Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Advanced RV

Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #171
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,787 Posts
Default Re: Advancing Alvar

Davy,
Thanks for the frequent updates. We are all enjoying vicariously sharing the fun of your settling into you new digs and exploring its impressive capabilities.

A few questions:
--Do you know what the SilverLeaf system is using to measure tank levels? Does the auto-fill feature rely on this system to know when the fresh tank is full, or is there a separate float valve in the tank? I ask because most tank level systems are pretty approximate, and I am wondering whether yours is sufficiently precise to be depended on for this purpose.
--You mentioned that there is a 4/0 cable from the aux generator to the batteries. Is there a similar cable for the ground return, or does it depend on the chassis ground?
--Does ARV install a true battery-monitor system (I am guessing "yes")? If so, what brand?
--I think you once mentioned that you thought that the under-floor heat pad was intended for use via shore-power only. With all that battery capacity is this still true in your rig? Is it enforced or can you run it via the inverter?
--What do you think would happen if (heaven forbid) your SilverLeaf system failed? Are the essential systems of the van able to be controlled manually or would you be dead in the water? Although I love gadgets as much as the next guy, I have been a little chary of central control systems like this, and am wondering if my worry is misplaced.

I realize that these are down-in-the-weeds questions and that it takes time to absorb this level of detail in a new machine. But as you come across this kind of information, I hope you will continue to share. Thanks so much, and again: congrats. You must be on top of the world.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:49 AM   #172
Davydd

The Silverleaf as I understand it does not manage anything but is a reporter/communicator to all the other management systems.

How are tanks measured? Difficult for me to answer though I think I have been told twice. Something about barometric pressure. I know it is not mechanical. For on the fresh water tank is a roto molded odd shaped tank a mechanical system couldn't measure. We auto filled the the water tank today and it shut off and the water is now coming direct without the pump

I know there is the 4/0 cable to the batteries. How it is ground was not discussed so I don't have an answer. ARV could probably answer your questions if you asked. They are very open to their customers but assume most don't care or understand the details. However I had full access to the factory. In fact we spent our first night in our B inside the factory alone. Compared to the battery box being assembled at ARV and the little bit of video Roadtreks revealed I would have to venture Roadtrek is not there yet. ARV has a true battery monitoring system controlling every single cell in voltage and temperature and there appears to be some very sophisticated charge controlling. As I said, if Silverleaf failed only the reporting fails and even that is redundant. The batteries are GBS lithium ion batteries from Elite power Systems. You can Google their website for information but I am guessing ARV is customizing from there.

I'm not on top of the world right now, I'm I Sedona. ;) for the first we are playing with above freezing temperatures and full hookups to see how it works. BTW, the electric floor heat does work off the batteries. We had it on the first night when it was 5 degrees. It is more of a comfort thing as the Espar heat does the heating. When connected to shore power the glycol is heated with electrical. The heat is ducted and comes out of the baseboard from under the kitchen galley. They can also upgrade the Espar and duct back to the beds. We didn't opt for that and after camping down to 0 degrees I don't think it is necessary.

The Van is so well insulated (sound and thermal) and the curtain system is so well designed we can sleep under a parking lot lamp next to a running semi in below freezing temperatures and not be bothered. We did that in Albuquerque. We could not have done that in our Great West Van. That I know for a fact in our prior experiences.

So far we are liking everything about this B. Figuring out where to store and put things is the biggest issue but we went through that agony when going from our Pleasure-way to our Great West Van, so we are taking it all in stride because we know once again we have more storage somewhere once again.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davydd For This Useful Post:
avanti (02-08-2015), Fastpaddler2 (02-09-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #173
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
ARV has a true battery monitoring system controlling every single cell in voltage and temperature and there appears to be some very sophisticated charge controlling.
Oh right. That was a dumb question. I forgot about the modular-cell batteries which you have described before. I assume that each cell has its own shunt or hall-effect sensor, or some such.
Quote:
As I said, if Silverleaf failed only the reporting fails and even that is redundant.
Hmm. But doesn't the Silverleaf do things like read temperature sensors and directly control the Espar heat; and control the lighting in a centralized way? These are the kinds of things that scare me a little. Are there manual overrides for these and other essential systems?
Quote:
I'm not on top of the world right now, I'm I Sedona. ;)
Close enough.
Quote:
The heat is ducted and comes out of the baseboard from under the kitchen galley. They can also upgrade the Espar and duct back to the beds. We didn't opt for that and after camping down to 0 degrees I don't think it is necessary.
I agree. Our GWV's Espar is ducted under the fridge, which is similar. I was worried that this would not be effective back in the bed area, but in practice it works great. Really comfortable heat, and I'm sure yours is even better with the extreme insulation you have.

I did have GWV put ducted heat in our bathroom, though. It is awesome having that space nice and toasty for my morning shower. Our old Airstream Interstate was always frigid in the bathroom whenever it was cold outside.

Last edited by avanti; 02-08-2015 at 06:33 PM.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #174
mike33ny

hi i am buying a 2011 great west van like your old one just like to know if you like it over all?
mike33ny is offline   Reply With Quote