Programable Special Module ( PSM )

sunview

I would like to install a PSM aftermarket, as I forgot to include it in the original order of the vehicle.
Has anyone had a unit installed? How did you get it programmed? Was it programmed by MB or a third party?

TTMartin

I would like to install a PSM aftermarket, as I forgot to include it in the original order of the vehicle.
Has anyone had a unit installed? How did you get it programmed? Was it programmed by MB or a third party?
I installed one in my 2017. It was programmed by a Sprinter Dealer activating the High Idle feature for under $150.

cacaw

With the ED5 Parametric Special Module, can the high-idle feature be set by the customer or only by the dealer?

Does the PSM offer any other features that would be of interest?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
My sold 08 was ordered with the PSM module. Built a full conversion and never used the PSM.

What functions of the module do you need?

My sold 08 was ordered with the PSM module. Built a full conversion and never used the PSM.

I'm curious about this as well. I'm building my van and trying to determine if this is something I might need. It seems to only be required for turning on circuits given certain actions (door opening, etc).

Notfamous

For the new ones, MB seems to want everything extra (buildouts, aftermarket, alarms) to be run through the psm. The keeps the OEM system intact and an easier way to triage issues later. High idle can also be enabled though the psm.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

HarryN

I would not buy a sprinter without the PSM. Far too handy for a build out.

MB usually touts that the PSM is too expensive to add - on. I am glad to see that some people have successfully done it.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I'm curious about this as well. I'm building my van and trying to determine if this is something I might need. It seems to only be required for turning on circuits given certain actions (door opening, etc).
I was afraid of the Sprinter electrical system so only had one connection to the vehicle. The only connection to the Sprinter electrical was the vehicle powered inverter. That was installed by copying the wiring that the Sprinter used to power the optional aux. battery. Instead of powering the aux. battery it powered the pure sine inverter.

Did not even ground the house battery to the chassis for the house electrical system. Since I was not charging the house battery by directly connecting it to the vehicle battery, the house system could be independent from the vehicle. System worked well for over 10 years without any issues. Transit conversion is 4 years old and also has the house system isolated from the vehicle system and have not had any issues with that design.

Maybe someone who is knowledgeable about the PSM module should explain how it can be used.

sunview

I was thinking of using it to control the step on the pedestrian door of a mobile home, flash turn indicators and side markers when reversing. I am going to try to convert the park brake to electric, maybe use it to control brake???(MB would not fit one to a 4.5 tonne cab chassis when purchased), my unit will weigh less than 3.5 tonne when completed. I could also use it to incorporate the central locking to control the pedestrian door lock.
These units also have logic functions that can be used in conjunction with any CAN BUS signal to perform almost any switching combination anyone can think of.

Notfamous

so just installed my psm. directions on the upfitter portal are spot on...one thing is the seat removal. I know there is an airbag connect and that you are not supposed to turn on the ignition. I took precautions and left my key in the garage while installing the psm in the driver's seat. I i opened the passenger side door to let a breeze come through. When I was near completion, I closed the passenger door and heard the dashboard chime. I remember it because I wondered if the dashboard chiming would trigger a system check on the airbags. Again, the key was 20ft away in the garage. Upon installing everything and starting up, I have a service airbag malfunction light. I guess I need to take a trip to the dealer or go ahead and order Xentry.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
so just installed my psm. directions on the upfitter portal are spot on...one thing is the seat removal. I know there is an airbag connect and that you are not supposed to turn on the ignition. I took precautions and left my key in the garage while installing the psm in the driver's seat. I i opened the passenger side door to let a breeze come through. When I was near completion, I closed the passenger door and heard the dashboard chime. I remember it because I wondered if the dashboard chiming would trigger a system check on the airbags. Again, the key was 20ft away in the garage. Upon installing everything and starting up, I have a service airbag malfunction light. I guess I need to take a trip to the dealer or go ahead and order Xentry.
Or the new Autel AP200 bluetooth dongle should be able to clear the SRS light at a fraction of the cost. Someone who has one already should be able to confirm.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AP200-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Simplified/dp/B07QD4GZW4

Keith.

dynaco1

DOG MY19 indicates ED8 PSM is standard equipment. However, it also indicates ED5 has replaced ED8. The cost for ED5 is $300.

I've never had a choice, when ordering a new van. It seemed the factory added PSM Prepration ED8, whether I wanted it, or not. Furthermore, there was no dollar amount associated with ED8 on my invoices or build sheets. Must have been buried in another option I ordered,

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
May i infer from the above that you didn't disconnect the driver's-footwell negative disconnect?

And were doing "major" work under the seat??

Ummm... "got what you deserved" does come to mind....

Whenever you're touching airbag wiring, it is really really really wise to kill all in-vheicle power.
Really.

--dick (and a disconnect on an NCV3 is sooooo much easier than the T1N's wrenching)

Notfamous

May i infer from the above that you didn't disconnect the driver's-footwell negative disconnect?

And were doing "major" work under the seat??

Ummm... "got what you deserved" does come to mind....

Whenever you're touching airbag wiring, it is really really really wise to kill all in-vheicle power.

Really.

--dick (and a disconnect on an NCV3 is sooooo much easier than the T1N's wrenching)
Infer what you like. I'm posting my experience as a coutionary tale. Also the dashboard is more than just proximity activated. Thanks for your help, dick.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom