Maybe new Isuzu diesel van will light a fire under Mercedes?

nightprowler

Diesel emissions equipment on new diesels has almost eliminated their MPG advantage, and add in the extra cost of maintenance (more oil per change, DEF, etc) AND the higher initial price and the gas engine all of a sudden makes more economic sense.
I do mostly around town route type work.
I get 14mpg at 11,300lbs.

You are correct, more initial cost, DEF is around $10 per month,
oil change, etc.
Also, the diesel particulate filter needs to be taken out and
baked every 3000 hours as I found out at a total cost (remove, bake, replace)
of $900.00 (dealer). Next time I'll know better.

nightprowler

I wonder how comfortable the Reach is for long drives? The cab looks pretty spartan.
It's not.....leaf springs all around. I will eventually look into
a suspension seat. That will help. I owned a Sprinter for 6 yrs. and had
nothing but problems with it.

I paid $400 to extend my warranty from 3 yr unlimited to 5 yr. 150k.
Isuzu stands behind their products and takes pride in them.

I will take the bumpy ride, this truck is a dream!

surlyoldbill

I've been thinking about a stepvan as an alternative, but I still need to chauffeur kids around for a while. The NCV3 Sprinters were a big let-down after the T1N; I'd never buy one after reading all the stories. So far the Transit T250 has been OK, but at 15-16mpg average it is depressing after the T1N. Hard to look at the cost of ownership over time when you're filling up every 350-400 miles with 25 gallons. And with the inevitable increase is fuel prices coming in the next year or two (cyclic), it's going to be even worse!

At least there will be good deals on used full size SUVs, Pickups and Vans when the fuel prices go up to $5!

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
It's not.....leaf springs all around. I will eventually look into
a suspension seat. That will help. I owned a Sprinter for 6 yrs. and had
nothing but problems with it.

I paid $400 to extend my warranty from 3 yr unlimited to 5 yr. 150k.
Isuzu stands behind their products and takes pride in them.

I will take the bumpy ride, this truck is a dream!
Reminds me of my old Freightliner FL50, leaf springs all around, (I should have got air ride) but it did have a suspension seat, the only weakness was the Carter lift pump that sucked and killed the Cummins ISB VP injection pumps 2X, at least the 2nd was under warranty, I put in a fass lift pump with 1/2" hoses supply and return, and never had another problem. I miss that old truck, but not the rough ride, the 6 speed and the heavy clutch. (should have also got an automatic, and I would be still driving it today.)

nightprowler

This is a derivation of the vans currently used by Fed Ex et al.
I don't think it has the appeal to Sprinter style van users wanting something for business and pleasure let alone swanky operation! Rather its a pure work truck and once it has a bit of service will become a roach coach like most of its predecessors in the Spartan line up!
Burritos, tamales, hamburgesas, a sus ordenes Senor!:laughing:
Dennis
This is a Fed-Ex truck, if fact you can order one with a Fed-Ex package.
The ones around my area are all white with roll up doors.
Mine has swinging doors.
It's my understanding that Fed-Ex bought all the 2016's produced by Utilimaster.

It says a lot if a work truck can go through a rough work environment and then go on to be a food truck. These things are indestructible.

HarryN

Some random disconnected thoughts on this Isuzu:

- These utilmaster / Isuzu reach vans do look interesting for a conversion.

- I do need to dig in a bit more though on the legal requirements that saliquick is listing.

- If I can't bring home a bottle of wine in it, that sort of kills the mood.

- It seems like there is a market for more class 4 vehicles like this in RVs, especially if they invest some more into the suspensions.

- Will that little engine really be peppy loaded up with it's rated GVW?

Last edited:

nightprowler

Harry,
My last post was 2 years ago.
The weak link on this truck as with most diesels these days is the DFP/DEF system. My truck was problematic throughout the 4.5 years I owned it. Once it hit 100k miles, things started really going south. Constant DPF breakdowns and the dealer just could not get it right. I finally traded it in for a Ford Transit 350HD with the Ecco-Boost motor.
Much happier!!

20190207_162518.jpg

Top Bottom