D2 blowing cold air then Err appears, any ideas?

jds2785

I installed my D2 this weekend and everything seemed to be working except there is no hot air coming out, it’s only circulating ambient temp air.

The fuel pump is working, multimeter reads 13.4V at the heater, and it will run for about 5 minutes then Err will appear on my Easy Start Select control module.

Any other ideas to try and pinpoint the problem? My initial thought would be voltage drop but its 13.4V so I’m stumped.

Anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Takes a while to prime the fuel line. Many users cycle the unit 2-4 times before it will operate successfully. I reset the power breaker each time to clear the error and start again. Check your plastic fuel line if it is accessible to see if the air/ bubbles are being purged from the line as it tries to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JFloFoto

I have a flexible hot air hose on mine to direct the air around the cabin as needed. When it first starts up and is at max output, I find that if the air flow is restricted at all the unit gets hot and throws an error code. I have to make sure the hose is straight until it gets up to speed. Then I can flex the house and redirect the air without an error.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jds2785

Read the error codes in the workshop menu.
Thanks, Midwestdrifter, I have the Easy Start Select and after playing around and checking out the manuals it looks like the Err is as detailed a code as I am going to get. The manual says that error is "heater fault" or "easy start select fault", not too helpful. Both are brand new and reading around it sounds like a heater fault is unlikely but i suppose its possible.

Last edited:

jds2785

Takes a while to prime the fuel line. Many users cycle the unit 2-4 times before it will operate successfully. I reset the power breaker each time to clear the error and start again. Check your plastic fuel line if it is accessible to see if the air/ bubbles are being purged from the line as it tries to start.

Thanks, gltrimble, I've run it through several times now and I do see air moving through the fuel line while it is priming, maybe I need to butt up against the fuel lines better with the pump and tank tap? Maybe there is too much air in the line, would that prevent it from heating?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I am certain there is an error. Press the left and right buttons together for at least 5 seconds. item 1.1 is the current fault. item 1.2 is the previous 5 faults. Codes can be looked up in the D2 repair/workshop manual.

If its not getting fuel, then you will have a flame out, or start failure code.

jds2785

I am certain there is an error. Press the left and right buttons together for at least 5 seconds. item 1.1 is the current fault. item 1.2 is the previous 5 faults. Codes can be looked up in the D2 repair/workshop manual.

If its not getting fuel, then you will have a flame out, or start failure code.

You are right, error code 52, safety time exceeded. Says could be the exhaust, fuel supply, spark plug, or flame sensor.

I’m going to check all connections and see if that helps.

Thanks

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Is the unit blowing white smoke during startup? If not, its probably not getting fuel. Do you see fuel moving through the line? If not check to see if you need to assist the pump in priming, or if your lines are messed up somehow.

jds2785

There is no smoke coming out. The pump is moving fuel because I see the air bubbles moving. Not sure where they are coming from, I reinstalled the lines to ensure all the connections are tight but they persist. I may do a total removal and check all the line and replace if needed.

outbound

06/2500/140
pull the fuel line off at the D2 while the pump is running, make certain there's fuel there and then try start it again (pull fuse/reset if nec)
mightn'tve pushed all the air out of the line yet?

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Assuming you have more than a 1/4 tank of fuel and are not parked on a slope, nose up?

jds2785

Thanks for the pointers everyone, plenty of fuel in the tank and parked level.

Outbound, I’ll try that this evening.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I have found that a slightly bad fit on the suction side of the pump can make it pull lots of air, or loose prime. Also suction line length matters. If its more than 2 ft it can take a while to prime. Or if the lift height is more than 2ft it may not prime on its own. I have a set of hose pinch pliers. I use a mitivac (or a clear tube and your mouth) to pull fuel up to the end of the fuel feed line, then clamp/pinch it, and install on the pump.

jds2785

It’s working!

I picked up a brass splicer to connect the line that attaches to the tank six plug and the smaller line that attaches to the black fuel line on the suction side of the pump to eliminate that as a possible air source. I then disconnected the D2 side of the fuel and let it prime all the air out, about 2 cycles, connected and it was working.

Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom