Using the MB Star Xentry/DAS

Lotus54

I still cannot add any 'attachments'. Perhaps I ran out of space or something?

sorry for the delay

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Interesting that some get an Air Mass reading while others don't. I get zero reading on my 06 T1N.
Maybe the value is reported in a different unit than the DAS expects? My 2004 reported correctly in mg/hub. It would be interesting to see the ECU software version numbers.

As suggested, it may also be related to the knowing MAF programming weirdness that the recall was released for?

calbiker

My ECU data is:
MB #: 647 153 28 79
Hardware status: 43/02
Software status: 28/04
Diagnostic identifier: 69/146
Date of manufacture: 24.07.06

I'll be going in for the MAF recall soon. We'll see if that fixes this issue.

Why is the specified value zero?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I would assume the egr is closed, so the ecu is not actively managing the maf. With egr active, there may be a value there?

Lotus54

The EGR on mine is closed- but showed a value...

I have no idea why I get a reading and his does not (assuming his van also runs fine anyway)

Mark

On the Xentry setup I've seen software being sold installed on a hard drive with XP and meant to be used with a Dell D630.

What all else would be needed?

Thanks

I'm still leaning towards this setup and for a 2004 T1N if I understand correctly, the C3 is the correct version?

Does the Xentry software have to be "registered"?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The C3 clones are pirated, and as such can not be registered. Which is fine, as you don't need to. The expensive online service and programming features are not available of course, as you aren't paying for them! Be aware that the C3 units are fairly slow operating, and a bit bulky compared to a handheld scanner. Of course the C3s have much deeper access, and a full suite of service documentation loaded.

calbiker

The C3 with a SS drive is fairly fast. Unfortunately you need a special pass code to get into special functions. The C4 is better as (I believe) you don't need and pass codes. I understand the C4 can be slow. The C4 can pretty much do everything, not the C3.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The C3 with a SS drive is fairly fast. Unfortunately you need a special pass code to get into special functions. The C4 is better as (I believe) you don't need and pass codes. I understand the C4 can be slow. The C4 can pretty much do everything, not the C3.
My C4 does not appear to be able to reset an "x starts remaining" condition, although I have never actually tried. It DOEs appear to be able to "add 5 starts", though.

I have never put the time into deeply understanding all the key creation utilities, etc, that came with the system. All very confusing.

Found a previous owner of this https://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-STAR-C4...mo-DTS-D630-Laptop-Mercedes-Benz/323303254627 C4 clone that has offered to sell me everything for 350

I'm a bit hesitant as my knowledge on these units is very minimal.

What do you all think? Thanks much in advance.

Here are his msgs...

If you want the C4 clone,
maybe I can sell you mine in half price, I don't need it anymore, car sold.
Just used less than 10 times.

It is fixed SDconnect working, fixed Xentry working,
DTS and Vediamo fixed and updated of course working.
"it is included everything originally in the selling item, same or more.
Dell laptop with Win7, Xentry 3/2018, Vediamo 5, DTS Monaco
SDflash with most CBF CFF SMR-D files.
SDconnect C4 main unit with all cables.
Everything ready to go and use.

Everything confirm working.
I've done couple coding and ECU flashing with it.
But can't confirm more since I'm not the expert.
Xentry DTS is fully patched with offline coding (by me).
Vediamo and DTS monaco are working with SD C4 now. (by me)
this is important in coding and flashing ECUs.
(that seller want to charge me 100euro to fix vediamo and DTS, that sucks)
Other than that, the hardware is good, cables are high quality."

SpaceBuckaroo

My C4 does not appear to be able to reset an "x starts remaining" condition, although I have never actually tried. It DOEs appear to be able to "add 5 starts", though.

I have never put the time into deeply understanding all the key creation utilities, etc, that came with the system. All very confusing.
Have you had any crashes during simulation runs?

Are you concerned about the C4 causing problems that you can't undo with your vehicle?

Are their any emission tests/teaching functions?

F2ca170

I'm interested in getting a unit for my 2012 170 WB.

I want to be able to VIN code my radio, and turn on my radio fader and camera input. And maybe change my top speed back to the dealer settable level of 80-82 mph (I'm stuck at 70 because it was a Ryder truck), and simple stuff like that. Maybe set the timeout of the interior cargo lights to be on longer (after the last door is shut).

The closest Freightliner dealer (almost 4hr round trip) wants to charge me two hours labor for those settings. Basically they're afraid to tell me they can do it in 30 minutes or less, and want to cover their butt. They keep telling me they've never done those things before, so it might take longer than expected. So I figure I'd be better off investing that money into a unit that I could have for later.

Can someone point me in the right direction please. I already have a CF-19 tough book PC I could dedicate to it. What am I looking for? C3, C4 or the C5 someone just mentioned. Are they all backward compatible.

I'd also be open to any offers of other users near me to help program the above items. I'd buy food and beer! Someone in another thread offered, but they're a long way from me.

Thanks for any advice!
Todd

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You are perhaps within a reasonable distance of Dr Andy Bittenbinder? (Sprinter Guru beyond measure)

864-623-9110 Clemson SC (just W of Greenville)
(leave a message, he'll call back)

You can even camp in his yard.

--dick

Last edited:

F2ca170

I called him once already and talked to him, and he said he didn't mess much with NCV3 when I asked about my top speed, and said he could only do T1N stuff????

He then referred me to a dealer in GA somewhere real far from me. I called them and got someone that didn't seem to know what I was talking about. So I gave up.

Lotus54

I’ve never messed with the newer vans (I have T1N) with the C3. I bought it with just the SSD and hardware- used my own computer I had. I used one of the Dells- I forgot the model number right now. But we had loads of them at work and they were pretty reliable and cheap now. I got a mini-dock that has a real serial port, but the older USB to serial converter I have works fine with it. There is no newer driver for it, but works great in XP.

I have a couple extra drive carriers, and can swap it out to Win7 for my newer diagnostics stuff - then just swap the drive back for XP and C3. Just one screw and it slides right out Works quite well.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
As for the speed limit change ... i don't know if the C3/C4/C5 systems can do that.
It may require (the "official way") a "secret" coded number from MB central (kind'a like the code that says "Yes, he paid for that option")
But those thoughts are just at the "hearsay" level from me.

3rd parties like GDE and SOS Diagnostics are able to re-code your ECM to remove the speed limit.

--dick

Top Bottom