Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 Talk

VS30 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 W907 Sprinters.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #11
cacaw

Default Re: ordering decisions.... MBUX or no MBUX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksotar View Post
Isn't it against the law to drive with both ear buds in or headphones on ?!?!
Yep, but who's to know which is actually more dangerous - low volume music through an earbud or high volume full-range music through an amplified speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksotar View Post
Does he constantly txt while driving too ??
Yes, using voice commands.

He's actually a very good driver, probably because he's been a strong cyclist his entire life. But distracted driving is becoming a real problem. What's frustrating is that there are easy ways to solve the problem but the phone companies are acutely aware that they will cut into profits.

A friend from Germany says there are far fewer texting accidents there, because there are far more manual transmissions and it's impossible to use a phone with a stick shift.
cacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
wquek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacaw View Post

A friend from Germany says there are far fewer texting accidents there, because there are far more manual transmissions and it's impossible to use a phone with a stick shift.

Oh itís definitely possible to text and shift gears. Check phone, type a few characters, put phone down on seat between legs, grab shifter, change gears and pick up phone, keep texting, rinse and repeat. We arenít shifting 99% of the time so itís totally doable.

Also, itís against the law to drive with both earbuds on in certain places. Even if your phone is dead.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5152375/b...phone-earbuds/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wquek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #13
sulkorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbyros View Post
Hello from Poland. Does your MBUX work immediately "Hey Mercedes?" Sprinter W910 automaton, I have it at home but in the version without navigation and does not work. No microphone because the dealer claims that in this configuration without navi there is no microphone? But you do not hear me when I want to talk on the phone. Does anyone have such a problem? And how to turn on Info screen which shows hp, voltage, torque, and oil/engine temperatures? I no have it in menu ?
"Hey Mercedes" is always listening when it is turned on. Kind of annoying, as even if you say "Mercedes" it chimes in asking what you want to do. Not sure on the microphone thing, as I do have navigation.

For the Info page, it is not accessible via any Favorites, or the buttons by the radio.

You have to touch the "Gauge/speedometer" Icon on the, or navigate from the steering wheel. It is accessible from the main page, where you choose the Telephone, navigation, Radio, Info.
sulkorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #14
The Grand Tour
Banned

I think we're gonna take a pass on MBUX.
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #15
PeterW

We've also taken a pass on MBUX in favour of an aftermarket system - want to be sure we can set up audio that will run indefinitely while camped, from the house battery, and would prefer to upgrade one good system vs having a separate system for the back.
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #16
grantwilson
VanGoOutdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
We've also taken a pass on MBUX in favour of an aftermarket system - want to be sure we can set up audio that will run indefinitely while camped, from the house battery, and would prefer to upgrade one good system vs having a separate system for the back.
bluetooth speaker.

done
Authorized Dealer for Dometic, Ripplewear, Tern Overland, Van Compass and more!
www.vangooutdoors.com
www.youtube.com/GrantWilsonFL
www.Instagram.com/FreedomVanGo
grantwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grantwilson For This Useful Post:
cacaw (05-22-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #17
sulkorp

The one thing I did see is that there is an activation option for Android OR Apple Carplay.

It seems like if you have an MBUX you may be able to go to a dealer to have it activated.

I have not reached out to my local dealer to see what the price is.

Android and Apple are different activation, so I cannot say if it is a universal activation for "smart phones" or you have to choose.
sulkorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #18
kinjachris

Has anyone installed an after market head unit in the sprinter van?

I found the rear back up camera in the mirror option to be just completely inadequate as it is so impossibly small and shows very little detail.

I want a full screen backup camera but there are next to no sprinters for sale with this option if you don't want a white or black one. It seems to me the only viable option is to buy a double din nav unit from crutchfield and install it after purchase. I'd like to know if this is going to work before i commit to the van. double din units run 400-1000 with lots of options. They key will be if it can connect into the wire that senses when the van is put in reverse to activate the unit automatically. Has anyone done this yet?
kinjachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
Notfamous

Just a heads up. The speakers are small so the audio experience in the VS30 is a good bit underwhelming for me. This is my first sprinter but the stock Wrangler sound system sounds way better than the 2 (maybe a 3rd in the center dash?) setup this thing has. I will be upgrading...I just don't know if anyone has done it yet or if the MBUX will detect a change in the speakers (apparently newer systems know when a speaker has changed or been replaced).
Notfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:51 PM   #20
Gski

In Canada, Apple CarPlay and Android SuperShare are both pre-licensed with no expiry date.

CarPlay works quite well, except that the audio sounds exactly like a traditional OEM stereo system. You can easily identify the song thatís playing, so the sound quality is better than some. The phone audio quality is good: the other person can clearly hear that you are talking from inside a bare metal box. (And yes, insulating and covering the walls/roof just jumped to the top of the priority list, go figure.)

I love the 360 camera for parking and the ability to get google maps on the big display, so I would still recommend MBUX.

As a new owner, the ability to use MBUX to quickly tweak vehicle settings at a red light is a huge asset. This will probably be less useful after a week of ownership.

For music, my original plan is unchanged: a bluetooth speaker system powered/recharged by usb C, attached to the house battery not the starter battery.
Gski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gski For This Useful Post:
wachuko (07-01-2019), wquek (05-24-2019)