Hot water

cliff1654

Hi all.

Im looking to install heating and hot water into my van (for shower and sink). I will probably go with a diesel air heater but im not sure what to do with the water so looking for ideas about what others have done. It needs to be able to run without a 240v hook up where possible. I like the idea of the Webasto diesel water/air heater, buts its super expensive. I wanted to avoid the whole gas thing if possible as it takes up a lot of room. I have a solar system (380w of panels and 240ah of batteries. Is there a 12v electrical water heater that i could use with my current set up?

Cheers

Aussie 2002 4x4

look into the Duoetto Mk2 Gen 3 (the latest model has an adjustable thermostat on both 240v and 12v). It's only 10 litres but you can heat up to about 70 degrees (so when you mix with your cold you end up with a fair amount) ... or only heat up to the temp you'll use

It's 25 amps on 12v so it drains a bit...but it retains heat well

PeterInSa

We have a Suburban Hot Water unit (14L and $800+) in both our Caravan and Sprinter Campervan to me they are the best of the RV units.

A mate just purchased one of the items below ($132) or similar to wash down his Bar b Q in the yard or when in the bush, being stand along ie not installed in the RV gets rid of the heat easily otherwise you need to have air access to the heater via a hole in the side wall of your sprinter, to me ditto for the Duoetto MK2 above.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAXKON-...m=391882015349&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I have the mk1 duoetto and its been great for the past few years. I don't use the 12V though. I use 240V or an engine heat exchanger to fill it.

Skippy and Emu

Graphite, love your setup. Probably would do that myself, but went down another path, several months ago.

http://copperheadwater.com.au

I like the Copperhead 'cos it's Australian, works on 24v ( solar ) so, no inverter required, and is digital, and portable etc. Similar benefits to yours.
Pictures are from last winter, when I was testing and setting it up. It's heatwave temperatures where I am now.
So, have removed it from the Sprinter.
When reinstalled, and using again, I need to get a new esky ( cooler ) as the current one has metal fittings, and the steam condenses on them, and drips water.

Attachments

bobmac

Hi all.

I'm looking to install heating and hot water into my van (for shower and sink). I will probably go with a diesel air heater but i'm not sure what to do with the water so looking for ideas about what others have done. It needs to be able to run without a 240v hook up where possible. I like the idea of the Webasto diesel water/air heater, buts its super expensive. I wanted to avoid the whole gas thing if possible as it takes up a lot of room. I have a solar system (380w of panels and 240ah of batteries. Is there a 12v electrical water heater that i could use with my current set up?

Cheers
I used a marine hot water heater in my long and tall Sprinters in New England and Queensland. They were not suitable for the MWB 4x4 because of their large size.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Attwood-M...l-W-rear-Exchanger/805610356?iid=323379949723

For the smaller Sprinter I've used a 4-1/2 kg propane bottle with a loop of 16 mm aluminum ex-air con tubing for the heat exchanger and use the existing ambo rear air con heater lines for heating water while I drive. A temperature regulating valve is necessary for shower water as the engine water temp is too high. I supply the tank from a 20 litre Jerry can which is easy to remove for filling and pump into the propane tank. An air cushion in the tank allows for expansion and stored water pressure. The regulator feeds a wand type sprayer with integral shut off valve. It is mounted at the end of the galley by the sink and next to the side door so it can be used to supply water to the sink or to an outside shower. The pump does have to be run to supply cold water for temp regulation when the water is hot. The tank is insulated so water is still warm in the morning after cooling over night.

I purchased a 12V 200W element to experiment with, but even with my 160 Ahr Lithium battery it is a bit too power hungry for comfort. With your larger battery you may find it works well:

https://www.banggood.com/12V-200W-1...N50-p-1391042.html?rmmds=buy&cur_warehouse=C\

I installed a Chinese 240V 1000W or so element for heating the water when I'm parked for prolonged periods. Strictly a manual operation to heat via a genset for 10 to 20 minutes once/day. After two years I'm still pleased with it.

Bob M - 2002 and 2003 T1N ex-ambos in Qld. 2003 Freightliner/MB Cruiser in New England

Top Bottom