Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 07-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
jdpartin

Default Speaker Wiring

I have a 2013 RS with a Sony DAV-TZ140 DVD Player/sound system and noticed several of the speakers are not working or merely play static. I pulled the unit out of its cabinet and found about 5 speaker wires out of 12 had disconnected, or never been connected by RT. RT support was no help at all and only sent me the Sony manual (which I already had read) but that only showed a standard home installation. If anyone has this same system I will give you 10 stars for a picture of your existing Sony unit back speaker panel wire connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0152.JPG (83.1 KB, 76 views)
jdpartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
zzfranczz

Default Re: Speaker Wiring

I have the same or similar issue.
zzfranczz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
RT.SS

The speaker wires should be color coded too, if not, you can trace the individual wires to which speakers they are connected using a small 1.5 volt battery like AA. Connect the negative wire to negative side of battery then brush the positive wire to + post of battery, the target speaker should emit sound, do this to all the wires untill you figure out which wires go a specific speaker then label it.

My Agile has 7 factory speakers installed (2 center, 2 front channels, 2 rear channels, and a Sub). Hope that helps.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
jdpartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT.SS View Post
The speaker wires should be color coded too, if not, you can trace the individual wires to which speakers they are connected using a small 1.5 volt battery like AA. Connect the negative wire to negative side of battery then brush the positive wire to + post of battery, the target speaker should emit sound, do this to all the wires untill you figure out which wires go a specific speaker then label it.

My Agile has 7 factory speakers installed (2 center, 2 front channels, 2 rear channels, and a Sub). Hope that helps.
I have identified the wires to each speaker and still no sound from the rear two. I have the same speaker setup you mentioned. I am thinking the problem is the rear speaker switch in the cabinet above the DVD player is not wired correctly. I think your battery test will confirm that then I will have to unplug that connection and test those. I have heard that at the time my RT was built the RT factory in Canada was in financial difficulty and was laying off the people who knew what they were doing so a new hire punching the wrong wires in to the connector is my guess.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:20 AM   #5
RT.SS

On mine, the 2 rear speakers are connected to a rotary selector switch located inside the AV cabinet and it is used to switch the rears speakers to either connect to the DVD or the dash radio. Maybe that is the case on yours, check it out.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
jdpartin

RT.SS, yes I have the rotary switch in the cabinet above the DVD player. The wire colors going in and out of that change so it is difficult to trace in and out to the speakers. You folks have been great with help and as soon as I figure it out I will post it. RT.SS, what year is yours?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
eslmooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpartin View Post
I have a 2013 RS with a Sony DAV-TZ140 DVD Player/sound system and noticed several of the speakers are not working or merely play static. I pulled the unit out of its cabinet and found about 5 speaker wires out of 12 had disconnected, or never been connected by RT. RT support was no help at all and only sent me the Sony manual (which I already had read) but that only showed a standard home installation. If anyone has this same system I will give you 10 stars for a picture of your existing Sony unit back speaker panel wire connections.
I Have all 12 in my 2006 roadtrek that are not hook up.
eslmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
jdpartin

Do you need a picture showing the wire colors as they should be hooked to the back of the Sony unit.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:07 AM   #9
casdclassb144

Might help 2014 RT Agile

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ara2JNm6cwkfiY9XPMa7B0w8DC_QYA

You might have to download to view

Last edited by casdclassb144; 03-19-2019 at 04:11 AM.
casdclassb144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #10
Trekker
Trekker

That rotary switch in the cabinet is a mystery to me. In my previous 2008 RT Adventurous any now my new 2018 RT Agile SS, the switch does not seem to do anything. A needless complication in the system. I've asked dealers several times over the years, and never gotten a useful, consistent answer. If someone could clearly explain what the purpose of the switch is and how it is supposed to work, I would be thankful.