2019 Crew Van 4x4 Build

run4x4

Please provide inputs on my potential build. I would like to make sure I get the most out of factory additions and don't miss out on key functional additions. Please provide feedback on must haves and nice to haves.

Usage
  • Used for 2 person camping.
  • Crew rear seats to carry friends and family for outdoor adventures.
  • Don't plan on conversion - rear space is left for hauling gear and sleep on the floor
  • Lithium house battery charged using Aux alternator
  • D2 heater for cabin heat
  • TBD adding a AC - optional

Base
  • Crew Van 144" - High roof - 4x4
  • Color non-metallic - TBD

Packages
  • C00 - Comfort Package
  • C01 - Driver Convenience Package
  • C03 - Premium Plus Package (Assume it includes C02)
  • X68 - Comfort Plus Package
  • X69 - Swivel Seats Package

Others
  • Aux Alternator Bracket
  • H12 Heater/Booster

MTNXTC

We tried to order an aux. alternator bracket. When dealer looked it up on the computer it said that you had to have a fleet number in order to get one.

VanGoSki

We tried to order an aux. alternator bracket. When dealer looked it up on the computer it said that you had to have a fleet number in order to get one.
I just had my salesman add one to my build yesterday and it was accepted by MBUSA today. They are not a fleet dealer.

MTNXTC

That's so crazy. Everything seems so inconsistent. We did our cargo van build out in March and we were not able to get the auxiliary bracket nor a bigger alternator both of them said you had to have a fleet number. Go figure

Sctn

2019 170 4x4 Crew-SMB West
There are some really good builds on here if you dig a bit. Things like 270 degrees swinging rear doors can be overlooked initially among others.

run4x4

That's so crazy. Everything seems so inconsistent. We did our cargo van build out in March and we were not able to get the auxiliary bracket nor a bigger alternator both of them said you had to have a fleet number. Go figure
Aux alternator bracket can be added without much hassles (based on my experience when dealing with 2018 build) - this retrofit IMO costs thousands to get done aftermarket (high labor).

VanGoSki

Aux alternator bracket can be added without much hassles (based on my experience when dealing with 2018 build) - this retrofit IMO costs thousands to get done aftermarket (high labor).
Why would the labor be so high? Nations says their bracket is "very simple to install". It's just a bolt-on. The kit with the alternator, bracket, belts, etc is $1600. But even with the N62 option you still need the alternator, belts and other parts. The nations kit for that is $840. If you do the arithmetic you're paying $318 more for the Nations bracket than you would for the N62. Not horrible by any stretch.

https://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/Mercedes-Sprinter-Van-s/773.htm

run4x4

Why would the labor be so high? Nations says their bracket is "very simple to install". It's just a bolt-on. The kit with the alternator, bracket, belts, etc is $1600. But even with the N62 option you still need the alternator, belts and other parts. The nations kit for that is $840. If you do the arithmetic you're paying $318 more for the Nations bracket than you would for the N62. Not horrible by any stretch.

https://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/Mercedes-Sprinter-Van-s/773.htm
Afaik, the engine needs to come from the factory with different manifold routing etc. N62 is just one piece of the puzzle.

VanGoSki

Afaik, the engine needs to come from the factory with different manifold routing etc. N62 is just one piece of the puzzle.
Maybe Nations designed their bracket kit around those constraints, I dunno. It doesn't seem likely that they would flat out lie and say it's a very simple install when it's not. They're a reputable firm.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
The Nations alternator is a simple bolt on when combined with the N62 option. I believe the Nations bracket takes a bit more disassembly and effort. Both the N62 and the Nations kit includes the bracket, a tensioner, and possibly some plumbing to reroute the coolant lines. I thought Nations had instructions available.

For the N62 option my Mercedes salesman just had to submit a request for approval from MB headquarters for the fleet options. Appeared to me that they were always approved unless the factory just plain ran out of parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sanomechanic

Please provide inputs on my potential build. I would like to make sure I get the most out of factory additions and don't miss out on key functional additions. Please provide feedback on must haves and nice to haves.

Usage
  • Used for 2 person camping.
  • Crew rear seats to carry friends and family for outdoor adventures.
  • Don't plan on conversion - rear space is left for hauling gear and sleep on the floor
  • Lithium house battery charged using Aux alternator
  • D2 heater for cabin heat
  • TBD adding a AC - optional

Base
  • Crew Van 144" - High roof - 4x4
  • Color non-metallic - TBD

Packages
  • C00 - Comfort Package
  • C01 - Driver Convenience Package
  • C03 - Premium Plus Package (Assume it includes C02)
  • X68 - Comfort Plus Package
  • X69 - Swivel Seats Package

Others
  • Aux Alternator Bracket
  • H12 Heater/Booster
You can not get swivel seats in a Crew. Even if you give the VIN to Mercedes to order them afterwards. The parts computer will not allow the items to be ordered. This is a fact!

VanGoSki

You can not get swivel seats in a Crew. Even if you give the VIN to Mercedes to order them afterwards. The parts computer will not allow the items to be ordered. This is a fact!
Do you have to have a VIN# to buy parts from MB?

I can make a bundle by buying seat swivels for my cargo van and selling them at a profit to Crew and Passenger van owners. :laughing:

sanomechanic

Do you have to have a VIN# to buy parts from MB?

I can make a bundle by buying seat swivels for my cargo van and selling them at a profit to Crew and Passenger van owners. :laughing:
Any 2019 Cargo Van VIN will work. Be sitting down for the cost though. Not sure if you can sell factory stuff and make a profit. Already looked into this. Out here in SoCal dealers quoted $1200 per side. Factor swivels are not like aftermarket. They are sold as assemblies and also require shorter seat bases. Factor swivels are very nice though.

mikecol

The Nations alternator is a simple bolt on when combined with the N62 option. k
Nations has one that fits the N62 MB bracket. Think this uses the belt for the water pump.

I bought the 3 belt version that has a bigger bracket, and stronger damper. The kit I got has two monster welded wrench tools to remove pulley that fan is on. Fan get extended and new pulley for alternator is stacked. This gives two benefits: belt is only for alt (so when it breaks you keep going); and pulley sizes are different so the alternator spins about 3X (maybe more) rpm than the engine (this pretty much eliminates needing high idle too).

My stuff is still in boxes so don't have a report on actual use.

Thought I would mention that since I couldn't get a N62 bracket and now happy I didn't.

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
What's your thinking on the additional alternator.

I'm going to have a lifeblue 200 amp house battery in my on order 16 (4x4=16 does it not) and I do not see why I would need the 2nd alternator.

VanGoSki

What's your thinking on the additional alternator.

I'm going to have a lifeblue 200 amp house battery in my on order 16 (4x4=16 does it not) and I do not see why I would need the 2nd alternator.
You didn't ask me, but that won't stop me from making a semi-informed guess. :bounce: (Someone will correct it if it's wrong, I'm sure.)

According to their website, your Lifeblue 200 has a recommended charge current of 120 amps and a max of 150 amps. However, you're not supposed to draw more than 30 amps off your stock sprinter alternator. That's probably fine if your main source of power for charging is solar, and the alternator is just a backup. But for those folks who don't want solar, the second alternator seems like the way to go. I'm pondering doing this myself on my upcoming build.

Last edited:

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
In my travel trailer I charge the lifeblue at 13 amps Max on solar (clean panels sun overhead) If I'm using the converter it out puts 45 to 48 amps.

In my friends rig a 170 4 clylinder with a huge solar panel (300watt?) He's never actually closed the switch to connect the alternator.

The lifeblue are so flexible that I'll probably put on a 180 watt panel and top it off with the stock 220 alternator or go for the 250. I'm also getting the adjustable idle. If the battery is very low(less then 20%) and I'm worried about overheating or stressing the altnator I'll charge it 10 minutes on 5 off.

My current 2008 with 2 agm batteries ate the stock alternator about 100k miles, the replacement 250 is doing fine with 130k miles on it.

Is anyone on here running modest solar, 200ah lipo, and stock alternator?

If this was my first build I would do 2 alternators, on my 5th I'm sticking with one treating the alternator as possible consumable item.

You can also carefully undersize the cable from the alternator to the lipo battery so it won't pull more then 30 to 40 amps or so I saw on the internet some where.

I could be wrong about everything of course.

Last edited:

mikecol

You didn't ask me, but that won't stop me from making a semi-informed guess.
My two cents: I have 10 X 110AH Trojan Trillium with 150A charge when Xantrex SW3012 is on shore power. Didn't bother with solar: just not enough area on 144WB to get enough Amps; no need for cost, wiring, wind noise, ...

2nd Alt should help get enough amps to the battery bank in a moderate drive. The pulley ratio helps during idle (at the expense of running high RPMs when driving; all dependent on bearings).

With a much smaller battery bank the decisions on solar and 2nd alternator are quite different.

VanGoSki

My two cents: I have 10 X 110AH Trojan Trillium with 150A charge when Xantrex SW3012 is on shore power. Didn't bother with solar: just not enough area on 144WB to get enough Amps; no need for cost, wiring, wind noise, ...

2nd Alt should help get enough amps to the battery bank in a moderate drive. The pulley ratio helps during idle (at the expense of running high RPMs when driving; all dependent on bearings).

With a much smaller battery bank the decisions on solar and 2nd alternator are quite different.
Thanks for your input. Dang, that's a big house battery. What do you need with all that power?

Edit: Oh wait, Florida. Air conditioning?

Top Bottom