Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
DRTDEVL

Default Re: 3" straight pipe exhaust - DRTDEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
First. Thanks for the feedback.

Remind me. Did you remove the OEM parts before the muffler too?
My 2004 with a rusted out nothin' of a muffler isn't loud, but the OEM parts before the muffler are still intact. The lack of a tailpipe might be a factor. A long(er) pipe out to the back may create a different situation for resonance.
Everything turbo-back s replaced. The original was a 3" bell to a 2.5" downpipe, to a 2.25" exhaust.

Quote:
How did you determine 36" long? Some calculation? Space available? Experience or recommendation of a muffler shop?

My plan was/is to go to a straight pipe, but I'd rather pay for a resonator up front if needed rather than adding one after the fact.

vic
The exhaust guy happened to have one laying around his storage room for a few years. It was available, and time to order things was not. It worked out great in the end.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
DRTDEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClyneSnowtail View Post
Those 'other' exhaust parts will indeed make a difference in the noise level. Taking them off will make it louder. If you leave them on you could probably get away without a muffler or resonator.
The "other" parts? TWO Cats. (I was just looking at the stock exhaust last week as I tied it down to the front of my car hauler for the move)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #13
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,162 Times in 8,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDEVL View Post
Everything turbo-back s replaced. The original was a 3" bell to a 2.5" downpipe, to a 2.25" exhaust.

The exhaust guy happened to have one laying around his storage room for a few years. It was available, and time to order things was not. It worked out great in the end.
Thanks for the feedback.

I think that the OEM system has one catalytic converter and a resonator right close to each other - when the parts were removed, my 2004 appeared to have 2 catalytic converters, but I'm not sure about that.

I'll leave my stock parts before the muffler intact. Based upon your experience, I'll likely look to source some sort of resonator rather than straight pipe. It will depend upon my mood and price of the part.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-05-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:

I'll leave my stock parts before the muffler intact. Based upon your experience, I'll likely look to source some sort of resonator rather than straight pipe. It will depend upon my mood and price of the part.

vic
Based mostly upon DRTDEVL's experience/comments, I decided to go for a glasspack vs straight through exhaust.

This is what I installed. The price I paid was lower than the Amazon listing.

Cherry Bomb 87516 Glasspack Muffler
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGL6C6
The end fittings are fairly heavy gauge that slip over a 2 1/2" pipe. They also fit over the catalytic converter perforated stub. Glasspack inlet/outlet = same size each end. Both were a bit loose fit on the pipes that I connected to.

The glasspack ends might even slip over a belled 2 1/2" pipe. I don't believe that a bell would slip over the glasspack end, but it might. I should have tested that.
I bought ss sleeve aka band clamp fittings for my installation. I found them superior for DIY to the traditional U bolt saddle clamps. They are easier for future disassembly too.

They come in various styles including reducing type.
https://www.amazon.com/Evilenergy-Jo.../dp/B076J5HSNJ

The 2 ea. cats assembled together with the glasspack made an approximately 48" L overall assembly. (Glasspack is listed as 29.5" overall.) The 2 cats + OEM muffler is slightly shorter overall if that info helps. The assembled glasspack + cats fit nicely into the 2004, but my exhaust system has been repaired many times and cobbled together so YMMV.

An aside.
I swear every time that I piece together repairs on an exhaust system that it will be my last, but my repairs are so inexpensive compared to system replacements that I just keep on doing it. Any pro shop would have $crapped out my 2004 catalytic converter$ and replaced with new cat$$$$.

I managed to get the cats loose from the muffler. It wasn't as easy as I hoped, but not too difficult.

The cats are solidly attached to the muffler with sheet metal brackets. The catalytic converter metal is stainless steel. The 2004 parts still appeared as new. The muffler is aluminized steel. That wasn't at all new looking. The underside was at least 1/2 rotted away literally. The top sheet metal and bracket end was intact.

I cut the brackets loose using a portable bandsaw. Once the bracket cat side was cut free, I used a hammer to bang them back against the muffler body to access the cat to muffler pipe connection. Fortunately when I knocked the brackets back the catalytic converter pipe backed out of the muffler slightly (reminder - muffler 1/2 rotted away so the muffler inlet was also weakened) . More banging while holding the cats revealed more pipe. Eventually I used a 2x4 and bar to lever the parts while hitting the muffler. A pipe stub turning into a perforated pipe was revealed. I exposed enough of that stub to allow cutting with the portable bandsaw. The glasspack slipped over that stub and wasn't a bad fit.

From there it was a matter of fitting the new glasspack, old cats and pipes into the old system.

I'm happy with the result. A freeway test drive was successful. The engine/exhaust noise seems no worse than the intact stock 2006 exhaust system.

vic
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-07-2019 at 01:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Oilburner (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #15
Perce

I too have fitted a 3 exhaust to my 2005 T1N 4x4 and have definitely notice an improvement in the low down torque and a smoother delivery of power. A worthwhile improvement for me👍🏼
Perce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Perce For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 AM   #16
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perce View Post
I too have fitted a 3” exhaust to my 2005 T1N 4x4 and have definitely notice an improvement in the low down torque and a smoother delivery of power. A worthwhile improvement for me����
Time will tell whether I notice a difference between my rusted out nothin' muffler and a complete 2 1/2" glasspack system with custom side exhaust outlet.

As to performance.
My premature expectation is that the 2 1/2" glasspack system will be no worse, maybe better than the perforated pipe stub out of the OEM catalytic converters. The holes in OEM muffler internal perforated pipe were fairly small. The cut off (for the glasspack) and now open ended perf pipe should have less restriction to flow. That was really the only restriction in the 2004 exhaust because the rest of the muffler was pretty much gone. Another flow restriction was/is the catalytic converters, but they are still intact with the new glasspack system.

With the pretty much gone muffler the 2004 did have better acceleration vs my 2006 with intact OEM exhaust system. I'll try to notice whether the 2004 lost its edge with the new glasspack revision.

vic

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-06-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Took a longer drive today. I'm very happy with the sound, or more accurately the lack of noise vs the blown out muffler.

Quote:

As to performance.
My premature expectation is that the 2 1/2" glasspack system will be no worse, maybe better than the perforated pipe stub out of the OEM catalytic converters.
vic
I would like to prove myself correct, but the performance is similar to what it was, not better though. If anything the turbo response may be a little bit less than it was with essentially no muffler. The performance is fine though. Initial acceleration is still a bit better than the 2006 with intact OEM exhaust system.

My guess is that if you are looking for a bit better performance the 3" system is worth considering. If you're just looking for a reasonably inexpensive aftermarket exhaust system, the 2 1/2" glasspack system as I installed will work just fine.

After inspecting the flex pipe I'm thinkin' my next repair may be replacing that part.

vic
Old 06-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #18
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

If anyone cares...

A recent freeway trip confirms that the 2004 with 2 1/2" glasspack still has an edge over the 2006 with intact OEM muffler system when it comes to initial acceleration. I still mostly drive the 2004 so this is the first drive with the 2006 since the 2004 glasspack install.

Noise level difference 2004 vs 2006 isn't noticeable to my old ears.

vic