New 2019 Sprinter

Widman

Just picked up our new 2019/19 Unity MB. After short overnighter, here are my impressions of the new 2019 Sprinter Chassis. Sold our 2015 Unity MB for the various updates on the coach and new chassis. For me, it is a game changer. The improvements are well worth the change,
and they are:

1. now 7 speed from 5 speed, allowing a greater power band and more seamless shifting
2. steering and suspension improved: updated Continental tires; not sure if any suspension upgrades are needed, other than to alleviate the rocking side to side when exiting driveways
3. shift lever is a stalk on the column, as on MB SUVs; paddle shifters included; leather steering wheel
4. top of dash has 3 closing compartments, the center having NFC phone charging (just lay on pad)
5. MBUX multi media 10” touch screen, Apply Car Play included, intelligent navigation, speed limit assist shown on screen; addtl. screen in center of dash with multi function indication
6. multi function steering wheel
7. adaptive cruise control
8. active lane keeping assist; steering wheel vibrates and assists return into lane if wandering out of lane
9. will brake to stop automatically if senses being too close to car ahead
10. power and heated seats, memory setting; very comfortable seating, seat front extends out
11. keyless start
12. LED headlights, big improvement in brightness over old style
13. rain sensing wipers
14. large high res. back up camera video

With MBUX, it has voice command like Siri or Alexa, but command is Hey Mercedes. I can virtually control all radio and navigation settings by voice command without taking my hands off the wheel. Very intuitive.

I’m sure I am still missing some changes, but these are the most evident and welcome.

Meeks

I appreciate your summary especially since you owned a previous generation MB. We had been waiting for this generation for almost two years before placing our order with LTV.

Funny to imagine this same type of post seven or so years from now with the next generation of vehicle!

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you find the seat comfort/adjustment in the new chassis? The one I drove had seemingly odd behavior programmed into the power seats. As you moved the seat bottom rearward, the seatback automatically became more upright. Only by moving the seat forward could the back be reclined. At a lanky 6’0” I am not sure I could achieve a driving position which would be comfortable for a long day. Sufficient legroom required a very upright seatback. My wife had the same concern at 5’6”. Both drivers and passengers seat exhibited this operation. This was in a Unity TB; there was no obvious reason to restrict seat recline - there was plenty of room behind the seat backs.

Mrsmechanical

Yes this is incredibly annoying - has same experience with seat recline.

This was probably set up for a box installation were there would be hard wall behind the seats.

I wonder if MB can reprogram a setting disable this mode/feature?

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I find the Lane Keeping Assist in my 2017 incredibly annoying. Sure wish I could disable it permanently. :censored:

It has to be one of the most-annoying safety features ever invented -- especially in a vehicle that is so easily affected by the wind. I pulled the control panel but there's no apparent way to bypass it because it's all on a circuit board. No wires to cut. No fuse to remove. I'd like to hit it with a ball-peen hammer! :yell:

Last edited:

stormpeakco

'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB
1. now 7 speed from 5 speed, allowing a greater power band and more seamless shifting
2. steering and suspension improved: updated Continental tires; not sure if any suspension upgrades are needed, other than to alleviate the rocking side to side when exiting driveways
3. shift lever is a stalk on the column, as on MB SUVs; paddle shifters included; leather steering wheel

Hey thanks.
Can you please expand your comment RE: "updated Cont'l tires"... & R the new OEM continental tires the same size?
Dave

Natuzzi

I find the Lane Keeping Assist in my 2017 incredibly annoying. Sure wish I could disable it permanently. :censored:

It has to be one of the most-annoying safety features ever invented -- especially in a vehicle that is so easily affected by the wind. I pulled the control panel but there's no apparent way to bypass it because it's all on a circuit board. No wires to cut. No fuse to remove. I'd like to hit it with a ball-peen hammer! :yell:
My 2018 has an off button on the dash.

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Now I see they've adding vibrating of the steering wheel to that feature.
Great. Just friggin' great! What's next, pinching me in the ass to remind me I'm using bio-diesel??

At some point, the manufacturers have to start trusting us, again.

Anybody who needs the steering wheel to vibrate and an alarm to sound because they are drifting out of the lane needs to pull over and take a nap. Jeeezzz!!

2yrs2go

2019 Unity MB
Now I see they've adding vibrating of the steering wheel to that feature.
Great. Just friggin' great! What's next, pinching me in the ass to remind me I'm using bio-diesel??

At some point, the manufacturers have to start trusting us, again.

Anybody who needs the steering wheel to vibrate and an alarm to sound because they are drifting out of the lane needs to pull over and take a nap. Jeeezzz!!
No what they need is an app that instantly blows up the phone of people who drive while texting and are drifting from lane to lane.

Widman

I have contacted Leisure about the passenger seat issue, and they are waiting for a reply from Mercedes if there is a way to reprogram. I also contacted my local MB Sprinter dealer, and they were not aware of this issue. They were going to look into it and see if anything can ber done. The Sprinter tech guy suggested trying to move the seat all the way forward, hold for 5 seconds, then move the seat back to see it will override the current setting. Have not tried it yet as my Unity is in storage.

UnityUser

I'm guessing this design is meant to force us (drivers) to remain within the envelope of the newly added air bags. But, I'd LOVE to be able to recline as I could do with older Sprinter chassis.

stormpeakco

'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB
Is it still recommended (necessary) to have the new (from Winkler) front end aligned?
(Plan to have Les Schwab install the Borg tire stems the day after rec'g ownership/orientation/nite over in the dealership) thanks.

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Is it still recommended (necessary) to have the new (from Winkler) front end aligned?
(Plan to have Les Schwab install the Borg tire stems the day after rec'g ownership/orientation/nite over in the dealership) thanks.
Yes, probably. Won't hurt and could save your tires. Still be nice if they did this for us...

Top Bottom