Who has a better camp site than me?

calbiker

A couple of my favorite camps in Baja: Playa La Perla and El Requeson. They are both a couple miles away (by kayak) from Buenaventura bar. A great place to see the Super Bowl. Paddling further out into the channel are the dolphins. Normally the Bay of Conception is very calm, sunny and warm.

IMG_3712R.jpg

IMG_3742R.jpg

IMG_3715R.jpg

IMG_3724R.jpg

glasseye

From my vantage point here in the Great White North in the middle of March, that looks absolutely PERFECT! Feel the envy.

Also, love your Costco chairs. :idunno:

Island Jim

We discovered the Buenaventura bar this year. What a fun, friendly place. We stopped for lunch on Super Bowl Sunday, they made room for us and served some excellent barbecue!

calbiker

Spent the last 3 Super Bowls at that bar. If you haven't gone already, Taco Tuesday is a major event. They usually have live music and the place is packed (noon to 2pm).

IMG_3714R.jpg

GSWatson

2013 144

Coming back from a two-week rafting trip on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, I thought I would delay my entry into civilization for a bit. So I found a little forest with a hot spring and wonderful views. Unbeknownst to me, shortly after I found a secluded campsite, the sheriff came through and told everybody to leave, but completely missed me. Then they put concrete blocks across the entrance to the forest. Good thing I have enough food in the van for a couple weeks, but… NO BEER!!! I wonder if I can get that choppered in.... [emoji848]

Not sure what I’m going to do all day....

Cheers,
Greg

ENMeyer

I think I'd like to be at Calbiker's Baja campsite right now, but I settled for (illegal) dispersed camping in Moab yesterday. Technically illegal, since Moab closed all camping, including dispersed, but I was driving through at 10 pm and just pulled off to sleep.

Overvand

'20 144" HR 4x4
I think I'd like to be at Calbiker's Baja campsite right now, but I settled for (illegal) dispersed camping in Moab yesterday. Technically illegal, since Moab closed all camping, including dispersed, but I was driving through at 10 pm and just pulled off to sleep.

The best form of "social distancing" there is. :drink:

surferJ

Coming back from a two-week rafting trip on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, I thought I would delay my entry into civilization for a bit. So I found a little forest with a hot spring and wonderful views. Unbeknownst to me, shortly after I found a secluded campsite, the sheriff came through and told everybody to leave, but completely missed me. Then they put concrete blocks across the entrance to the forest. Good thing I have enough food in the van for a couple weeks, but… NO BEER!!! I wonder if I can get that choppered in.... [emoji848]

Not sure what I’m going to do all day....

Cheers,
Greg

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If I remember correctly many of those beaches are just a few inches of sand over rock? But yeah, deep sand and heavy vans...

hugh

the best dream, reality
You guys with camper vans - how often do you use them? Do you travel more or the same as you did before you had the van? Do you use it as a daily driver too?

Love the pictures - thanks for posting!

glasseye

You guys with camper vans - how often do you use them? Do you travel more or the same as you did before you had the van? Do you use it as a daily driver too?

Love the pictures - thanks for posting!
Frito is my daily driver from March to December. During the depths of winter, he sleeps in the shop and I drive the Ridgeline. This is rural Western Canada, after all.

As a daily driver, he's perfect. The only disadvantage is parking garages - all interdit. Overheight. I don't care. I'm seldom in a city. A T1N is so easy to park, I can always find somewhere.

Frito consumes 0.6X $ per mile of fuel compared to the Honda.

Sinatorj

Mine is my locker room for snowboard days, live 15 minutes from ski area and whenever we leave town. Maybe drive weekly. Take handful of trips, have only had a year and half. Finally built out pretty complete.

hugh

the best dream, reality
Mine is my locker room for snowboard days, live 15 minutes from ski area and whenever we leave town. Maybe drive weekly. Take handful of trips, have only had a year and half. Finally built out pretty complete.
That's about how I would use one. I started thinking about getting one quite a while back while sitting in traffic. The dream scenario is to use it as a mobile office. Leave early, beat the traffic, work until the lifts start running, ski a couple hours, work till 3, ski the last 1.5hrs when the hill is empty, work some more or just hang out in the van until traffic subsides. No overnight camping allowed where I go. Plus, when there is no traffic it's only a 25 minute drive home (can be hours when the road is bad and traffic heavy).

Take the occasional spring, summer, fall trips.

I do need the 4x4, since the road is often restricted to 4x4 or chains. Of course that doesn't stop the people with 4x4 and bad tires from slowing down the traffic.

I almost bought one a few years back when the 4x4 just came out but couldn't get past the size of the vehicle. The old T1N 118" was as big as I ever wanted. I decided I didn't need one but this year the desire for a new vehicle is returning.

Top Bottom