Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
dbrown8804@yahoo.com
Ridgerunner

Default ready to change o rings in fuel rail solenoid question

I'm going through the write up for this project and I'm a little confused about the tools needed even though there are some really nice pictures . What size torx are the bolts on the solenoid? Are you using a 1/4" size socket on a 1/4 drive handle? I guess I'm not following the logic here. I'm going to buy the magnetic bit holder and cut to 1 1/2" and get a 1/4' drive swivel. What do I attach at the end of this tool to remove the bolts? Thanks and sorry for the need to explain. I'm very new to this beast.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:34 AM   #2
SneakyAnarchistVanCamper
Reading till my eyesbleed

Default Re: ready to change o rings in fuel rail solenoid question

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29457

"

The big problem is how to get the two screws out. They are E8 torx, located slightly below the round casing of the valve. It is very difficult to get your hands back there. Tools are discussed above. My work-around was a Harbor Freight standard 1/4 drive E8 socket on a hex to 1/4 2-inch adapter, cut down by 1/2 inch, and a 1/4 racket closed end wrench. I quickly lost them down the back and spent 30 minutes digging them out from within the manifold enclosure. So I put some strings on each to pull them out after the next drop."
SneakyAnarchistVanCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SneakyAnarchistVanCamper For This Useful Post:
dbrown8804@yahoo.com (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
dbrown8804@yahoo.com
Ridgerunner

Thanks SneakyAnarchistVanCamper. The van is in my driveway in Upstate NY and it's going to be wicked cold. I think that's only going to add to the difficulty. I'm on a timeline and can't wait for warmer weather. The service manual says to remove the fuel rail to access the solenoid to avoid the difficult repair which I won't do...yet. I hope this goes as planned. Thanks as always for the support at this forum.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

Tape and super glue(or even wood glue) can make tools stay together temporarily.

I work out in northern Wisconsin plenty and sometimes vinyl tight mechanics gloves really help.
If you have a pail of hot water just stick your gloved hand right in to warm up.

Fire up the charcoal grill or gas grill and bring it close. Make lunch for everyone and yourself.

A heat gun is so nice and inexpensive. It's a great hand warmer and parts warmer but be careful with it.
Hang a tarp to block the wind and catch the sun.
Get a decent step stool so you can lay in.

Work between 11am-3pm

Good luck brother.

bill in tomahawk
Transporter 1 Neu 154HP
2500 140"WB, low top

Last edited by billintomahawk; 01-11-2019 at 02:59 PM.
billintomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billintomahawk For This Useful Post:
dbrown8804@yahoo.com (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
dbrown8804@yahoo.com
Ridgerunner

Thumbs up Re: ready to change o rings in fuel rail solenoid question

So good news update. JSL and I are teaming up to work on this Sprinter. With all the great tips on this forum we were able to remove and rebuild the fuel rail solenoid and guess what? IT STARTED ! I have to confess that JSL did most of the hard work with the long reach to the back of the fuel rail. I built the tool that was recommended by tampaguy and also used some electrical tape to hold the pieces together and that was the best advice ever for this job. I had built a wood frame for a tarp covered enclosure with a propane tank heater that at least gave us enough warm space to work without gloves for the most part. Of course we took it out for the first time since we owned it for a quick test drive and when we got it back into my driveway a brake line promptly broke. Better in my driveway than on the road test. We also did break some plastic off of the Voss connector on the low fuel pump outlet so now we have to replace that too. I'm hoping we can get just the fuel line that runs from the low pump outlet to the high pressure pump inlet. Will also be shopping for new brake lines as well. Many, many thanks to all of the experts at this forum. Without your help we'd still be completed lost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbrown8804@yahoo.com For This Useful Post:
autostaretx (01-14-2019), SneakyAnarchistVanCamper (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #6
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

https://europarts-sd.com/fuelline2002-2003-1-2-1-1.asp

https://www.idparts.com/way-fuel-lin...12-p-4306.html

Is this it?

bill
Transporter 1 Neu 154HP
2500 140"WB, low top
billintomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billintomahawk For This Useful Post: