaks if not attended to. If you have GoPower soft panels, they too will become dull, delaminate, and eventually fail. Excessive exposure to sun and weather on your RV without routine maintenance will eventually shorten it's life and value.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
mikeme
2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6

The cracks in the caulk are normal. get some sikaflex and go over the cracks (clean the existing first)

you can try a headlight restoration kit.

something like
https://www.amazon.com/3M-39084-Head...01725491&psc=1

works like a charm on old headlights that are crazed and yellowed.

alternative is to get a new one, install it and caulk with the right stuff, and keep it coated with a UV resistant product.

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Sometimes.."
mikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
TStiles
2018 Unity CB

Now, I keep my Unity stored indoors, so I haven't experienced the issue Normand describes. Nevertheless, it seems ludicrous to me that someone (TripleE) would install a skylight that is not UV tolerant. Boat manufacturers have been doing so for decades...
Normand (05-23-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:35 AM   #5
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,022 Times in 558 Posts

It depends on the plastic. Acrylic is naturally UV Resistant. Lexan is not and will yellow unless UV inhibitors are added while it's being made. But I agree about their selection of materials. The manufacturer of the skylight is more likely to blame and may have a Warranty.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,475 Times in 739 Posts

My skylight isn't yellowed but the big plastic collar trim piece for both bathroom and main room were terribly yellowed. I took them down and spray painted them with Rustoleum for plastics and they look brand new. Becareful with them as they have also gotten brittle in thinner areas in areas.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,591 Times in 8,627 Posts

On a travel trailer with a similar (I assume) skylight, my visual inspection had me determine that the yellowing was not just on the surface. I just cleaned well and painted with UV resistant clear coat.

x10 on roof inspection and PM. Every RV should have at least an annual inspection/repair of the roof and window sealants. A Spring/Fall schedule is even better.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Normand

You are right , the yellowing is in depth. I thought that the same type of "plastic" was used with the shower skylight but the one in the living area, that can be opened, remained colorless. Now I need to investigate whom manufacture it but accordingly to LTV it is a good job to replace it. They are screwed and Dicor502 on it.
Normand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,022 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand View Post
You are right , the yellowing is in depth. I thought that the same type of "plastic" was used with the shower skylight but the one in the living area, that can be opened, remained colorless. Now I need to investigate whom manufacture it but accordingly to LTV it is a good job to replace it. They are screwed and Dicor502 on it.
There could be different plastics used because all manufacturers make a decision. I agree it's dumb to NOT choose one that doesn't yellow. With Lexan (polycarbonate) it can be avoided by the manufacturer of the sheet pretreating it with a special UV coating, or adding UV inhibitors when it's made. Nearly all plastics get brittle with exposure to UV (especially vinyl windows). It's just the nature of the beast.

You may have butyrate in that shower. That will definitely yellow and about the only thing you can do is replace it. You can however, try the kit someone mentioned -- for restoring headlights. If you get lucky, that's the easiest fix.

Are you sure it was not tinted yellow in the beginning -- sort of a UV-blocking treatment or to cut down the heat during the Summer?

And a final thought -- does it bother you so much that an expensive repair is worth it? I cover mine from the inside with a Reflectix insert to control heat this time of year. So I wouldn't see it every day, anyway.