Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 01-21-2019, 02:55 AM   #1
jwb5th

Default Replacing TV in 2016 Unity MB

So we get our new-to-us Unity and want to replace the "dumb" TV with a "smart" one. First discovery is that it is not a 40" but rather a 39" set. That seriously narrowed down the options. A new Vizio was possible only in theory because they may exist but I could find no one who still carried the unit. Some 39" TV's would not fit the setup - too wide. Finally came across the Insignia NS-39DF510NA19 39-inch 1080p Full HD Smart LED TV - Fire. Not only was it available but it was Best Buy's Deal of the Day and was $150. (Now back to $230)

Now the fun began. It was the right dimensions, but did not fit the bracket as configured for the Vizio. It used the outer channels instead of the inner ones, the bracket itself had to be dropped an inch, and the power cord (which was the same one) would not reach the TV through the route that currently existed. Our 10 minute job took the better part of an afternoon.

But, the TV is great! Picked up the internet and our subscribed services easily (Netfix and Prime) and even works with Alexa. Sound for a small unit is also very good. I truly hope it lasts because I would not want to have to go on another 39" snipe hunt again.
jwb5th is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jwb5th For This Useful Post:
hoosierrun (01-21-2019), IndyDick (01-22-2019), Old Crows (01-26-2019), QuadTips (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:58 AM   #2
QuadTips
2017 LTV Unity MB LL+

Default Re: Replacing TV in 2016 Unity MB

Thanks for the info, that is the only 39" 1080p smart TV I could find in stock anywhere. It's nice to know it does fit with a little effort.

jeff
QuadTips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Steve Lewis

At the LTV Flamingles rally during the Tampa RV show, Don Klassen mentioned that Vizio was discontinuing its 39-inch smart TV in the MB rigs and would be replacing it with a 40-inch set. He said that even though the size change was minimal, it was causing problems because the tolerances for placing a TV in the cabinet are very tight.
Steve Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
Gamma1966
2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB

Arrow Re: Replacing TV in 2016 Unity MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb5th View Post
So we get our new-to-us Unity and want to replace the "dumb" TV with a "smart" one. First discovery is that it is not a 40" but rather a 39" set. That seriously narrowed down the options. A new Vizio was possible only in theory because they may exist but I could find no one who still carried the unit. Some 39" TV's would not fit the setup - too wide. Finally came across the Insignia NS-39DF510NA19 39-inch 1080p Full HD Smart LED TV - Fire. Not only was it available but it was Best Buy's Deal of the Day and was $150. (Now back to $230)

Now the fun began. It was the right dimensions, but did not fit the bracket as configured for the Vizio. It used the outer channels instead of the inner ones, the bracket itself had to be dropped an inch, and the power cord (which was the same one) would not reach the TV through the route that currently existed. Our 10 minute job took the better part of an afternoon.

But, the TV is great! Picked up the internet and our subscribed services easily (Netfix and Prime) and even works with Alexa. Sound for a small unit is also very good. I truly hope it lasts because I would not want to have to go on another 39" snipe hunt again.
Does the Insignia NS-39DF510NA19 Smart TV also handle the TV signals from Over The Air antenae and from cable in the same manner as the Visio .. i.e. thru a menu system?
Gamma1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
jwb5th

I know over the air works and can think of no reason cable would not. Have not had the opportunity to try it, however. LTV might want to consider switching to this unit in their new vans. All of their cut out templates and brackets will work. They will just need to be put together slightly differently. The end results looks exactly the same in the entertainment center.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:17 AM   #6
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Vizio came out with an upgraded smart version just this past year, which is the one I installed. Took all of 30 minutes, if that. Bought it at Best Buy. Donated the old one to Goodwill.

The model is D39f-F0, but Vizio has been posting "Coming Soon" for about a year, now. And Best Buy lists it as discontinued, already. Bizarre!!

Last edited by Scarecrow; 01-22-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
RichNJohn
2018 Unity MB

The "Dumb" Vizio in our 2018 works fine so I just hooked it up to Apple TV and am happy with the peripheral brain. http://mikegyver.com/store/index.php...+Truck%2C+Boat

Now if I could just run the TV and Dish Wally off 12 volts I wouldn't have to run the battery robbing inverter...

Sorry, pet peeve
Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
CashedOut

Now I'm hoping my Visio lasts a while. Hopefully there are more choices when it comes time to replace it.

Like RnJ, I added Apple TV to generate smart features. In addition, I added an Engenius ethernet bridge set up as a directional antenna and fed through an Apple wireless router for full house wireless. I'm cautious about hogging bandwidth but we get incredible wifi signal with two levels of security (bridge and router) and can easily stream online programming. The antenna is on a pole which mounts in seconds to my rear ladder at each overnight and a laptop utility allows me to enter required security passwords for internet access. The second benefit of this setup is that it effectively satisfies the Apple TV requirement that it and the streaming device (ipad or macbook) be on the same network as they are now both under the Apple router secure network.

For better sound I also added a Bose sound bar model without a subwoofer. Great sound despite no sub and it also has bluetooth connectivity so I can stream music from my phone rather than use the somewhat challenged Jensen system. Unfortunately, the sound bar won't fit on the TV mount so must be set on top of he TV and connected each time we set up. I store it under the TV when traveling and it only takes a minute to set up.
CashedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #9
jwb5th

I looked everywhere for that Vizio (and I know how to do online searching) and came up blank. I even contacted Vizio and asked them for guidance. Bump kiss.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

I cannot swear that any source online is trustworthy, but I found it here. Odds are, it's not in stock:
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?2...SABEgJc8PD_BwE

This one is used, and local pickup only in Wisconsin:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-D39F-...YAAOSwrm5cR02g

None above may be cheaper than the the Insignia. I would stick with the Insignia. Vizio's marketing of this is bizarre.

I did examine the possibility of retrofitting a 40" into the pop-up cabinet, but decided it was too much work and expense. You have to move the left side wall that shields the fuse box, and replace the solid surface top, etc.

Last edited by Scarecrow; 01-24-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote