Does anyone have one in the PNW for viewing?

luvwagn

I'm looking to buy one, but need my wife's sign-off. In order for that to happen, I'd like her to see one in person, sit in it, and even see if she can drive one. She's 5' nothing.

Does anyone in WA or even parts of OR have one, and would be willing to spend an hour with us and show us the wonders of this amazing vehicle?!

Cheers... :cheers:

Brian.

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I'm just north of Vancouver WA. It has a cover on it and it is a pain to remove & replace especially when wet so no drive test until late spring. You are welcome to try it on for size. The driver's seat has lots of adjustments, back angle, front & rear seat height, forward and backwards and probably some more.

Rob

luvwagn

I'm just north of Vancouver WA. It has a cover on it and it is a pain to remove & replace especially when wet so no drive test until late spring. You are welcome to try it on for size. The driver's seat has lots of adjustments, back angle, front & rear seat height, forward and backwards and probably some more.

Rob
Hey Rob, we'd be up for a road-trip to see it, without even driving it. Would you be willing to pull the cover some decent weekend? My wife merely wants to see inside of one, sit in the driver's seat (and passenger seat), and check for fitment. She is 5' nuthin', and worried that she won't be able to drive at all (at which point, getting an automatic isn't a requirement, and I have other options on the table - although I still love these things).

Waiting to spring wouldn't be ideal, as I'm trying to sort out a Pre-Purchase Inspection and shipping of the vehicle from FL to WA :|

Cheers!
Brian.

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I'm retired so almost any day of the week works. PM for contact details. You should drive it from FL, I did a trip to Virginia and back in 9 days, 5 hours. Take a bit more time and see something other than the highway....

onemanvan

No doubt some owners will take issue with my comments. Nevertheless I feel compelled to say this. My opinion - my experience - after more than a decade of use - is my Westy is NOT always fun to drive... I would imagine a prospective buyer/driver could visit the nearest MB dealer, slip behind the wheel of any Sprinter van and get a fairly good idea of whether or not they can adjust the driver seat to a safe and comfortable position. But I think the more important question is whether or not they are comfortable actually driving it. And perhaps more importantly is the OWNER of the Westy comfortable allowing someone else to drive their Westy?

I think it is fair to say many Westy owners have NOT been entirely happy with the way the vehicle handles - evidenced by the number of posts on the forums detailing the many modifications they have made to the suspension. With difficult to quantify degrees of success...

It's a short wheelbase vehicle with a VERY high profile. That coupled with the fact that Airstream upset the center of gravity by adding a heavy air conditioner and generator.

For example:

1) When entering or exiting a driveway it's basically mandatory to slow down to walking speed - lest the vehicle rock back and forth so violently you wonder if it's going to tip over.

2) While driving at highway speeds with anything other than a tailwind you may find yourself clutching the steering wheel with a sweaty two fisted death grip.

3) My personal comfort zone at highway speed with light to moderate winds is 60 to 65 mph. At that speed - on an interstate - you'll have a semi passing you every few minutes. If you don't pull over toward the shoulder as far as you can the semi will suck the Westy in toward it.

4) After the semi passes the Westy will be buffeted rather aggressively in the disturbed airstream in back of the Westy. Again prompting a sweaty two fisted death grip.

5) To prolong the longevity of the drivetrain and brakes it's prudent to manually upshift/downshift on steep grades.

6) One must always be cognizant of the vehicle height - eleven feet - to avoid crunching the fiberglass top.

No doubt I left out a few things but hopefully you begin to get the picture. Driving a Westy requires 100% concentration 100% of the time and a thorough knowledge of the vehicles limitations. It is NOT like driving an automobile!

It's unfortunate that both Airstream and Westfalia abandoned us early on. Procuring parts and service for the camper related stuff has been challenging at times.

My comments aren't meant to discourage anyone from owning a Westy. Personally - if I had it to do all over again I would still enthusiastically choose the Westy!

Bottom line: Following the Blue Highways at a reduced speed and a knack for fixing things yourself - both mechanical and electrical - could result in a more satisfying experience...

Last edited:

Kiltym

1) When entering or exiting a driveway it's basically mandatory to slow down to walking speed - lest the vehicle rock back and forth so violently you wonder if it's going to tip over.

2) While driving at highway speeds with anything other than a tailwind you may find yourself clutching the steering wheel with a sweaty two fisted death grip.

3) My personal comfort zone at highway speed with light to moderate winds is 60 to 65 mph. At that speed - on an interstate - you'll have a semi passing you every few minutes. If you don't pull over toward the shoulder as far as you can the semi will suck the Westy in toward it.

4) After the semi passes the Westy will be buffeted rather aggressively in the disturbed airstream in back of the Westy. Again prompting a sweaty two fisted death grip.

I am only going to comment on these items, as when we first purchased our Westy (about 2 years ago), all of these items were very much the situation. The first time I drove with any wind, was very sketchy.

Our Westy had stock shocks/struts, and the roadmaster active suspension installed when purchased.

Driving at speed (>65) on the highway was a challenge, and not much fun. Everything you described it pretty accurate, especially with the semis.

We did however install new rear shocks (Bilstien B6), and I can honestly say it is night and day. All of the issues, wallowing, semi-truck sucking and buffeting, and general driveabililty totally changed.

Sure, it is not a standard car, but we drive pretty normally now to be honest, and it has been a long time since I had the death-grip when a gust of wind or big truck built the air pressure up against the van. So although the stock Westy I think everyone agrees has some handling issues, I do believe they can be remedied without breaking the bank.

We hope to change the front struts at some time as well, but thus far, with the upgraded rear, it is not a high priority.

Just another opinion.....

One other item we have learned, it is much more fun to drive the "secondary" highways at 55 and watch the scenery, rather then the interstate at 70. And MPG at 55 is typically 22-23 mpg for us. Which saves money as well.

onemanvan

Kiltym - would it be fair to say that upgraded shocks alone would not suffice - rather it's a combination of upgraded shocks AND active suspension?

And for the broader audience: Has a consensus of opinion been reached as to what constitutes the optimal combination of after market components?

Last edited:

Kiltym

Kiltym - would it be fair to say that upgraded shocks alone would not suffice - rather it's a combination of upgraded shocks AND active suspension?

It is hard to know. All I can say is that with just the active suspension, I had numerous moments of fright with wind and semi's (and the annoying wallowing leaving driveways). So I have no experience with an unmodified Westy to know if it could even be worse then what I experienced. And, I have no experience with other folk's Westys and their suspension mods, only with what we have done in adding the Bilstien shocks.

And for the broader audience: Has a consensus of opinion been reached as to what constitutes the optimal combination of after market components?
Again, just my opinion, but based on the number of opinions that float around about this, I suspect there is more than one solution to the problems you pointed out.

I think you are in AZ somewhere, and we will likely be in that area next month and would be happy to swing by and let you test drive ours if you are interested in seeing first hand what I believe to be a big improvement.

luvwagn

I am only going to comment on these items, as when we first purchased our Westy (about 2 years ago), all of these items were very much the situation. The first time I drove with any wind, was very sketchy.

Our Westy had stock shocks/struts, and the roadmaster active suspension installed when purchased.

Driving at speed (>65) on the highway was a challenge, and not much fun. Everything you described it pretty accurate, especially with the semis.

We did however install new rear shocks (Bilstien B6), and I can honestly say it is night and day. All of the issues, wallowing, semi-truck sucking and buffeting, and general driveabililty totally changed.

Sure, it is not a standard car, but we drive pretty normally now to be honest, and it has been a long time since I had the death-grip when a gust of wind or big truck built the air pressure up against the van. So although the stock Westy I think everyone agrees has some handling issues, I do believe they can be remedied without breaking the bank.

We hope to change the front struts at some time as well, but thus far, with the upgraded rear, it is not a high priority.

Just another opinion.....

One other item we have learned, it is much more fun to drive the "secondary" highways at 55 and watch the scenery, rather then the interstate at 70. And MPG at 55 is typically 22-23 mpg for us. Which saves money as well.
Appreciate this feedback - the viewing / sitting experience is more about getting my wife to buy into the idea of buying one. I personally don't think she'll drive it much, but at least having the option to drive it short distances (while I'm golfing, for instance), is a good thing. it is much more about whether she feels comfortable with the interior, design, etc.

The driving thing, while great feedback, isn't worrisome for me - perhaps foolishly. I've owned multiple VW vans - including a high-top, and experienced a lot of different driving characteristics. Yes, this will be different - but i'm used to being in the slow lane on hills and other circumstances, and used to doing 60-65mph in my diesel Syncro (now deceased). Not an issue. And I'm willing to do various upgrades such as anti-sway bars and shocks in order to improve stability on the highway as well.

Appreciate the feedback and dialog - i'm new here, but hope to be an owner soon and a more active participant. Cheers.:cheers:

luvwagn

I'm retired so almost any day of the week works. PM for contact details. You should drive it from FL, I did a trip to Virginia and back in 9 days, 5 hours. Take a bit more time and see something other than the highway....
Will PM you, really appreciate it.

Issue is that turning it into a big family vacation means finding a 2-week dog-sitter, and only driving about 5-hours per day as we'd be bringing our 2-year old with us. Doing all of that as the FIRST trip in a brand new vehicle to us, doesn't seem like a great idea? I think I'd rather get it back here via shipping (ouch), then use it for some long weekends, prior to finally doing a 2-3 week vacation in it.

Cheers. :cheers:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
You'll need to make sure the shipper can handle such a tall vehicle (11'). A lowboy trailer would probably work.

Airstream had drivers drive the new Westies to the various dealers from Jacksonville, Florida (shipping port). The Airstream "upfitting" like the generator and tv were done in Jacksonville.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Just for fun, you may also want to check the German James Cook Friends forum for ideas.

I think there was a photo there where some Westy owner turned the bottom bench seat into a playpen by adding a rail to the side of a halfway, flipped.bench seat.

http://james-cook-freunde.de/start/kinderbett.html

There was also an aftermarket playpen type screen door for the sliding door.

http://forum.james-cook-freunde.de/

And some new Florida owners with a toddler and travel vlog.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72149

Last edited:

Riptide

No doubt some owners will take issue with my comments. Nevertheless I feel compelled to say this. My opinion - my experience - after more than a decade of use - is my Westy is NOT always fun to drive...
Ya know, I read these things, and wonder what sort of van I have. I've never had any real moments of fright by passing semis, crosswinds, on-ramps and off-ramps, etc. Personally, I think the thing handles pretty darn well for what it is; an RV.

In full disclosure, I have upgraded the suspension, but that was in part due to my desire to put what I felt was the best system available, while it was still available. The OEM shocks were probably toast anyway.

I have logged probably 99% of the miles on ours, but my wife has driven it, and she doesn't seem too worked up over it. She just plain doesn't like driving like I do.

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Most likely if you’ve gotten this far, you are not going to dislike it when you see it. In fact you’ll probably fall in love with it even more.

My personal experience, as a family Westy traveler with two kids:

When I picked up the van it had only Koni shocks for suspension upgrades. Driving was a bit unsteady. However, I enjoyed the steering and the vehicle was somehow solid, tight, and actually fun to drive. The first thing I did was upgrade to the larger size up Michelin tires, as many others have done.

Our first trip was from Pennsylvania to Florida. At that time, the kids were 2 and 8. The first drive down was a steep learning curve. We had to learn how to function in this vehicle and understand all of the systems. Plus, it was winterized and we had to learn how to unwinterize it, which turned out to be a cinch. We didn’t like it right away. It took a few weeks for us to truly “get it” at which point it blew our minds how amazing this vehicle was!

The biggest suspension issue we experienced on that trip was shaking when passing or being passed by semis. Also windy conditions were challenging, although never as bad as the old VW vans I’ve driven. We decided to get the Roadmaster active suspension spring helpers. $500 or so seemed a reasonable price. The difference was enormous. The confidence after this upgrade was day and night. At that point, the only thing still happening was a slight vibration from the wind when passing the semis. Not at all a problem.

At some point afterwards, I discovered that I was making a mistake by following the factory recommended 55 psi front tire pressure. As others had recommended, I experimented and settled on 65-70 depending on road quality. This made a significant improvement, enough that I wondered if the other upgrades were needed.

The only area that’s a bit weird is going slow at an angle onto driveways where the AC weight causes a rocking motion, but this has nothing to do with normal driving.

Since those changes, we’ve put about 60k+ miles on the Westy. Some of the trips were non-stop across the country. Not only was handling not a problem, I actually immensely enjoy driving the Westy. It’s kind of like a little big rig with Mercedes engineering. It doesn’t feel like a car at all, but the experience is one of being in an industrial machine. Plus the seats have been great (and we are spoiled by the seats in our Volvos). We just love it! Also, some of these miles have been with hauling a 3500-4000 lb trailer. The trailer actually improves the handling, totally rock solid, although you have to slow down and downshift a lot.

One other controversial note: I did add the GDE tune. There are lots of valid different opinions on this, but it has worked out for us. Power has been improved and so has MPG. We also use a variety of diesel additives (lately have been loving the German Liqui Moly one).

Last edited:

grozier

A few thoughts on kids and the camper: We have two, now 3 and 6, and they sleep upstairs with the net, now that their self-preservation instincts will keep them from trying to jump over. The advantage of this is that they can go to bed while we stay up. The disadvantage is that Mom and Dad get a much less comfortable bed.

For toddlers, we found a very narrow folding cot (the Hauck Dream-and-Play sold here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauck-Dream-n-Play-Travel-Folding-Mattress/dp/B000K7AQWA?th=1 -- maybe also available in the US?) would _just_ fit between the bench and the front seats. With this in place, an older child can also sleep lengthwise on the bench seat. The cot prevented her comforter from falling off.

We also had one of those clamp-on chairs for the end of the table that worked pretty well: https://www.amazon.com/Inglesina-Fast-Table-Chair-Award-Winning/dp/B00IOGIM9S/

The kids love the van!

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
My wife and I are unwilling to give up the comfort and experience of sleeping on "top of the world" and under the stars in the upper bed. So what we do is put the kids to sleep in the lower bed and hang a towel off the upper bed edge. This blocks light and gives sense of separation with the kitchen area, where we can hang out a bit before we go to bed.

In case we are driving late enough that the kids fall asleep on the way, we have a routine. The little one gets taken out of his car seat and lies down on the counter, still asleep. The older one is big enough to get up while half asleep and rest on the kitchen floor. The child seat is moved up to the passenger seat and the lower bed is quickly converted, then the kids are moved into their comfy bed. They have gotten quite used to it.

The kids like to give tours of the Westy to the endless amount of curious folks who inquire. They are like little salespeople. These kids...if they only knew how good they have it!

At some point I heard of a Westy family who figured out how to make an additional child bed on the front seats. Maybe using the table as a base?

A few thoughts on kids and the camper: We have two, now 3 and 6, and they sleep upstairs with the net, now that their self-preservation instincts will keep them from trying to jump over. The advantage of this is that they can go to bed while we stay up. The disadvantage is that Mom and Dad get a much less comfortable bed.

ElDirt

I followed the link posted by Old West and built the kinder'kot design linked on the JC forum. Not quite the same as the one they did, but it works nicely and removes the need to bring a pack n play; which totally holds you hostage outside until bedtime, not sayin that's a bad thing.

One thing I discovered is that the seat will stay up at about a 75 degree angle after reset to the full down position then back up. We opted to not drill any holes, and brace the backside with a strong clamp attached to the aluminum rod.

...hah, now all my projects have something to do with my kid!

Tags: Crib, cot, manimal, child, infant

Attachments

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Nice job! And great to see more families using the Westy. Seems much more common in Europe. Families on this side haven’t so much discovered that you can take your whole family on the road without a clunky oversized RV.

(Of course before you know it your kid will figure out to escape...)

Top Bottom