'02-'03 Active Recall

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
What is/was the purpose of the plug? Or was it a manifold that is shared amongst other OM612 engines, but whatever attachment (on some non-Sprinter vehicle) wasn't part of a Sprinter build?

-Jon
The plug closes an opening which is a design component of the casting process. Doktor A

Dick,
An air gap would give more insulating property, but I don't think it is necessary. The insulation already holds up for a time to the heat from the leakage. A good sized square (or section) of aluminum will dissipate a bunch of heat. It will make the shield harder to install to try and create an air gap.

I guess the heat shield could just be installed with sheet metal screws instead of glue? Then an air gap may be easier to accomplish. My opinion and worth everything you'll pay for it. vic

Edit:
On second thought I guess there's plenty of ways to accomplish an air gap so it's probably worth doing. Perhaps put a small peak in the center of the aluminum and just glue/fasten the ends?
Good idea. There's enough accessibility to do it. Probably not a good idea though to put it in contact with the insulation, an air gap there would be better.

Last edited:

2002sprinterman

Minnesota
Re: Pending RECALL '02-'03

I just got off the phone with the nearest Freightliner Dealer to me, Agar Truck in Yonkers, NY, the service manager said that he would need the vehicle for 2 days, that they only get 5hrs to do the job from MB and it can take up to 8hrs, and that removing the wiring sometimes runs into problems.
While I had him on the phone he also quoted me approx $500 for a transmission oil change/service... Which gives me some idea of what any additional repairs there can/will cost.
I have good experience with them, many moons ago, when I they were a client of ours using an ancient IBM Series I computer, but I have no experience with them regarding vehicle service.

I'm inclined to wait and see with this recall, as I also don't want to open a can of worms with repairs necessitated by this recall work, but will be checking another authorzed dealer North Jersey Truck Center, Inc. in Saddle Brook, NJ 07663
Not knowing if you followed up on this or not I thought I would offer my :2cents: . I just had the recall done on my 2002 and the Freightliner dealer only had it one day and installed my shocks for me while it was there but did not try and build up the invoice with imagined problems!

The $500 quote to change trans fluid alone is pretty high but if it was for trans fluid and an oil change....they were not too high. Still you can do yourself for a lot cheaper!

On edit: does anybody know if the dealership changes the EGR out with the manifold? It looks like I may have a new one(egr) and I didn't see that while I was at the dealer so I did not ask them. I needed a new hood latch cable and while I was installing that this weekend and noticed that my EGR looks new and clean! That would be a nice bonus to the new intake manifold!

Last edited:

Sean Sheedy has some ideas about when to get the manifold recall done. There may be a window of opportunity which will close. Thanks goes to Sean for what I think is a good observation on his part. vic

I suspect this is the intake manifold recall that sprung up last year. I'm not affected, but there was a bit of discussion of how extensive the work was. The good news is that by now there have been a number of people in front of you, so the techs have had their training on other peoples' vans :-(.

There is probably a window of time while that knowledge is fresh. It might be better to do it sooner than later as the number of vehicles needing recall work decreases and techs change jobs.

There is a "risk" that the tech would find more work to do, but if this is a reputable place, then it sounds like it would make sense to have the recall work done at the same time that you are having other work done.

I doubt anyone will drag you off to jail simply for not performing the recall and a lawyer would have to tell you if your own liability would increase if someone was injured as a result of the defect manifesting itself and you were told of the problem (for example, if you sold the van and it happened to the new owner.) More likely though is that if someone was injured by the problem, Mercedes' liability would be not be as great because they can demonstrate that they have made an effort to correct the problem.

Sean
The original Yahoo Sprintervan thread is here:

Re: [sprintervan] Must fix Recall or go to Jail ????
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/58609

P.S. - Kevin, I have read where dealerships have cleaned the EGR as a courtesy for customers at the time of the recall work. Nobody has indicated that any EGR work or replacement is included in the scope of the manifold recall.

I bought my van in Sept 2010 and knew of the recall, but have not been contacted by MB. You would think with the change in ownership/title/registration they would have contacted me by now... yeah right! :rolleyes:

2002sprinterman

Minnesota

I bought my van in Sept 2010 and knew of the recall, but have not been contacted by MB. You would think with the change in ownership/title/registration they would have contacted me by now... yeah right! :rolleyes:
Call your freightliner dealer and ask them to run your vin for the recall if you have not done so already. That was what I did after the Dodge dealer told me that I was not on the recall list. Seems you have to go to the dealer that carries the same name as your badging even though the parts are all the same!

Motomofo1

I have a 2003 Freightliner 3500 and still need to get this recall taken care of. The closest dealer (about an 1.5 hours away) says I must drop the van off before the parts can be ordered, which will be coming from Germany. Has anyone else gone through this, and if so did the parts arrive in a timely manner if ordered from Germany? I can't be without the van for an extended period of time, and have only received vague responses when I ask how long the process should take.

Sorry if this subject has been handled elsewhere... I searched, but couldn't seem to find anything other than Freighliner owners saying it took just a couple days or so.

Thanks!

I have a 2003 Freightliner 3500 and still need to get this recall taken care of. The closest dealer (about an 1.5 hours away) says I must drop the van off before the parts can be ordered, which will be coming from Germany. Has anyone else gone through this, and if so did the parts arrive in a timely manner if ordered from Germany? I can't be without the van for an extended period of time, and have only received vague responses when I ask how long the process should take.

Sorry if this subject has been handled elsewhere... I searched, but couldn't seem to find anything other than Freighliner owners saying it took just a couple days or so.

Thanks!
My local Dodge dealer did the recall on my SHC Dodge Sprinter. They ordered the parts first. I think it was less then a week for the parts to come in. It took them a day and a half to get it done. My HC Freightliner still needs to be done. I am hopeing to hear about someone that has a good experance with a Freightliner dealer in NY.

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03

For some reason I received another recall letter for mine. I guess if you wait to have it done they are reissuing the letter thinking you didn't get one. :hmmm:

Dan

GREYGHOST

03 dodge 2500 om612

My experience is that mine was purchased in nov 2010 in north Dakota and then registered in California a month later,officially, have purchased a few items at the local dodge dealer, and received my recall notice Jan 29, 2011. Check/check in with a Dodge dealer or buy a oil filter there to make sure you are in the system. Good luck, John.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Re: Lynnwood, Lynnwood, WA (Dealership)

Because it's a Dodge they don't want to do the recall work.
Because it's a Sprinter they must do the recall work I think Daimler says, but don't expect great service if they don't want to do it.
Town & Country Dodge isn't an authorized Sprinter dealer so cannot do the recall.
email MBLynnwood service at the email at the top page, and see if Lynnwood'll reject you in writing, if so, forward it to Daimler's Sprinter headquarters for complaint.
MBUSA, LLC informed all MB Sprinter dealerships to refer recall work to Dodge.

All the recall instructions for Dodge-year Sprinters (2003-2009) have a highlighted directive for MB dealerships on their service computer. Here is a sample. There are dozens just like it.

View attachment 41392

The MB or Freightliner dealership can't get re-imbursed for labor or parts from MB or Chrylser.

It's unfortunate, but that is the policy.

No MB dealership can do anything but charge the owner or lose money on the deal.

-Jon

ps: All the recalls for Dodge years, found on the MB dealership system are here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/sho...90&postcount=7

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
At Dr. A's suggestion regarding glow plug replacement on my OM612, he suggested that I have the intake manifold recall service performed as a means of gaining more access to the glow plugs. I am a recipient of a recall notice letter - thus I know my van was qualified for the program.

I called my local Annapolis Frieghtliner dealer. They told me that the intake recall was no longer active.

Dr. A said that he would check the veracity of Annapolis Freightliner's claim, as he was under the impression that there was no timeline on the recall.

rjz5400

I called all the "local" places and even called MBUSA who either "don't work on the older ones" or said it didn't have any recalls active. I gave up on it, as I don't need any other work ATM and my egr is still active anyway (I had wanted a new intake to avoid cleaning out the old one of goo)

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I called all the "local" places and even called MBUSA who either "don't work on the older ones" or said it didn't have any recalls active. I gave up on it, as I don't need any other work ATM and my egr is still active anyway (I had wanted a new intake to avoid cleaning out the old one of goo)
For the (broken) record: if you have a Dodge, you call Dodge (for recalls)
If you have a Freightliner, you call Freightliner or MB, since Freightliner is still owned by Daimler.

--dick

I just had a New York State inspection done today and the printout at the end showed 3 active recalls, but did not identify them.

From past experience I know that is the faulty metal tire valves, which have all been replaced for years, and the manifold recall, which I never had done.
No idea what the 3rd could be.

NHTSA.gov website only lists the tire valve recall for my VIN #but does list the following for 2002 Freightliner 2500s

4 Recalls
for 2002 FREIGHTLINER SPRINTER 2500
FILTER RECALLS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS

All (4)ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING (2)INTERIOR LIGHTING (1)STEERING (1)
August 9, 2011 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 11V410000
INTAKE MANIFOLD
INTAKE MANIFOLD CORROSION MAY LEAD TO AN EXHAUST GAS LEAK, DAMAGE TO THE FUEL RETURN LINE WHICH COULD CAUSE A FUEL LEAK, AND HEAT DAMAGE TO THE INSULATION AT THE FIRE WALL. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V410000

Manufacturer SPRINTER ENGINEERING & COMPLIANCE SUPPOR

Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected 665

Summary

MERCEDES-BENZ USA (MBUSA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2002- 2003 SPRINTER 2500 AND 3500 VANS SOLD AS DODGE AND FREIGHTLINER VEHICLES. THE INTAKE MANIFOLDS MAY HAVE CORRODED. A CHEMICAL REACTION INVOLVING SULFUR IN THE DIESEL FUEL THAT TAKES PLACE UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS CAN LEAD TO THE FORMATION OF SULFURIC ACID IN THE EXHAUST CHANNEL OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD.

Remedy

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD FREE OF CHARGE. CHRYSLER, LLC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF DODGE SPRINTERS AND MBUSA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS FREIGHTLINER SPRINTERS. THIS RECALL IS AN EXPANSION OF A PREVIOUS RECALL (PLEASE SEE RECALL CAMPAIGN 09V-418). THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 11, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403 OR SPRINTER AT 1-843-695-5031.

Notes

MBUSA'S SAFETY RECALL NUMBER IS 2010040002. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

8 Affected Products
9 Associated Documents
Request Research (Services fees apply)
October 29, 2009 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 09V418000
EXHAUST CHANNEL
INTAKE MANIFOLD CORROSION MAY LEAD TO AN EXHAUST GAS LEAK, DAMAGE TO THE FUEL RETURN LINE WHICH COULD CAUSE A FUEL LEAK, AND HEAT DAMAGE TO THE INSULATION AT THE FRONT WALL.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 09V418000

Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected 14,423

Summary

SPRINTER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2002 THROUGH 2003 VANS SOLD AS DODGE AND FREIGHTLINER VEHICLES. THE INTAKE MANIFOLDS MAY HAVE CORRODED. A CHEMICAL REACTION INVOLVING SULFUR IN THE DIESEL FUEL THAT TAKES PLACE UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS CAN LEAD TO THE FORMATION OF SULFURIC ACID IN THE EXHAUST CHANNEL OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD.

Remedy

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD FREE OF CHARGE. CHRYSLER, LLC IS HANDLING THE OWNER NOTIFICATION AND REMEDY FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JUNE 4, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403 OR SPRINTER AT 843-695-5031.

Notes

SPRINTER SAFETY RECALL NO. 2010040002. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

8 Affected Products
18 Associated Documents
July 24, 2008 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 08V339000
STEERING COLUMNS
THE OPERATOR MAY LOSE STEERING ABILITY OF THE VEHICLE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 08V339000

Components STEERING

Potential Number of Units Affected 10

Summary

SPRINTER IS RECALLING 10 MY 2001-2006 DODGE AND FREIGHTLINER 2500 AND 3500 VEHICLES. THE WELDING SEAM BETWEEN THE BRACKET AND STEERING COLUMN OF AFFECTED SPARE PARTS DOES NOT MEET DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS. THE RESULT OF AN OUT OF SPECIFICATION WELDING SEAM IS THAT THE STEERING COLUMN MAY DETACH FROM ITS INTERIOR VEHICLE MOUNTING BRACKET.

Remedy

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE STEERING COLUMNS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 16, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SPRINTER AT 843-695-5057.

Notes

CHRYSLER'S RECALL NO. H25. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

24 Affected Products
11 Associated Documents
July 13, 2007 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 07V299000
REAR AIRCONDITIONING/INTERIOR LAMPS
THE SWITCHING CONTACTS OF THE LAMP MAY CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT OF THE REAR LAMP INCREASING THE RISK OF A FIRE.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 07V299000

Manufacturer DAIMLERCHRYSLER MANUFACTURING INTL

Components INTERIOR LIGHTING

Potential Number of Units Affected 4,433

Summary

ON CERTAIN TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH REAR AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM, THE INTERIOR LAMP IS EQUIPPED WITH AN 18W LAMP AND A SCATTERING LENS. IN EXTREMELY HOT AND HUMID CONDITIONS, THE COMBINATION OF HEAT AND HUMIDITY, AND THE HEAT FROM THE LAMP DUE TO EXTREME LONG TERM OPERATION, CAN DISTORT THE SCATTERING LENS.

Remedy

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE REAR INTERIOR LAMPS FREE OF CHARGE WITH A MODIFIED VERSION WHICH IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE IMPACTS OF HEAT AND HUMIDITY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 17, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER MANUFACTURING INTERNATIONAL AT 1-843-695-5041.

Notes

CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

12 Affected Products
15 Associated Documents

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
When I check the NHTSA site, this is what comes up - no recognition of my VIN and a notation that implies recall coverage may lapse after 15 years.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
When I check the NHTSA site, this is what comes up - no recognition of my VIN and a notation that implies recall coverage may lapse after 15 years.

View attachment 101418

If I am correct the T1N 2002-2003 intake manifold recall was around 2010-11... so that would make the recall 7 or 8 years old, despite the vehicles being older.

My tire valve recall is definitely older, than the manifold recall and it still comes up.
Did MB somehow find a way out of manifold recall? :thinking:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
here is actually a recall on those that a lot of vans have not had done where you replace the intake manifold due to a freeze plug blowing out.
Note the above posts with regard to my interactions with both Freightliner and finding that the recall was no longer posted on the NHTSA site.

That recall is long over. Further, I do not recall a single incident reported on either this forum or the underlying forum YahooSprinterVan of this problem ever occurring to a member.

Last edited:

KingSprinter

That recall is long over. Further, I do not recall a single incident reported on either this forum or the underlying forum YahooSprinterVan of this problem ever occurring to a member.

Priming of the OM612 is discussed in the Common Maintenance thread.
I have done three this year alone! hahah, there still out there!
In addition to that, I've had two that I can clearly recall with this same issue, came to us on a hook with a no start concern. Vans started right up first try, one needed the plastic lines around the engine, the other had a failed return valve and wouldn't open up all the way, but we also replaced all the plastic lines. I cant tell you how many of those lines I've replaced because I broke them! haha
Just trying to give some insight to what I've seen that has fixed it.

Top Bottom