2020 Transit Getting 10-speed auto and All Wheel Drive

boxer rebellion

Ya know this new 2020 Transit is definitely appealing, mainly the 10 gear trans, better interior creature comforts (which adds to distractions & more failure points to occur, but Ford had to update to keep up with current trends), and an AWD. With the 10 gears, hopefully we will see better miles/gallons. As whole (state-to-state), better service availability. HOWEVER, I still think the T1N's are the best....more sexy, better engine, more durable trans, producing better miles/gallons. I am about to purchase a Dodge 158" T1N 2006 model with over 120,000 miles, and there is an open T-21 recall on it, I am located in San Antonio, TX. Should I be worried as it is difficult to find a competent Dodge dealership to perform the recall and also a competent Diesel Sprinter mechanic to perform the difficult maintenance items, such as pulleys, tensioners, belts, EGR, Turbo change...I am a total novice. Love the 2006 Sprinters, but have lots of fears and not enough down time to spare....Don't we all..

MikMal

.... Should I be worried as it is difficult to find a competent Dodge dealership to perform the recall and also a competent Diesel Sprinter mechanic to perform the difficult maintenance items, such as pulleys, tensioners, belts, EGR, Turbo change...I am a total novice. Love the 2006 Sprinters, but have lots of fears and not enough down time to spare....Don't we all..
I would check with Mercedes to see if they will do the recall work. I've had ZERO luck in having Dodge do even the most basic work on my 2008 Dodge Sprinter. Dodge Stopped selling Sprinters in, I think, 2010 and they don't have as many, if any, of the specialty trained mechanics anymore. As an example, the Dodge mechanic had to look at you-tube to see how to reset the maintenance reminder on the dash after an oil change.:doh:

paintrain

With an SCT/BullyDog tune on the EcoBoost (and/or eventual on the new 2L diesel) this may be a very appealing option.

HarryN

Hopefully there will still be a 6 cyl option with an auxiliary alternator capability.

The eco and smaller engines just cannot support sufficient electrical power draws.

danski0224

I am about to purchase a Dodge 158" T1N 2006 model with over 120,000 miles, and there is an open T-21 recall on it, I am located in San Antonio, TX. Should I be worried as it is difficult to find a competent Dodge dealership to perform the recall and also a competent Diesel Sprinter mechanic to perform the difficult maintenance items, such as pulleys, tensioners, belts, EGR, Turbo change...I am a total novice. Love the 2006 Sprinters, but have lots of fears and not enough down time to spare....Don't we all..
It is doubtful that Dodge (now RAM) will be spending the money on technician training, tools and software for the Dodge branded Mercedes Sprinters. Based upon my past experience with my 2008, I would NOT go to a Dodge dealer for Sprinter service. No way in he11.

You need to either find a competent independent like Dennis (lindenengineering) or find a Mercedes commercial van service center or a Freightliner service center.

When my 2008 needed warranty work after the 2010 Chrysler/Mercedes divorce, Mercedes would not touch it. Not sure if that will apply to recall work, but I will assume that it will.

danski0224

Having to deal with a wheelwell rust repair on my Sprinter, under warranty, with less than 15k miles when documented, is pushing me towards a Transit.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make financial sense to actually do it.

I would have to go back at least 4 years to get the cost to a "reasonable" level.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Hopefully there will still be a 6 cyl option with an auxiliary alternator capability.

The eco and smaller engines just cannot support sufficient electrical power draws.
Both V6 gas engines have a dual 250 amp alternator option.

https://www.motor1.com/news/307927/2020-ford-transit-new-tech/

The stock single 250 amp alternator will power a 1000 watt pure sine vehicle powered inverter. Even when idling. I have no need for anything more. No need for dual alternators.

A small van does not need to be a power company sub station.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Having to deal with a wheelwell rust repair on my Sprinter, under warranty, with less than 15k miles when documented, is pushing me towards a Transit.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make financial sense to actually do it.

I would have to go back at least 4 years to get the cost to a "reasonable" level.
Look at the Transit wheelwell design. Not very well done. Lots of locations to hold wet mud so doubt Transit is any better than Sprinter and it might be worse.

danski0224

Look at the Transit wheelwell design. Not very well done. Lots of locations to hold wet mud so doubt Transit is any better than Sprinter and it might be worse.
Yeah, I don't like it either. One plus is the lack of a panel joint area facing down towards the tire, like the Sprinter.

However, it took until 2019 for the Sprinter to have full galvanized panels, unlike the Transit.

ENMeyer

I'd be ready to switch to a Transit if I could get over the steep hit in fuel economy. Maybe that 10 speed will help with that. I love driving a diesel, but it's not worth it anymore with the complicated emissions issues. Going from 23 mpg to 14 mpg is just too much of a hurdle.

But, we are getting closer..... Transit now (soon) has crew van option, two side windows, great driving dynamics, more dealers, etc., and hopefully, less maintenance costs.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The fuel economy hit is not nearly as significant if you factory fuel cost differences. Diesel is almost always 20% more expensive. 0.8*23=18.4 or It depends on the size/roof, but the transit gets at 15mpg cruising on the highway. So the extra fuel cost is 13.8-16.9=3.1 cents per mile. Low cost of maintenance offsets a good portion of that as well. Also considering you will pay thousands less for a gasoline powerplant, its not easy to make a purely economic argument against the gasoline powerplants.

ENMeyer

The fuel economy hit is not nearly as significant if you factory fuel cost differences. Diesel is almost always 20% more expensive. 0.8*23=18.4 or It depends on the size/roof, but the transit gets at 15mpg cruising on the highway. So the extra fuel cost is 13.8-16.9=3.1 cents per mile. Low cost of maintenance offsets a good portion of that as well. Also considering you will pay thousands less for a gasoline powerplant, its not easy to make a purely economic argument against the gasoline powerplants.
Totally understand and agree. It's also a mental thing getting 14 mpg. Seems like an old motorhome from the '80s would be getting that. That being said, I think I get about 12 mpg when towing our boat with the Sprinter.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Correct. The overall cost of ownership is very close to equal. Less mpg but everything else is less expensive than a Sprinter. Hard to say which which cost less to run.

Multiple items to compare: mpg, scheduled maintenance costs (big difference), repair costs, initial cost, DEF costs, parts costs.

What you do not get in a Transit is prestige or the ability to brag about fuel mileage.

As a reference I have averaged about 15 mpg with an Ecoboost 148" WB (not extended) 2000 # conversion. Ecoboost does go considerably faster if that has value.

Transit does not have a long wheelbase like the Sprinter 170". Just a 148" WB with an extended body (long overhang).

Advantages and disadvantages to both vehicles.

Last edited:

ENMeyer

What you do not get in a Transit is prestige or the ability to brag about fuel mileage.
I used to say that the Benz was also worth it because you get a loaner when it's in for service, and that's very nice when it's your work vehicle and can just drop it off, and get a loaner.

Well, for the privilege of $400 oil changes at the Benz dealership, you don't even get a loaner anymore (at least at my dealers). Heck - even DIY oil changes are about $140 unless oil is on sale.

It was also surprising to me that the Transit has better handling characteristics than the Sprinter. That's odd for an American car to out handle a German car!

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
It was also surprising to me that the Transit has better handling characteristics than the Sprinter. That's odd for an American car to out handle a German car!
Major difference. That is why I always suggest people drive both. But if you are going very slow then handling is not important. Transit Ecoboost is much nicer to drive and it can go fast if needed.

I suspect the handling difference is mostly due to the Transit McPherson strut front suspension instead of a across the body leaf spring as on the Sprinter.

I have to be carful here or the Sprinter police will arrest me! I try to limit my comments but sometimes can not help it.

danski0224

I believe several companies offer plastic wheel well tubs for the transit. Might be worth checking out.
Ford offers them as aftermarket accessories for the F-150 and Super Duty. Front liners are available for the Transit.

The big WTF to me is why, exactly, are they not included with the vehicle? I feel the same way about rear wheel well liners on the Sprinter.

I did not research into aftermarket offerings, if any.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Graphite Dave

Are you getting ready to order a 2020 Transit?
No. I am done spending my life building conversions. Two is enough. Like the 2015.

Actually may prefer my 6 speed. It has hill holding, manual shifting and optional tow/haul mode. I do use the manual shifting occasionally so less gears to select may be a positive. Use the tow/haul mode regularly for automatic down shifting when going down a hill. I am sure the 10 speed will increase fuel economy but that is not extremely important to my requirements. As long as it gets reasonable (15 mpg) fuel economy that is all I need.

If I did buy a 2020 I would consider the new 3.5 non-turbo engine instead of the Ecoboost for a couple of reasons. The replacement for the existing 3.7 non-turbo has more horsepower/torque than 3.7, should get better mpg with the 10 speed, has both port and direct fuel injection, less parts than the Ecoboost and does not have start/stop.

Top Bottom