Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
cahaak

Default Viscous Fan Clutch Replacment

The viscous fan clutch that holds the engine fan was bad on my 2006 Passenger van so I needed to replace it. The lowest cost clutch that I found was via Amazon for $101. It is a Hayden 2598 clutch. You can also find ones made by Meyle and Borg-Warner that fit the van but those were more costly.

Replacement is very easy and no special tools are needed.

1) Lift up the radiator fan shroud and pull it toward you, the front of the van - you will now be able to look down and see the head of the allen bolt that holds the clutch on.
2) bolt head is 8mm which is the same as 5/16". Not enough room for my allen heads on the socket, so I just used a regular allen wrench.
3) allen wrench does not give much leverage so I slipped a 2' piece of pipe over the end of the wrench. It clears the fan shroud easily.
4) How to keep the fan drive shaft from turning? could use the special tool which I didn't have, but I found that you can get a large channel lock pliers on the housing easily (not the smooth shaft, but the larger portion farther back) I think I had a 14" channel lock pliers. The bolt threading is normal threading, turn it CC to remove it.
5) get the initial loosening done with the pipe on the wrench and holding the shaft - once initially loosened, no need to continue to hold the shaft.
6) removed the bolt and lifted the clutch out with the fan blades attached.
7) tranferred the fan blades to the new clutch. noticed that one of the mounting areas was actually broken off of the old clutch.

Reinstallation was in reverse of the above, except that I did not hold the shaft while tightening it back on. I got it plenty tight without that.

This took about 20 minutes total. Easy and simple to do if you should find that you need to replace either your fan clutch or the blades on the fan. You will have to look around online for the clutch for the lowest prices. They were actually much cheaper over in Europe, but I didn't want to deal with the foreign shipping and so on.

Chris
cahaak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cahaak For This Useful Post:
angolaron (01-24-2012), Aqua Puttana (01-23-2012), Dieseldoctor (07-25-2014), jousterde1 (01-31-2017), JSMI (06-06-2012), JSMITH0711 (03-08-2013), long1pham (12-21-2018), maxextz (08-16-2010), mendonsy (08-16-2010), MillionMileSprinter (01-05-2013), shaun (02-28-2019), sikwan (08-16-2010), sinster (09-09-2017)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
maxextz
Rollin Rollin Rollin.....

Thanked 1,105 Times in 605 Posts
Default Re: Viscous Fan Clutch Replacment

very nice chris thanks. maybe vic can add this to his thread where it can be found.

max........

Sioux-316CDI/T1N/158/2005. Light Prevails
maxextz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Johan Turbo

I am thinking about removing the visco and putting two electric fans activated by temperature contacts and an additional switch on the dash to activate them on the beginning of a long climb. Has anyone tried this already?
My visco begins to block. So it turns all the time making a huge noise when you rev it up eaven when the engine is still cold. As it is an expensive part the conversion might be cheaper using second hand parts from popular FWD cars.
Johan Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johan Turbo For This Useful Post:
skwoodwiva (02-09-2019)
Old 08-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,146 Times in 8,352 Posts

Johan,
That's an interesting idea, but it may not work as well as you hope. There have been some interesting discussions here about why the aux electric fans come on at highway speeds. The idea of a bubble of air in the front of the Sprinter has been suggested recently by 72chev.

Here:

Re: Hot seat - operator and navigator
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...04&postcount=9

Certainly something with air pressure may be going on because it would seem air should be ramming through the coolers just fine at highway speeds. I can't believe the aux electric fans have as much HP to drive them or are as efficient as the belt driven main fan. Just the blade pitch and size are indicative of that. When coupled with the possibility that the belt driven fan is helping enhance the negative pressure behind the coolers makes me wonder if even two electric fans will be enough given their installed position.

This is just observation and opinion, not based upon study or science. Have fun. vic
P.S. - Chris, How did you determine the clutch was bad? Leaking fluid, testing...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Turbo View Post
I am thinking about removing the visco and putting two electric fans activated by temperature contacts and an additional switch on the dash to activate them on the beginning of a long climb. Has anyone tried this already?
My visco begins to block. So it turns all the time making a huge noise when you rev it up eaven when the engine is still cold. As it is an expensive part the conversion might be cheaper using second hand parts from popular FWD cars.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 10-17-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #5
cahaak

There were two separate reasons that led me to the conclusion that the clutch was bad

1) the fan spun easily on the clutch when spun by hand. With the new one you can feel the resistance to spinning from the viscous fluid in the cluth.

2) there was something noticably wrong with the way the fan was mounted on the clutch. When it spun there was a wobble in it, not a smooth symmetic spinning the way it should be.

I'm pretty sure that the clutch was damaged in some way either during the accident that I had in the van, or during the repair process. It is nice to know that it is working correctly now.

Chris
cahaak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cahaak For This Useful Post:
angolaron (01-24-2012), Aqua Puttana (03-02-2012), Dieseldoctor (07-25-2014)
Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
mbwrench

a fan mounted on the engine side of the radiator will be much more efficient (suction fan) vs. a pusher on the front. MB cars now do not have the front aux fans anymore-just an electric suction fan that is engine temp and a/c pressure regulated. FYI.
mbwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Johan Turbo

I would lite to remove the original fan and visco and mount two electric fans behind the radiator. I have no AC. In the old 312D (OM602DELA engine) there is no space in front of the radiator. Models with airco didn't have an electric fan what caused trouble when AC was on standing still.
When I look at the two electric fans on my Opel Vectra I see some possibilities.
Johan Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Marceprinter

Hi all. I need to change the fan because he broke plastic one blade. I'll take pictures to share with you the experience. Thanks por any help ! Here in Buenos Aires the plastic fan in a Mercedes Benz dealership has a price of u$s 70. I am a technician in automotive ... but I received in 1991 and never devote myself to this but I did my brakes "Sprinter 313" and for now it works perfectly. Now I have to change the plastic fan, I hope everything comes out perfectly.
Marceprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,446 Times in 664 Posts

An old thread regarding a DIY tool for fan removal: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9583
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
jcolvin

Great write up! Shop quoted me 3 hrs (presumably taking off everything so they can move the radiator forward) and I did it in 25 mins with the quick and dirty method, no special tool required. Some notes: to lift up the fan housing, remove the front bolt on the turbo cover so you can move the cover out of the way, and then remove the 4 clips on the fan housing (not easy access to the driver side clips...use a small screwdriver to help). Pull the housing up as much as you can and then forward and you get access to the fan bolt. I also used a channel lock wrench on the pulley and an 8 mm allen key. Slipped the lever from my floor jack over the key for added leverage, and it didn't require too much forcing. I gave up on trying to get the clips back on the driver side (PITA to access), just used the 2 on passenger side. Still seems pretty secure, not really anywhere it can go. Now I am no longer over-heating on hills. I used a new mercedes fan/clutch assembly which was pretty cheap from the mercedes dealer and mean I didn't have to worry about damaging the old fan blades. If you have to change the fan you might as well put in a new clutch at the same time, they do seem to fail fairly often.

Last edited by jcolvin; 09-17-2016 at 08:46 PM.
jcolvin is offline   Reply With Quote