Refrigerator

Kiltym

I am looking at a used Westy for purchase.

One issue I am not sure about. The computer control unit that sets the temp for the fridge does not seem to be communicating with the refrigerator (or the thermostat).

On the screen that normally shows the temp, it's just shows dashes. And in turn, the fridge does not turn on.

Anyone know what this issue might be?

The one comment the owner made was it was working until they had a low voltage issue with the house batteries. Based on the manual, the compressor will cut off in this situation, but I assume it should go back to normal once the voltage is ok again.

Thanks for the advice.

Riptide

I believe there is a test or two that one can run from the central control unit that tests the refrigerator. I'll look when I get home, unless OldWest beats me to it...

Here's the link to the repair files that would contain the tests (one has to download and unzip them); I can't download files at work.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7721

Last edited:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. Fuse sounds like a good bet, especially if computer console is just showing dashes for fridge and can't even adjust fridge temp. Fuse is accessible behind the rear bench seat, on the underside of the countertop.

Plug into shorepower (should see "plug" icon on computer display) so don't have to worry about low voltage. (May want to factor in new coach batteries if existing ones are original and/or went to a significant discharge state.)

For curiosity, does computer console work fine in turning heater on/off, and does other stuff on console work (fresh water level display, voltage, etc.)

2. Pending Riptide's link to testing, you can try this in the meantime:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54038

Please post whatever you find. If you decide to pass on this Westfalia, might want to encourage owner to post sale here.

Kiltym

Checked the fuse and is fine. Replaced with another as well, and also still showing "---" for temp.

I did run the diagnostics from the computer control on the compressor, and it seemed to be working. The Amps displayed went up to about 8, and then started to go back down. No idea if this is normal for this compressor as the test manual shows 4.5-5, but that might be after initial start up. Anyone else care to run the computer self-test on the fridge and report back the Amps showing.

When I tried the self-test on the thermostat for the fridge, nothing seemed to happen. The display just stayed at the --- as it does when in normal operation.

Any other thoughts?

Kiltym

One other note on this, the computer does not seem to be showing the tank levels for water or grey. Nothing shows up at all on the display in normal operation.

When I did the self test on those, it reported "F" which means something is not right.... Related? Or just "stuck" sensors?.....

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. Tank Levels

Fresh water tank should have an icon which shows water level in thirds. The fresh water tank sensor sometimes breaks (especially if plastic and not stainless steel rod version) and is replaceable for about $100. The sensor is a float on a rod. Try filling tank.

The gray water tank icon only appears as a flashing icon when tank is almost full. It does NOT show any other levels. The sensor is also a float.

The black tank level gauge is on the underside of the rear cabinet above bathroom door. Usually inoperative/inaccurate and not worthwhile to replace.

2. Thermostat

The fridge thermostat could be defective?

3. Replacement Central Computer Console

There is also a self-test of the central computer console. Might try that to make sure control panel works.

There is a replacement computer control console if easier to just replace parts versus diagnostics.

4. F display

Is the F the same as the F which shows up when the top left temperature button is pushed? (The outside temperature function is not hooked up although one can retrofit a sensor--as Sprinter has outside temp on dashboard, guess Westfalia thought unnecessary).

Kiltym

OldWest: The F that is displayed is not the small F next to the temperature readings. It is a big F where the numbers display, like the voltage number. It is the same size as one of those numbers. It states in the repair manual that a reading of "F" means the sensor is sending invalid values.

onemanvan: I did indeed miss that link! Thanks for re-posting. Did not realize these use Danfoss compressors and controllers. Familiar with them from years on a boat with one.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
On Yahoo Sprinter Westfalia group, a Westy with similar or identical issue is now sold. Don't know for sure if this was same Westy being discussed here, and whether original poster or someone else purchased.

Be interesting to see how this issue is resolved.

Kiltym

Yes, same one. I did not purchase however for other reasons, so not sure if new owner will post what the resolution is.

Top Bottom