Airpro unit for rear cargo?

I'd like to get some information on this unit which cools and heats the rear cargo area. My van had previously been used as a transport van and this unit shows as being a factory installed unit. Unfortunately it is inoperable at the moment.

The unit has a sticker that says Airpro, but I can't find the website or any info on it.

:cheers:

Attachments

lindenengineering

The system is by an obscure sub installer for US production.
Consequently by virtue of its limited production run, its obsolete & out of production. Overall from my experience of working on both derivatives installed; its a bit of a hodge podge of standardized off the shelf parts commonly available at the time, all put together to make the system as seen in your van.

That doesn't mean of course to state that it cannot be resurrected or serviced by someone competently certified and trained to fix it, or make it function as it was designed (cobbled together) to do!

Ostensibly the two versions can be identified by observation & whether your van has one or two A/C compressors. For easy verification the latter version having two compressors has the rear A/C system driven by a separate Vee belt off the crank pulley having a double drive belt variant feature.

The operating relays & line fuse box (or inline pig tail fuses ) on this version can be seen just above the vehicle battery area or in front of it. (I suppose the system was eventually rationalized at sometime)

The older version had MOST of its relays mounted on the chassis cross member aft of the transmission or by the evap fan pack mounted on the body shell.. Similarly the evaporator & fan pack was under slung just in front of the driver's side rear wheel. Later versions the evap & fan pack were sited on the roof so are the charge points found inside the vehicle at rear. From this info you should be enough for you to identify the system installed, but I have never found a a standardized wiring schematic of it which is academic since there are so many variations of the same theme.
Charge amounts again vary .
On the early Siamese one compressor systems I have found charge capacities of 2,75 to 4,25 lbs on original stickers, and 6,5 lbs on the later twin systems.
A qualified A/C tech with the correct machinery should be able to determine what is the actual charge capacity by conducting full cool performance strategies on good functioning system.
Hope that is useful to you.
Dennis

Would my local Dodge service department be able to handle getting this up and running (@ $149/hr) or is that wishful thinking?

This may be a stupid question but would I otherwise look for a shop that specializes in automotive A/C? Are they out there? Or do I look for a general mechanic with the A/C credentials?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Top Bottom