Tire suggestions? I'm a Newby

FloJoSprinter

Any suggestion for tires for my recently purchased 2008 Pleasure-Way Ascent TS. I will use it as everyday driver but need tires that will travel well in all weather & conditions for long vacation trips. Currently the tires are the orginal Continental Vanco 4 Season. Yep they are 8 years old but only 15,000 miles. Just not confortable with how old they are even tho I have been told they still look good. Thanks for the help.

sailquik

FloJoSprinter,
Get the Michelin LTX MS2 tires in the 245/75R16 Load Range E size.
Here's Mfg's suggested tire size per the Tire Rack.com website for a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 170" wheelbase:
Original Equipment Wheel Diameter: 16"
245/75-16
Load Range E

The Michelin LTX MS2's are pricey, but these tires provide the best overall traction in all conceivable traction situations
and they have at least a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty.
I have dual chains for winter driving, but have never had to use them since I put Michelin LTX M/S2 tires on my Sprinters
(2010/2011/2012/2014).
I've done several hundred miles in snow without any problem.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

3mbusa

What he (Roger) said. We have the Michelin LTX MS2 on our 2013 MB 3500/Pleasure-Way and they are super -- improved the handling noticeably. :thumbup:

Aggie

2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal
Replaced my Continentals this spring with Michelins, 6000 miles since and have no faults. An earlier thread on this topic warned that the Michelins hold gravel in grove till thrown off at high speed. I noticed this but maybe wouldn't have if someone else hadn't pointed it out. Haven't had snow or mud experience but did have lots of rain and wet road conditions with no noticeable lack of traction.

I'm on my second set of Michelin LTX tires. The first set was the original that came on it and they were the M/S. I drive mine daily and they lasted great for almost 9 years. It was time to replace them and I again chose the Michelin LTX but this time, the M/S2 was the replacement since the original wasn't made anymore. They're great and from other owners reports, you'll notice a big difference going from the Continentals to the Michelins. Everything from more stable to a quieter ride and longer lasting apparently. I'm glad mine came with Michelins and I would not change them to anything else.

FloJoSprinter

Wow Thank you everyone! I have been taking sneak peaks at other Sprinters and noticed majority are using the Michelins. Looks like I have found a winner. Thanks again!

boatmangc

I have used both Kumho and Michelin in South Florida so I have nothing to offer about ice/snow. However, on my T1N I did an experiment using A pair of Kuhmos and a pair of michelins . Equal wear on each pair, regular rotation the Kumho is an equal in my heavily loaded application. For roughly 50% less initial cost it's a no brainier for me.
My new 2015 came with the Kumhos as original equipment

FloJoSprinter

I finally saved the money and purchased the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. Now the questions are... 1) I seem to get more slight swaying or fishtailing like feeling and is this because of the new tires tread? 2) They filled the tires in front with 47lbs. and rear with 70lbs. I'm being told by "others" to make sure all tires are at 70lbs. I'm a bit confused with all this?? Sorry but I can't seem to find much in the forum about this. Then again
I am such a newbie. Thanks for any help & suggestions.

The tires are too low. Look on your drivers side door sticker for the correct tire pressure.
The back should be at 80 and the front about 55 or so. Your numbers should be similar.
You'll get a little squirelliness at first, but it wears off quickly I found on mine.
Also, if you have air bags, make sure they're properly inflated, but right now, it sounds like your tires are too low.

FloJoSprinter

Thanks for your reply bl smith25. the inside door says 70 rear & 47 front. Visually they look a bit low. As for the airbags I have them set to 50lbs for daily driving & for trips I'm guessing we inflate them
so the rig is level after everything has been added (cargo tray bikes clothing water (1/2 tank) diesel lpg)? Any knowledge to share about the airbags would be great appreciate.... Thanks again :)

Ahh, good. The difference is the smaller Sprinter I guess. Once you drive the new off the tires (mine didn't take very long at all), you might try increasing the tire pressure a little at a time to see if it feels better.
As for the airbags, what you have is good. If you want it a little harder, increase it to 55 or so. From what I've been reading and my own, it seems anywhere between 50-60 is comfortable. It helps if you can adjust them on the fly, but of course to do that, you need to have the onboard compressor and inside gauges installed. It was an option back then so if the original owner didn't order it with them, they won't be there. Anyways, hope that helps.

FloJoSprinter

Ahh, good. The difference is the smaller Sprinter I guess. Once you drive the new off the tires (mine didn't take very long at all), you might try increasing the tire pressure a little at a time to see if it feels better.
As for the airbags, what you have is good. If you want it a little harder, increase it to 55 or so. From what I've been reading and my own, it seems anywhere between 50-60 is comfortable. It helps if you can adjust them on the fly, but of course to do that, you need to have the onboard compressor and inside gauges installed. It was an option back then so if the original owner didn't order it with them, they won't be there. Anyways, hope that helps.
Well our new tires are great. :thumbup: I did a slight increase in pressure & adjust the airbags to 60lbs on our last trip. Had the Ascent weighed & we were 50lbs short of maxing out on GVW. Thanks again! :cheers:

Westham

I also have air bags on my 2008 PW TS and have just fitted a compressor and dials so I can adjust while driving, now getting a great smooth ride but I have not adjusted my tires yet, still running them at 47 fronts and 70 rears but may try and increase by a couple of pounds to see if that improves anything.

vidwize

Hello,

I run a 2005 PW Plateau, I found being E rated tires rear tires 80psi is fine at max pressure with front 65 .... If your running with the Firestone ride right rear airbags the manufacture recommends filling the airbag to rear tire pressure .... I found my airbags would not hold air very long, ( No compressor on board ) but two rear air zerks under rear bumper. after dismantling and inspecting all air couplers, which were tight and as manufactured, I removed the shredder valve and pumped in Green tire slime ( Pep Boys) reinstalled the shedder valve and filled the airbags with 80psi air, then drove around town, Now I lose 1 pound of air per month. perfect !!! I found the RV more stable at high speeds 70mph+ with a very comfy ride

I use that green slime in both my Harley Davidsons bike rims, which leaked air all the time ... Now when I ride to motorcycle rallies out of town I know my tires will be full the whole trip, I have used the stuff for 35 years in all my equipment tires, One down side is once put in tire you can never patch a tire ..... But I would never patch an RV tire any why, Only replace with new !

Hope this helps someone with Air bag suspension Firestones holding air longer

Happy trails

Top Bottom