Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Write-Ups

NCV3 Write-Ups Help other NCV3 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 AM   #1
slcpowderhound

Default High roof sprinter with rack

Hey all, I have a 170" high roof sprinter and am looking at getting a roof rack for it. I have a rear A/C unit and a vent fan in the rear above the platform bed. I am hoping to put a Yakima box and another platform style tray on the rack, side by side. I am planning on buying the RB components high roof rack that will extend above the AC unit and allow the rear vent to be opened with the cargo box above it. I believe the rack raises the crossbars 12" off the roof. Make sense?

Anyway, I guess my question is if anyone has done a similar thing, is that too much height to add on to an already tall vehicle? Any issues that you have had? Thinking low branches at some campgrounds, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
slcpowderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com

Default Re: High roof sprinter with rack

As one who designed my own full roof rack which added a foot to the high roof height, it has never been an issue with handling on the road. Using aluminum as the framing structure helps. My height is just under 10', which I know because some service repair stations have a 10' height and I can just barely squeeze inside them. I know my mileage is affected, but the usefulness of having an upper deck far outweighs the loss of couple miles per gallon.

I have had a full roof rack for decades on all of my vans, and my current Sprinter is no exception. Agile Offroad's suspension upgrades has it handling better than ever, even before the roof rack was added.

I only carry a spare for the spare up there, along with a pv panel to keep the weight down, but I can carry construction materials when needed. It is carpeted and has a number of flush mount tie downs for strapping down gear and makes for a great observation deck at times.
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com View Post
As one who designed my own full roof rack which added a foot to the high roof height, it has never been an issue with handling on the road. Using aluminum as the framing structure helps. My height is just under 10', which I know because some service repair stations have a 10' height and I can just barely squeeze inside them. I know my mileage is affected, but the usefulness of having an upper deck far outweighs the loss of couple miles per gallon.

I have had a full roof rack for decades on all of my vans, and my current Sprinter is no exception. Agile Offroad's suspension upgrades has it handling better than ever, even before the roof rack was added.

I only carry a spare for the spare up there, along with a pv panel to keep the weight down, but I can carry construction materials when needed. It is carpeted and has a number of flush mount tie downs for strapping down gear and makes for a great observation deck at times.
OK - JC you have been talking about your full roof rack on this forum since you joined in 2011. Still no photos so we all have to guess this roof rack is a figment of your imagination. It sounds like a very interesting design that many of us would like to know more about. Surely you can get someone to snap a few photos with a smart phone and email you the pictures. Then you can post the photos for all to see and you will become our new hero! Thanks for the info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boxster1971 For This Useful Post:
danski0224 (04-27-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:12 AM   #4
slcpowderhound

I'd be curious to see it as well, particularly if it extends above the rear AC unit (assuming you have one). I'd also be interested to see how others get their racks to clear an AC unit or vent fan.

I have ordered my 12" tall cross bars from RB and will drop a note here with initial impression once they are installed, just in case anyone is curious.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
slcpowderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:50 AM   #5
flyag1

Roof racks seem to be hot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roofrack black.jpg (94.0 KB, 286 views)
flyag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyag1 For This Useful Post:
Boxster1971 (03-04-2019), Surveillance Van (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com

For the doubters, I don't have the ability to post photos but have offered anyone in my area that they would be welcome to shoot some pics and post them.

Not all people choose to have a smart phone. They do have their advantages, but the daily observed behavior everywhere on the road has shown me that smartness does not translate to the users.

I have described in detail what I designed. Use your imagination if you have one. Or drop by sometime to see the real thing.

I don't have a rooftop ac unit, thankfully, so the entire roof is open space for the floor of the roof rack.

Aluminess once took a bunch of photos of my roof rack at a gathering by San Diego Bay a couple of years ago that Agile Offroad sponsored.
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

JC - you donít need a smart phone to post pictures on this forum. You obviously have email and probably a desktop or laptop PC to access this forum.

Eight years of talking about something without even one photo? Do you know anyone that can take a few photos and email them to your gmail account?

If I lived closer to your Iíd come by and take the photos.

Good luck,
Old 03-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #8
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

Hey JC - does it look anything like these two?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0518.jpg (103.6 KB, 254 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Boxster1971 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #9
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

JC - here are a couple of Aluminess rack photos that I recall you looked at but didn't like. I assume yours does not have the double side rails. Also you extended the rack 2 feet beyond the back of van.

Did you relocate the radio antenna when adding the front air dam? What did you use for the front and side air dams to smooth air flow? How high is your roof deck platform above the Sprinter roof?

Last month you posted that an insurance appraiser took photos of your van. Can you get those photos emailed to you so you can post them for all to see your distinctive roof rack? You really should keep a copy of any photos taken by your appraiser - you paid for them after all.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=21

If you can't post the photos yourself - I'd be glad to do it for you. I can send you my email by a PM on this forum. Then you can have appraiser send me photos to post.

In this post from last year you said; "I had a bead of aluminum welded onto the rain gutter contact along that whole length."

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=23

Isn't the rain gutter made from steel? How did you weld aluminum to the rain gutters?

Best wishes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0520.JPG (228.4 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0523.JPG (389.9 KB, 211 views)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #10
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

Here are a few more from Pinterest that might be close. But don't have the front and side air dams. Both overhang the front and rear by a few inches...

Also this video fro YouTube is interesting for the pure simplicity to add a roof deck and fixed solar panel...

https://youtu.be/BCUXoHRIqtk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0525.jpg (103.2 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0524.JPG (89.9 KB, 213 views)