Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 12-20-2019, 04:04 AM   #21
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Default Re: Sprinter Westfalia #248 Refitting

I think a small electric water heater would be a good option.

I don't like coolant line water heaters as possibility of leaks at the joints and cross-contamination between coolant and water (although there are some non-toxic coolants which are different than engine coolant lines).

An ideal setup would have a combination of 12v and 120v in low and high wattage heater elements.

The 12v low wattage (150-200 watts) could use excess solar panel to heat the water during the course of the day.

A higher wattage 12v element could be powered by the engine alternator. Or a 120v element could be powered by shorepower or off the batteries with an inverter.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...t=Water+heater
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldWest For This Useful Post:
Robert Foster (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #22
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,515 Times in 4,750 Posts

Given that coolant contains a bittering compound, you would know within half a second if there was contamination. Nasty stuff. HOAT coolants (which the sprinter uses) are drastically less toxic. The change of poisoning is ridiculously low, especially if a good quality heater is used (many use stainless components).

The T1N makes tying into the cooling system easy. Take the outlet from the aux water pump below the brake booster. Run it to the heater (insulate the lines). Run it back to and splice to the existing hose going to the heater core. No cutting of factory hoses required, and only three extra joints.

Last edited by Midwestdrifter; 12-20-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Midwestdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
Robert Foster (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #23
Robert Foster

OldWest ... Thanks for the reply.

That Elgena 1.6 gallon 12v water heater is interesting albeit expensive for it's size. The specs say it will heat the water up to 185 degrees, which when mixed would give me plenty of water for washing up.

MidwestDrifter ... Thank you for that explanation, which I think I understand.

The two pictures below show what I think you describe, which is stupid simple really. The short hose leaving the auxiliary water pump, that attaches to the hard line heading to the Espar, gets removed and a loop inserted in it's place with the Isotemp in the middle of that loop.

Is that all there is to installing the coolant side of one of these Isotemps ? If so I only see two extra joints/hose clamps at the Isotherm. What am I missing here ?

Old 12-21-2019, 12:10 AM   #24
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,515 Times in 4,750 Posts

Yep, that's exactly right.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #25
Robert Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
Yep, that's exactly right.
Excellent. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:24 AM   #26
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Westy Variations.

1. Taller rear doors.

Probably too much work, but there is a European type Westy which has the taller rear doors of the higher roof Sprinter but the Westfalia fiberglass top. The back of the fiberglass top is cut into for the taller doors.

Don't know much about this van but it might have been a DIYer who bought a fiberglass top replacement or the leftover Westfalia NAFTA kits. Think it was a white van.

2. No upper windows.

Along those lines, there is also a red Westy without the upper wing vents.

Half-slider replacement windows would be nice but haven't seen any.

Note: Search YouTube for "Sprinter 4x4 James Cook Roof" by Alex del Oso Villa. Video shows the taller rear doors and no upper window vents.

Last edited by OldWest; 12-22-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Add Note.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #27
Robert Foster

I'm almost finished the tear out and back to neutral where/when I can start building back up the many components whose details currently prevent me from going back to sleep in the too early morning.

Yesterday I worked on tearing out the rest of the Westfalia specific wiring harness. I had to remove the headliner, drivers side B pillar and foot well to pull out the main electrical loom that contained the cable that charged the house batteries and numerous branch conductors that connected to the central computer mounted in the headliner.

Any house, whether stationary or on wheels, is only as good as it's foundation. There are a few big tasks outside of my current skill set that need attending to on my foundation - 15 year coolant system service and brake job are a couple of examples.

I'm confident in my woodworking skills, and increasingly my fiberglassing skills, but as a mechanic - I am just a monkey. Give me good directions, preferably with lots of pictures, and I can probably get the job done. Diagnosing the problem and trouble shooting during the wrenching aren't fully in my wheelhouse.

Like a lot of carpenters, I eventually transitioned to woodworking. I had my own one off solo shop for seven years. That was before digital photography, so unfortunately I have very few pictures of my work, but here's one of my design/builds. A 3'x3' cherry table, and chair with ebony structural accents. The table top spins and flips open to become a 3'x6' table. I liked the design so much, that I didn't sell them, which is how I can have a picture of them both. My ass is comfortably sitting in that chair, almost 30 years old now, (the chair not my ass) as I type this with my computer on that table.

... back to my current "foundation". Here's a pic from five years ago, somewhere in Idaho. I flew from Virginia to Oregon, made the purchase, and drove back home.

Among the occasional bouts of doubt, that in my mechanical ignorance there is the possibility that I may have started a fine woodworking project on top/inside of a lemon, there is a mechanical concept that this monkey can comprehend. Rust. I've seen too many threads/horror stories whose main character is a rusted out Sprinter. Every time I head into the T1N Talk Forum, I do so fearing that I am going to click open a thread that exposes yet another potential mechanical issue that I had just moments before been blissfully ignorant of.

Fortunately, my Sprinter doesn't appear to be that type of rusted out character. I've crawled all under mine, exposed the entire floor and uncovered three of the four door wells and found nothing but the most minimal of rust...knock on wood.

The drivers side foot well, while dirty with a clogged drain scupper, once 15 years of road debris was removed, had only surface rust. For now, I will treat this with some Right Stuff rust neutralizer and move on with the many bigger tasks that are in my wheelhouse.

Ideally, I would like to deliver my rolling foundation to a trustworthy Sprinter mechanical guru and have them go over it from stem to stern to do all the proactive maintenance necessary for the next 15 years. If anybody is interested in talking about perspective applicants and/or their experiences with this type of service, I am all ears.

Last edited by Robert Foster; 12-22-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Robert Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #28
Robert Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWest View Post
Westy Variations.

1. Taller rear doors................................Note: Search YouTube for "Sprinter 4x4 James Cook Roof" by Alex del Oso Villa. Video shows the taller rear doors and no upper window vents.
Thank you OldWest

I like the white color of that Westy, love the natural wood interior, desire the windows ... and absolutely LUST after the 4x4 drivetrain.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #29
ooznak

Hello from Spain! Last one has not a James Cook roof. The roof was made by an spanish company: Camperoad

Here you can see all the history:
https://www.furgovw.org/foro/index.php?topic=219805.0

Last edited by ooznak; 12-22-2019 at 02:41 PM.
ooznak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ooznak For This Useful Post:
OldWest (12-22-2019), ranchworld (12-23-2019), Riptide (12-23-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #30
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Ooznak:

Interesting re the "James Cook" type roof made in Spain. It looks like the original Westfalia top with the various indentations.

Foster:

If Dr A (Andy Bittenbinder) near Clemson, South Carolina (used to be Pittsburgh, PA) has the time, he'd be a good source to go through the Sprinter side. He has serviced many Westies. If you want, he will teach and supervise any work you do. Might have him do a thorough review, then break-up the work into what you might do over time and what you need Dr A or someone else to do over time.

Not too far from your location--nice road trip.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7131

The good thing is the T1N is a better mechanical platform for repairs than the more complicated mechanically newer Sprinter models (at least that's what the experts seem to suggest on this forum).

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ighlight=westy
The Following User Says Thank You to OldWest For This Useful Post: