Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 04-08-2016, 11:58 PM   #141
bluematrix

Default Re: Espar Underseat Installation

The current dorman has a single nipple connected by hard plastic to the D5 fuel line. The new dorman has two nipples. Corbury1492 kindly shared his solution in a drawing that I've attached again below.

The drawing shows a 5 to 3mm adapter>brass coupling>to the hose that comes with the D2. He added these because D2 hose is too big to fit on the dorman. This is working for me.

On the second dorman nipple it shows a piece cut from the "kit pipe". Not sure what that is, but all I got is the one D2 hose - it's too big to fit on the first nipple, so it obviously won't fit on the second nipple either.

So not knowing what to do, I ordered another 5 to 3mm adapter and another brass coupling - for the 2nd nipple to the D5. Last night I cut the D5 rigid hose and of course the brass coupling wont fit in it. But I'm thinking yet another chunk of the D2 hose will, and then I'll try to shove the D5 inside of it as shown in the drawing. It going down to freezing temps tonight and there's not much room to maneuver under there... fun times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel drawing.jpg (119.4 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by bluematrix; 04-09-2016 at 12:01 AM.
bluematrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:53 AM   #142
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,558 Posts

I used the rigid tube to connect to the pump inlet, so using rubber hose connection explains the brass adapter need.

George.

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:24 AM   #143
Corbury1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluematrix View Post
The current dorman has a single nipple connected by hard plastic to the D5 fuel line. The new dorman has two nipples. Corbury1492 kindly shared his solution in a drawing that I've attached again below.

The drawing shows a 5 to 3mm adapter>brass coupling>to the hose that comes with the D2. He added these because D2 hose is too big to fit on the dorman. This is working for me.

On the second dorman nipple it shows a piece cut from the "kit pipe". Not sure what that is, but all I got is the one D2 hose - it's too big to fit on the first nipple, so it obviously won't fit on the second nipple either.

So not knowing what to do, I ordered another 5 to 3mm adapter and another brass coupling - for the 2nd nipple to the D5. Last night I cut the D5 rigid hose and of course the brass coupling wont fit in it. But I'm thinking yet another chunk of the D2 hose will, and then I'll try to shove the D5 inside of it as shown in the drawing. It going down to freezing temps tonight and there's not much room to maneuver under there... fun times.
I'm with you - I did it in cold temps in my driveway (finally went to HD and rented a torpedo heater to blow on me while I was under there). In retrospect - I could have done the whole thing without the "special adapter tube". I simply cut a short piece of rubber from the long rubber hose that came with the D2 - and used that to bridge to the D5. the special adapter was too small (on the small end) to fit overtop of the D5 hard plastic tube.

Only because I had ordered 2 adapter tubes - did I use one of them to bridge from the dorman to the "main" piece of rubber tubing - via the brass fitting.

I hope that is more clearly explained.

Clyde
Corbury1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corbury1492 For This Useful Post:
bluematrix (04-11-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #144
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Manual shows either of these 3 connections is OK for the Airtronic D2, rubber tube 5 mm ID, or 4 mm OD x 1 mm wall (2 mm ID) rigid tube or 6 mm x 2 mm wall (2 mm ID) rigid tube up to 5 m length.

For the Hydronic D5 it shows the same 4 mm OD x 1 mm wall up to 2 m.

I am sure that for a longer connection larger ID is better but priming will suffer due to large volume contained in the inlet tube/hose. My D2 connects KL1 outlet to passenger seat, less than 2 m and priming was finish in 3 cycles.

Using rigid 2 mm ID tube eliminates the connectivity headaches.

George.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgeRa For This Useful Post:
bluematrix (04-11-2016), THE (11-16-2018)
Old 04-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #145
bluematrix

Well it was messy, but finally got it to work...

Aux Fuel line from the tank>new dorman T

One side of the T to old D5>5-3mm hose>brass coupling>piece off of supplied D2 hose>rigid plastic of D5 fuel line

Other side of the T to new D2>5-3mm hose>brass coupling>D2 hose

I might have had a shop do this one had I known how hard it was going to be. But it fired up after two recycling tries and really cranks the heat. Thanks all.

Tim
Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #146
Corbury1492

I finally got a real battery installed in the aux location. Wow - what a difference. Camped 2 nights this weekend and the heat stayed on all night. Fantastic!

Ended up with a FullRiver DC-115-12. Strap is temporary - I've ordered a better strap for the battery hold down.

Also some shots of the high-bed installed. Room for bikes below and the 2 benches can stay in place - although the rear bench is not for passengers with rear bed deployed. I'm working on a better clamping system for the beds.

C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3050.JPG (244.1 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3019.JPG (256.8 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3015.JPG (252.6 KB, 356 views)
Corbury1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #147
bluematrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbury1492 View Post
I finally got a real battery installed in the aux location. Wow - what a difference. Camped 2 nights this weekend and the heat stayed on all night. Fantastic!

Ended up with a FullRiver DC-115-12. Strap is temporary - I've ordered a better strap for the battery hold down.

Also some shots of the high-bed installed. Room for bikes below and the 2 benches can stay in place - although the rear bench is not for passengers with rear bed deployed. I'm working on a better clamping system for the beds.

C
Nice!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #148
denniscollective

There are a bunch of wires/heat shields in the way on my 2014 170 cargo under the passenger side. There are wires connected to the wires, and tubes going to the tank that's down there that I'm assuming is the oil tank. Do I need to worry about the exhaust melting wires/tubes or can I just throw it in there and hope?

Thanks!
d
denniscollective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #149
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniscollective View Post
There are a bunch of wires/heat shields in the way on my 2014 170 cargo under the passenger side. There are wires connected to the wires, and tubes going to the tank that's down there that I'm assuming is the oil tank. Do I need to worry about the exhaust melting wires/tubes or can I just throw it in there and hope?

Thanks!
d
I have difficulties deciphering your question, but if you have wires connected to the wires this could be a problem, letís hope together for your safety.

George.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #150
Kauluwela

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I have difficulties deciphering your question, but if you have wires connected to the wires this could be a problem, letís hope together for your safety.

George.
I've got wires connected to my wires too. Sometimes one of the wires comes undone and gives me a bit of a boost.

Bwahahahaha......this gave me a good laugh when I needed one.

I'm about to install my Espar and am reading up, thanks to everyone who has added to this thread, sincerely appreciated.
Kauluwela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kauluwela For This Useful Post:
GeorgeRa (05-25-2016)