So, is this my glow plug module?

Redpillar

I am still trying to track down the intermittent slow start, where the truck sometimes turns over about eight or ten times before it fires up. Much like when you do not wait for the glow plug light to go out before cranking the engine. Quoted nearly 500C$ to replace the glow plug module, does that sound about right? Does it need to be learned in?
Thanks for any help..

Attachments

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Yes, that's the GP module. Looks like the latest version. Very easy to change it yourself. AFAIK, no need to 'teach in'.

D

Deleted member 50714

Year model? Proper Glow plug selection for OM 642 must be checked using Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) in EPC to ensure that the correct versions of glow plug control unit (ceramic or steel version) and/or glow plugs (ceramic or steel) are installed. Europarts may not keep their data base updated.

Do NOT rely on the part number of the components in the vehicle as they may have been previously replaced with the incorrect part number.

NOTE: Do Not Intermix different types of glow plugs and/or glow plug control units. Only components of the same type (e.g. ceramic glow plug control unit and ceramic glow plugs) or (e.g. steel glow plug control unit and steel glow plugs) may be installed together (US engines use Beru and NGK glow plugs).

Buy it online fore $150 and change it yourself.

Its two torque bolts and an electrical plug.... where are they getting $350 in labor? Its all accessible from right on top of the block. Easy Peasy.

Redpillar

Thanks all, when I dropped it off to have the serpentine belts and pulleys replaced I mentioned to the "service adviser" that sometimes the van turned over a few times before starting. I asked them to look at the module and tell me if it was the old style or not. When I picked it up they told me it was the old style and gave me a quote of nearly 500 dollars to replace it.. Would you normally get a glow plug code if the module was starting to fail?
Thanks again

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Thanks all, when I dropped it off to have the serpentine belts and pulleys replaced I mentioned to the "service adviser" that sometimes the van turned over a few times before starting. I asked them to look at the module and tell me if it was the old style or not. When I picked it up they told me it was the old style and gave me a quote of nearly 500 dollars to replace it.. Would you normally get a glow plug code if the module was starting to fail?
Thanks again
<sigh> The GP module in the pic is definitely the new style. It may not be the latest version, but it is definitely not the original found in 2007-2009(?) and maybe later Sprinter V6 diesels.

The original GP module is square, with a circular 'bump' in the centre. Search for 'Glow Plug module' in the NCV3 section of the Forum to see a pic of the 'old style' GP module in posts 4 & 5:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33956

Top Bottom