Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 4x4 Talk

VS30 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #81
kosmo

Default Re: 2019 4x4

Bummer on the 4x4 lift.

Good for the wallet, though. The lift ruins it for my purposes, so no need to even consider it.
kosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:36 AM   #82
3rdGen2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
Bummer on the 4x4 lift.

Good for the wallet, though. The lift ruins it for my purposes, so no need to even consider it.
I feel the same but for a different reason. I was really looking forward to ordering a 4x4 but the steel/rust issue is quite possibly a deal breaker for me. MB announced that the South-Carolina - made models would benefit from new technologies (regarding the painting?) to reduce corrosion, I'm hoping that together with North American steel recipes it should resist rust better than the current products. But if the 4x4 is produced in Germany then the latter falls and the former possibly too because the new corrosion preventive techniques were to be implemented at the Charleston plant but perhaps not at the plant in Germany.

On the other hand the welders and other plant workers are more experienced in Germany, some ppl think this may make a difference especially in the first months of the new plants. Also the same 4x4 drivetrain from oberaigner with the 7spd transmission should be good news.
3rdGen2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:57 AM   #83
Peanut Butter

Will there be welders in the new SC plant? I heard they will be utilizing extensive robotics.
Peanut Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peanut Butter For This Useful Post:
sailquik (10-03-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #84
OffroadHamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantwilson View Post
So selling mine to build another if this ends up being true
I might be right there with you. 7spd plus adaptive cruise and lane keeping...considering most of my miles are highway on long straight stretches between mountain ranges through the deserts....

Considering that the US produces ~80 million tonnes of crude steel, exports 10mt and imports another 35mt of high grade steel from countries like Japan and Germany who have steel making capacity (in therms of high grade stainless, chromolly etc) that the united states does not have, I would not attribute a difference in corrosion performance of the sprinter to the country it is manufactured in.

Further, tooling up for a new model should be commensurate across the model regardless of country of manufacture. If you think they are not rolling manufacturing improvements into their other assembly plants, your probably kidding yourself. They are building in the US now because the size of the market warrants it. The $$$$$ invested in new infrastructure is saved by legitimately avoiding the chicken tax by manufacturing here because they expect to now sell enough units in NA.

Finally, if you think there is anyone hand welding the sprinter body you are not up with the times. Laser beam, friction stir, resistance seem and other automated welding (automated GMAW, MIG, TIG etc) have largely, and in many cases completely replaced human welding of automobile assemblies.

Finally finalkly...the undercoating on my van is commendable and the paint seems to be better than average. I guess if you drive a chipped up van through the rust belt and never wash the salt off it you will see rust issues, but no more so than any other vehicle from what I have seen.

Last edited by OffroadHamster; 10-08-2018 at 09:30 PM.
OffroadHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OffroadHamster For This Useful Post:
bluewander (10-09-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #85
Wrinkledpants

Since the engine and driveline are the same as the NCV3, I have to believe someone will find a way to retrofit the 7-speed. I'm also looking forward to retrofitting the wet wiper system as this setup on other MB's has heated blades.

The only other options I want from the new van are the LED headlights. Other than that, I much prefer the NVC3 interior, especially with the open pockets on the dash since we frequently have things up there. I also *really* like the cruise control setup with the stalk. Our VW has steering wheel-based cruise, and I hate that I have to turn it on first, and then often glance down to see what button to push. The stalk setup is always on and ready to go.

LED headlights, ACC, and auto braking would be nice, but not enough to make me sell our well optioned 2017.
pdxkid (10-24-2018), shouldbeasy (10-24-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #86
Sprinttothecabin

I don't think this was posted yet on this forum yet.

https://newatlas.com/hymer-sprinter-...56100/#gallery
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 05BC19E7-203A-4D37-A4B9-F5DECEF0B00D.jpeg (28.0 KB, 255 views)
Sprinttothecabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #87
roadracer

Hopefully they bring that to the US. I love the Revel layout, but the build quality and details keep my away from buying one. Be nice if there was some competition in the segment.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #88
niknas

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Hopefully they bring that to the US. I love the Revel layout, but the build quality and details keep my away from buying one. Be nice if there was some competition in the segment.
Don’t let the Facebook posters influence your opinion of the Revel. I have had mine for 3 months and 6000 plus miles. Other than the window rattle (easy fix) my Revel has been flawless.
niknas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:50 AM   #89
3rdGen2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadHamster View Post
Considering that the US produces ~80 million tonnes of crude steel, exports 10mt and imports another 35mt of high grade steel from countries like Japan and Germany who have steel making capacity (in therms of high grade stainless, chromolly etc) that the united states does not have, I would not attribute a difference in corrosion performance of the sprinter to the country it is manufactured in.
Quote:
I guess if you drive a chipped up van through the rust belt and never wash the salt off it you will see rust issues, but no more so than any other vehicle from what I have seen.
Thanks for your input. I'm definitely not trying to put down MB or the sprinter, in fact I like MB and the sprinter and as you can guess from my username I hope that the new gen will be a big success. I'm also not putting down German steel. I live in a place where a pretty massive amount of salt is used on roads during the winter, almost on a daily basis. After talking to owners, dealerships, and observing vans of different brands - the main complaint I hear and see about sprinters around here is the rusting tendencies. Indeed its very easy to see a rusting 2 years old sprinter - but i've never seen a rusting 2 years old transit. Now I dont want to turn this into a transit vs sprinter, and I think sprinters have many advantages over the transits, but nobody can convince me that the sprinters of the last few years have been as resistant to rust as many (in fact most) other vehicles that I see on the roads around here. I'm sure its not an issue in many places in North America, where salt is used much more sporadically. I think I've read that in 2015 ? MB made some changes to improve the rust issue, IDK how much it helped.

As to why the sprinters tend to rust quicker than other vans in my climate, I dont know the answer. Some have claimed that the sprinters made in Germany are made of recycled steel, which is cheaper or better for the environment, but not as corrosion resistant. So again not saying German steel in general is crap, just that one possibility is that the German sprinters are made of recycled steel which rust more easily. I think I've read that the Polish postal service bought many sprinters a few years ago and quickly learned that their country's heavy use of road salt made those vans rust prematurely.

Quote:
Further, tooling up for a new model should be commensurate across the model regardless of country of manufacture. If you think they are not rolling manufacturing improvements into their other assembly plants, your probably kidding yourself.
not necessarily. I'm pretty sure that in general building a new plant comes with opportunities for incorporating new or improved technologies, which would not necessarily be possible or cost effective to retrofit to an existing plant. again just my opinion. It would be great if MB would provide more info regarding corrosion resistance - how the steel used at the SC plant differs from the steel used at the German plant, if the painting etc technologies are exactly the same at both plants for the 3rd Gen and if not how it might affect rusting , etc

Last edited by 3rdGen2019; 10-17-2018 at 02:53 AM.
3rdGen2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #90
grantwilson
VanGoOutdoors

Pretty much confirmed accross the net that the 2019 will be the same as the 18 with the new stuff on top and a 7 speed.

Van Go Outdoor Outfitters - St. Augustine, FL
The ONLY Certified Adventure Wagon dealer and installer in the SouthEast
Authorized Dealer for Dometic, Ripplewear, Tern Overland, Van Compass and more!
www.vangooutdoors.com
www.youtube.com/GrantWilsonFL
www.Instagram.com/SprincentVango
grantwilson is offline   Reply With Quote