The choice: Diesel vs Gas

IdleUp

Unfortunately, it looks like I called that one correctly...
Sure you did . . . Sail didn't have a clue of the difference between a hybrid an a Plug In. Then when you accused me of being a Sprinter-less troll, I posted an image of my Benz to prove you wrong.

When I came across this thread and discovered electric was being discussed, I joined in because this is what I do to make a living. When sail went south with his incorrect electric statements I in a friendly manner gave him some real life electric car examples to help him understand.

This is typical key-board Jockey activity, if anyone comes online and even hints any of the regulars to be wrong, they feel their forum positions might be compromised and they begin attacking, just as you're displaying with your last two posts.

Anyhow, this is a distraction to this informative thread, my apologizes to the "other" users and administration, but if you read my past posts, it vindicates me of any wrong doing.

By the way, this will be my last comments on this Un-warranted attack.

Regards - Mike

Sure you did . . . Sail didn't have a clue of the difference between a hybrid an a Plug In. Then when you accused me of being a Sprinter-less troll, I posted an image of my Benz to prove you wrong.

When I came across this thread and discovered electric was being discussed, I joined in because this is what I do to make a living. When sail went south with his incorrect electric statements I in a friendly manner gave him some real life electric car examples to help him understand.

This is typical key-board Jockey activity, if anyone comes online and even hints any of the regulars to be wrong, they feel their forum positions might be compromised and they begin attacking, just as you're displaying with your last two posts.

Anyhow, this is a distraction to this informative thread, my apologizes to the "other" users and administration, but if you read my past posts, it vindicates me of any wrong doing.

By the way, this will be my last comments on this Un-warranted attack.

Regards - Mike
Mike, I didn't say you were wrong- I said you were being a dick.

Dave is a very nice guy- he gave you no cause to act like that.

Davydd

Let's get it right - I didn't build a drone once, I designed the "Worlds First Aerial Drone System" for both the Military and private use!

Gee, and you guys never even said my van looks good either! LOL

Regards
The US Navy had drones in 1968. They were on my ship. I hope I didn’t just violate my cosmic top secret clearance. ;)

Davydd

Wrong again - You had "Fixed Wing Drones" not Rotory Wing helicopter drones!

Thanks
They were helicopter drones and we were a repair ship with just a back fan deck. We were also the flagship for the Atlantic fleet.

IdleUp

They were helicopter drones and we were a repair ship with just a back fan deck. We were also the flagship for the Atlantic fleet.

LOL You're dreaming, are you sure you were even there - seems like a few higher up's here have problems getting facts right, i.e. electric vehicles, 2wd verses 4wd, and now drones, etc.

There was no such thing as rotory wing helicopter drones in existence on your ship or anywhere in the world in the 60's-90's. The machines I built for Military and professional aerial surveillance and motion picture work were the first in the world, Not until the 80's did the US Army & Martin Marietta attempt to build Rotory Wing drones for Military use and they all failed. My Machines were the only successful platform for 28 years. All the larger electric drones available now, use the technology I developed decades ago. Any other questions?

Have a great Day - Mike

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
LOL You're dreaming, are you sure you were even there - seems like a few higher up's here have problems getting facts right, i.e. electric vehicles, 2wd verses 4wd, and now drones, etc.

There was no such thing as rotory wing helicopter drones in existence on your ship or anywhere in the world in the 60's-90's. The machines I built for Military and professional aerial surveillance and motion picture work were the first in the world, Not until the 80's did the US Army & Martin Marietta attempt to build Rotory Wing drones for Military use and they all failed. My Machines were the only successful platform for 28 years. All the larger electric drones available now, use the technology I developed decades ago. Any other questions?

Have a great Day - Mike
I’m sure the above is as accurate as your made-up definition of “hybrid”. I think I’ll choose to believe the person who was there.

Pathetic.

IdleUp

I’m sure the above is as accurate as your made-up definition of “hybrid”. I think I’ll choose to believe the person who was there.

Pathetic.
LOL it just kills the higher Ups to be wrong about anything . . . .

Anyhow, there is a distinct difference between a hybrid system such as used on cars and trucks and a true hybrid where the engine does not drive the wheels. I went ahead and re posted it below for your review. As I mentioned electric cars are my hobby!

Thanks for the reply however a BMW I-3 or I-8 or GM's ELR Cad or Volt is not really a Hybrid and works on a totally different principle. A Hybrid uses an engine as its main source of power by using a small generator to store power such as when coasting or braking to a small lithium pack. When you start out, the generator converts to a motor to help the engine and or save fuel.

The other type is a Plug In Hybrid with a gas engine which also stores power when braking or coasting, but unlike a hybrid, most of these Plug-ins like the BMW I-3, ELR Cad and Volt (18.4kw) only use the electric motor to power the car. The engine has no mechanical means to move the vehicle. The engine is solely hooked to a generator, which in turn powers the cars electric motors or charge the batteries.

There is a few exceptions, such on my BMW I-8 plug in uses a smaller lithium pack (7.1 kw) where the I-8's electric motor is strictly for performance reasons. During a off the line take off, the I-8's electric motors power only the front wheels and since electric motors develop 100% torque instantly, it fills the gap for the time it takes the I-8's turbo motor to spool past the turbo lag making a great combination of power. With the I-8 the result is unbelievable acceleration off the line, yet you still have a Turbo engine (located in the rear of the car) so you still get the rush of hearing a real engine. Even though the BMW I-8 electric is mainly for performance, you can still drive this sports car in electric only power (front wheels only) with the engine off if you like, but the range is only around 15-18 miles.

Electric plugin and a gas engine is the best combination there is, unlike thy Tesla when you want to take a trip you just leave and travel as you would in a standard car or van.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Electric plugin and a gas engine is the best combination there is
That is your opinion not accepted by everyone.

Personally I believe having a gas engine and a electric motor in the vehicle to use as one or the other power source is a poor design choice. Hauling around extra weight to compensate for an inadequate drive system is not good design IMO. Ok to use a battery to recover the energy wasted braking.

You or I are not the appointed experts on vehicle design. We are entitled to our opinions, but they are just our opinions.

Last edited:

Davydd

Have a great Day - Mike
I said Navy not US Army or Martin Marietta. They were definitely helicopter drones in 1968 and they flew. Whether practical, successful or not, I do not know after I left that ship in 1970. What the hell are you saying higher ups? And how did drones enter into a Sprinter diesel vs gas discussion other than you vain attempts at validation? People have absolute strong opinions on any subject are suspect to me and are pretty much tagged as a blowhard. You are one.

IdleUp

Dav hello and thanks for your reply!

Regretfully you're hallucinating again "Read My Lips" there is no debate or opinions "there was no unmanned drone helicopters anywhere in the world".

I worked with the US Army, Navy, Air Force, DEA, Border Patrol, Night Vision labs, and many other companies developing the fist unmanned Drone helicopter for aerial surveillance and front line warfare. There were only fixed wing drones like the US Army's Aquila which was developed to be launched from a truck and recovered in nets, because there was no helicopter drones other than mine and we never licensed or sold any to the Navy.

In answer to your question - We're taking about drones because we were discussing electric powered Sprinters with lithium batteries and regretfully I mentioned I used lithium in our drones when I attempted to explain the difference between hybrids and plug in hybrids.

Have a great weekend - Mike

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD

Have a great Day - Mike
Mike - you need a history lesson...

https://www.jhuapl.edu/techdigest/td/td3203/32_03-keane.pdf

Attachments

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Dav hello and thanks for your reply!

Regretfully you're hallucinating again "Read My Lips" there is no debate or opinions "there was no unmanned drone helicopters anywhere in the world".

I worked with the US Army, Navy, Air Force, DEA, Border Patrol, Night Vision labs, and many other companies developing the fist unmanned Drone helicopter for aerial surveillance and front line warfare. There were only fixed wing drones like the US Army's Aquila which was developed to be launched from a truck and recovered in nets, because there was no helicopter drones other than mine and we never licensed or sold any to the Navy.

In answer to your question - We're taking about drones because we were discussing electric powered Sprinters with lithium batteries and regretfully I mentioned I used lithium in our drones when I attempted to explain the difference between hybrids and plug in hybrids.

Yes - have a great weekend....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrodyne_QH-50_DASH

Attachments

IdleUp

Hey Thanks for the PDF! It confirms exactly what I have been trying to tell you there was no successful helicopter drones other than my equipment.

In fact, If you look at page 569 at the top of the page you'll see the exact US Army fixed wing drone I was just talking about (Aquila) flopping in a net which they seldom ever could hit. They developed Aquila which is a "Fixed Wing" drone because they had no Helicopter Drones. The US Army spent over a "Billion" dollars on Aquila and it never flew a mission.

I'm also very familiar with the Dash project, is not by any means a surveillance drone helicopter like Aquila or the equipment we build. The Dash was a total failure and its only mission was to "hopefully" fly over a sub and drop a bomb which it never did successfully. In addition, the Dash is only converted "full size" counter rotating helicopter (2000 lbs) with 350 hp yet it could not sustain flight for any period of time.
The government dumped million and millions of dollars into Dash trying to make it fly. On every test it either flew off or crashed on the deck. They finally S-canned the project in the mid 60's after dumping over 500 million dollars and never completing a mission. The Dash never ended up on any ships because it was never certified for military use. There's a big difference between just building a drone and having a successful drone.

If you want some real helicopter/drone history, I invite you to visit my personal web site at:

www.rotory.com

Top Bottom