Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
SubForums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 11-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
alexk243
KulAdventure

Default Facebook Groups vs. Forums

Has anyone else noticed that facebook groups are taking on a lot of the roles that forums use to? I am in a few groups on FB and I see more and more maintenance questions and build questions on there, which is fine and people are very quick to respond, but I find that there is a real lack of follow up or possible no response from the original poster.

For example, on here someone may ask about the best way to make a shower in a camper van and there will be a lot of responses and the person will continue to ask questions and hopefully they conclude with how the finished their project and what option they went with. On facebook I feel that someone will post something like "show me your best shower ideas for camper vans" and you will get a ton of people posting how they did their shower, but the original poster never responds, doesn't ask questions, and doesn't follow up with what they went with.

Lastly there isn't a great search function... On here if I want to research what insulation I want to use I can spend hours.. even days, reading other peoples post who have dealt with the same issue and learn almost everything there is to know about it, but on facebook every time someone wants to know about insulation a new post is made and everyone makes the same comments again.

Maybe I am just making all this up haha, but I wanted to see if anyone else noticed or felt that way. I really enjoy forums and don't want to see that traffic move to a closed group with a lack of information retention like facebook.

My Website/Blog with Projects and Write Ups on my Van
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
flman
Fast and sloppy typist

Thanked 5,208 Times in 4,030 Posts
Default Re: Facebook Groups vs. Forums

I am not leaving forums for social media, until they pry my cold dead hands from the keyboard.
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,049 Times in 5,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that facebook groups are taking on a lot of the roles that forums use to? I am in a few groups on FB and I see more and more maintenance questions and build questions on there, which is fine and people are very quick to respond, but I find that there is a real lack of follow up or possible no response from the original poster.

For example, on here someone may ask about the best way to make a shower in a camper van and there will be a lot of responses and the person will continue to ask questions and hopefully they conclude with how the finished their project and what option they went with. On facebook I feel that someone will post something like "show me your best shower ideas for camper vans" and you will get a ton of people posting how they did their shower, but the original poster never responds, doesn't ask questions, and doesn't follow up with what they went with.

Lastly there isn't a great search function... On here if I want to research what insulation I want to use I can spend hours.. even days, reading other peoples post who have dealt with the same issue and learn almost everything there is to know about it, but on facebook every time someone wants to know about insulation a new post is made and everyone makes the same comments again.

Maybe I am just making all this up haha, but I wanted to see if anyone else noticed or felt that way. I really enjoy forums and don't want to see that traffic move to a closed group with a lack of information retention like facebook.
To a certain extent I agree.
Its fairly clear that the younger generation use social media much more than other generation have done!
To date and indications are that its growing in all aspects including businesses what want to attract customers. & future recruitment, staffing, etc. though the multi platform nature of social media.
My own business(s) have used a company that tracks all medic activity over each quarter for several years now. Overall the cost has been well worth it, since it shows treads, on line activity feed back etc etc.
Traditional "on line" & phone activity has certainly been static and basically following seasonal trends. In fact it ("Facebook") has far exceeded Indeed and recruiting expectations.
The social media side has ballooned this year with astonishing figures.
I do have a daughter in the office that tracks all this and posts job positions amongst other things , some being autos social.
We are about to launch more content in that area of Hybrid and Electric cars, since that sector is becoming more prominent with more choices in the market place .
Strangely having used again traditional methods of recruitment I located a much better pool of potential young auto tech candidates than I would have expected.

So to sum up I thing it potentially has the "power" to reach more people than just a friends/family group chit chat platform. Certainly its good for those it would seem that don't care to contribute to social media and its content such as this one.
The whole world is going through some seismic shifts this is just one embrace it
Good post opening post/topic, well done!
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,587 Times in 9,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
The whole world is going through some seismic shifts this is just one embrace it
Good post opening post/topic, well done!
Dennis

My children are around 40 years old and use social media a bunch. My grandchildren are teens and make them look like pikers.

I take the grand-kids out in the Sprinter for various things. I know that the phones are constantly alight in the seats behind me. After an outing I'll mention something to my wife about what we did. Most of the time she already knows what we did thanks to social media from the kids.

The phones get stowed when they sit down for a meal with Grandpa.

My grandchildren are not likely to participate in forums. They will figure out how to use social media to achieve a similar result.

So far I've not been sucked in by social media. I suppose that could change.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
glasseye

Thanked 1,834 Times in 984 Posts

I sometimes attend a FB page related to my Rad e-bike. It’s my only FB use.

Compared to any forum, let alone this one, it’s more or less useless. There are no topics, no retention of ideas, no threads, no “write-ups” and poor search.

There is, however, a lot of useless, vapid chatter.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glasseye For This Useful Post:
alexk243 (11-14-2019), SD26 (11-22-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
alexk243
KulAdventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasseye View Post

Compared to any forum, let alone this one, it’s more or less useless. There are no topics, no retention of ideas, no threads, no “write-ups” and poor search.

This is exactly how I have felt...

I didn't want to make this an anti-social media argument, more about the groups on there vs forums and how it feels like there is a migration towards those. They do have much faster responses, but as you pointed out and I agree with, its a lot of chatter and no topic/retention/threads.

That being said I do participate in them and help out others on facebook groups when I can, but I feel like the help falls on deaf ears and there is no discussion. Glad to hear I am not the only one that feels that way.

My Website/Blog with Projects and Write Ups on my Van
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,738 Times in 1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasseye View Post

I am an active member of the FB Sprinter group.

For me it's not which is better, or one or the other mentality. I see its merits, so that makes it worthy.

One of it's merits is that it is closely moderated and with tighter reigns. It is much more civil, and many of our infamous 'obnoxious' or 'flming' users here would fall under a 5 & 5 rule.... 5 days or 5 posts, which ever comes first, before they get banned.
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
glasseye (11-14-2019), lindenengineering (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
flman
Fast and sloppy typist

FB and Twitter, just that many more opinions.....
The Following User Says Thank You to flman For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (11-15-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #9
flman
Fast and sloppy typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
I am an active member of the FB Sprinter group.

For me it's not which is better, or one or the other mentality. I see its merits, so that makes it worthy.

One of it's merits is that it is closely moderated and with tighter reigns. It is much more civil, and many of our infamous 'obnoxious' or 'flming' users here would fall under a 5 & 5 rule.... 5 days or 5 posts, which ever comes first, before they get banned.

Geez, the pot is calling the kettle black. Thank you for taking away our privilege to lock threads, by being a coward and taking cheap shots then locking the thread so no one could dispute your insult.

Thank OrioN that we can't lock our own threads any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to flman For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (11-15-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,351 Times in 6,063 Posts

Another problem with FB "forums" is that you don't necessarily see notifications of posts ... FB doesn't "push" all messages to all members.
There are differences between the distributions of "business" FB pages compared to "personal" pages, too ... and still not all of your friends/followers see all of the posts to the page.
As content ages it tends to disappear from your view as well.

As Yahoo is currently going through the throws of shutting down the web interface to their groups, many groups are migrating ... i'll say "most" are going to groups.io, but a number are going to FB ... with many members saying "no thanks".

--dick (microscule (1000x smaller than miniscule) presence on FB)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
alexk243 (11-15-2019), flman (11-14-2019)