Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #21
hjumper33

Default Re: Moog Control Arms Vs. OEM

So finished this job yesterday and the van is currently at the alignment shop. Already looks like the wheels are placed farther back in the wheel well than they were, and possible not perfectly centered relative to one another.. Old arms are still in good shape, so I’m wondering if I’m going to wind up getting new bushings and just using the factory arms after all that work. Will have to see how it drives first. Oh well, easier the second time since the bolts are all new. Who would have thought that a van with 200k miles from the east coast would have rust?

I’d personally like to thank Mercedes for that rear control arm bolt with the almost inaccessible nut on the back that won’t come off unless you can get the bolt backed out, which you can’t, because it’s completely seized to the inside of the bushing. Thank god the drivers side somehow came out without cutting.

Also I agree the moog arms welds leave something to be desired.

Last edited by hjumper33; 05-01-2019 at 05:27 PM.
hjumper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hjumper33 For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (05-02-2019), Nautamaran (05-01-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 04:57 AM   #22
hjumper33

So just to update this quickly. Alignment went well, just got back from some windy bumpy roads on the lost coast, and new suspension setup performed admirably. If I had to do things all over again, I might just take out the original A arms and have a shop press in new ball joints and bushings, but if your A arm bolts aren’t as corroded as mine, it might be easier to get the moog full kit. For those considering a shock upgrade, the konis have made a world of difference in body roll and overall noise. This was replacing the original stock shocks after almost 240k. Tie rods weren’t very difficult at all with a tool borrowed from autozone. Thanks again to all those that post here to make like a little cheaper/easier for us DIY enthusiasts.
hjumper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hjumper33 For This Useful Post:
Patrick of M (05-08-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #23
Coast2Coast
2006 158 Cargo

Not sure if IDparts tested this MEVOTECH kit before marketing but they usually don't sell junk. Would have to contact them and see if they have any returns or issues. Looks like Rock Auto is selling Mevotech, AC Delco and Mopar.

https://www.idparts.com/steering-ref...n-p-11812.html

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...trol+arm,10401

Last edited by Coast2Coast; 05-25-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Coast2Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #24
Coast2Coast
2006 158 Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieAM View Post
can anyone provide any info if the moog control arms will fit the same as OEM? or are there known issues with the MOOG control arms? i need to replace the worn out ball joints on both sides and would rather replace the arms and all bushings to prevent any other issues. Am planning an entire front end rebuild on my 2005 118" with 260K miles and would like to use the MOOG front end kit as well as replace the struts and wheel bearings.
Give these a shot. I just spoke with IDparts today and they said that customers were happy with the Mevotech Brand. https://www.idparts.com/steering-ref...n-p-11812.html

Please remember to report back after installed with update of how everything turned out so we can get some feedback on different products.
Coast2Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #25
SprinterSnake316

Does anyone know the pet numbers for the right control arms ? Iím struggling with alignment and tire rub and think this is my problem . Also the spring rubber end bush has worn through (in a few weeks) since I replaced the front spring . Any advice welcome . Thanks

Jake the snake
SprinterSnake316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #26
Helmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Thanks.

They do appear to be different. For one thing the front spring pocket isn't in the same alignment. But is the "stock" A arm OEM? See post #15 below.

Pics loaded to Sprinter-source.

Attachment 108592

Attachment 108593

Attachment 108594

It appears that there is only one Moog part choice.

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...nter_2500_2004

The "RK" series part is "a more value driven part".

Part prefixes are described lower down here.
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-rk620752

Added:
The Dorman part appears similar to the Moog. Both are stamped steel.

Attachment 108599

vic

Remembering Maxextz's balljoint change thread I went searching.

It appears that his 2005 Euro model has an A arm that looks similar to the aftermarket.

Attachment 108612
I just installed the Dormans and can confirm they move the wheel about 1" back, causing tire clearance issues. Steer clear!
Helmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #27
Helmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinterSnake316 View Post
Does anyone know the pet numbers for the right control arms ? Iím struggling with alignment and tire rub and think this is my problem . Also the spring rubber end bush has worn through (in a few weeks) since I replaced the front spring . Any advice welcome . Thanks

Jake the snake
Based on my recent experience I would recommend rebuilding factory control arms. I believe many/all of the aftermarket ones come from the same supplier which has incorrect wheel geometry which shortens the wheelbase by 1"
Old 09-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #28
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,773 Times in 8,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmach View Post
Based on my recent experience I would recommend rebuilding factory control arms. I believe many/all of the aftermarket ones come from the same supplier which has incorrect wheel geometry which shortens the wheelbase by 1"
I wouldn't disagree.

It seems odd that a company like Moog could be that far off in the geometry. That said, Moog may just be buying another manufacturer design and sticking their name on it.

Is it possible that there are different dimension OEM control arms?

There appear to be differences between the Euro A arm shown in Max's Write-up and a NAFTA A arm pictured next to an aftermarket part.

001bAarmsMoog01wNotes.jpg
Same pic with notes added.
001bAarmsMoog01wNotes02.jpg

0001cAarmsMoog04.jpg

0001dAarmsMoog05 (1).jpg

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 09-13-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #29
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,169 Posts

If the wheel is further forwards with the original arm then was this a modification by MB to fit the 16" wheels?

To the best of my knowledge the USA was the only country to get 16" wheels hence aftermarket parts manufacturers may not be aware of the difference.

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyenne For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #30
Helmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Is it possible that there are different dimension OEM control arms?
This must be the case. I noticed the photo of the Euro A arm shown in Max's thread appears to be a sheetmetal arm of a similar design to the Moog/Doorman etc. I also noticed the "Genuine Mercedes" A-arm sold by EuropartsSD is the same sheetmetal design. I'm guessing its the OEM cast arms (which most of us have) that are different. I have a friend at Dorman that is supposed to be looking into this for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Helmach For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (09-12-2019)