I have installed a dual din flip screen radio
Installed a Polaris HUD to display speed onto windscreen
Removed center seat
Removed cargo barrier
Installed a Thule side step
Installed a long grab handle in the sliding door step
Installed sound deadening on all flat panels
Installed wood battens between roof struts to fix ceiling onto
Installed two layers of foil bubble wrap insulation throughout the sides, doors and roof of van
Had five tinted windows installed, four of which are sliders with internal fly screens
Removed all existing signage
Buffed entire vehicle except roof
Replaced signage with motorhome type graphics
Installed Fiamma powered roof vent
Installed Airmax vent cover
Installed bed frame with storage pods
Started lining ceiling
Started lining front drivers side wall panels
Installed 15 amp 240 Volt power inlet
Installed new vinyl flooring
Installed passenger grab handle on windscreen post
Installed 2 LED fog lights
Installed house battery box
Altered and installed both driver and passenger seat swivels
I have fabricated the Bathroom walls and hope to install them this weekend.

Last edited:

Brushtail

Nice one. Where did you mount the 2din radio?
I used one that has the pop up screen , so the radio is actually a single din but the screen is 2 din size and it is just mounted in the normal spot. the screen clears the top of the console no problems and it simply plugged straight into the MB wiring loom nothing to change.

wombat100

Hiya Brushtail,
The first thing we removed from our Sprinter was the Thule slide-out step !! It got hung up on quite a few occasions and became inoperable. Even at one stage it scraped just edging off the 'blacktop' onto the road shoulder.
We now used a $20 plastic step- works for us.
Cheers
Wombat

Brushtail

dixie265, I have used a 3mm poly coated plywood in a matt with a embossed pattern from "myplywood" it's nice and light to work with.
http://www.mrplywood.com.au/ have a look at their produces page and go to wall and ceiling products and it is listed as poly plywood. It was about $20 a sheet but they only seem to be in NSW and Qld which doesn't do you any good, sorry.
I suppose you could go to any kitchen cabinetry type plywood supplier over there and they should have something similar.
I also have a light coloured laminated gloss woodgrain ply that I'm using for all the cabinetry that was about $40 a sheet.

kappy5003

I used one that has the pop up screen , so the radio is actually a single din but the screen is 2 din size and it is just mounted in the normal spot. the screen clears the top of the console no problems and it simply plugged straight into the MB wiring loom nothing to change.
Hi Brushtail,I have been contemplating install a 1din radio with the big screen, but my concern was how it fitted into the radio recess with the screen at different angles.

Does this radio fitted completely into the recess provided, link a standard radio?

Cheers
Kappy

Brushtail

kappy5003 my radio screen comes out then goes up, it fits fine. I don't now how the ones that turn down would go. Mine is just a cheap one from ebay with Bluetooth for my phone and a reversing camera which I haven't fitted yet.

Skippy and Emu

G'Day.
Great write up and photos !
Was the single DIN Radio install REALLY that easy to install ?
Would love to acheive the same result, but have always been unsure as to whether it is as simple as plug and play .... or in reality, would quickly escalate in to one of those jobs, "you wish you had never started " !
Can you recommend a brand and model no. for the T1n that is "plug and Play " ?

Regards,
Steve.

ps. Sorry, unable to assist with your current starting problems. However, if you ever get intermittent, " no crank, no start " symptoms. I can provide a workable fix.

Brushtail

Skippy and Emu,
It really was the easiest Radio that I have ever installed I just needed an adapter fitting for the aerial from EU to the older long plug which was about $4 from Jaycar. The wiring harness comes with an adapter but I didnt need it it just clipped in the hardest part was pushing the wiring into the space as I pushed the radio into the slot.
This one is the same as mine and from the same dealer on ebay but mine came with the reversing camera as well for another 10 or 15 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/D1309-Mi..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item43aeb84171&_uhb=1
The blue tooth works well, I haven't tried the reverse camera yet, Radio is not bad (not great) and you need the remote to program your radio channels, time etc. You can also set whether the face lifts up with power on or stays up all the time, you can also set the face angle.
I suppose time will tell as to how long it lasts.
Cheers Phil

Skippy and Emu

Brushtail
Thanks so much for all the info.
I now feel a lot more confident in making the changeover !
Pulled out the old Pioneer radio this arvo. ( the little security tool thingies were still in the MB toolkit ) Looks like I already have the antenna adapter, and yes, I see what you mean about all the wires and plugs that have to sit behind the unit when you slide it all back in to position.
The radio has never been much good on AM, however, I mainly want to change it for a similar reason to yourself. Reversing camera monitor. I installed a camera a couple of years ago. One of my better decisions ! It really takes the stress out of reversing. I originally installed a 7 inch monitor above the sunvisor. ( was too heavy to fit to the visor itself ) When the visor is flipped up, the monitor is pretty much out of sight. Has worked well since day one, but I find it a bit of a challenge to focus on, 'cos it's so close. That's why I want to try the flip up screen type.
I also fitted the MB retrofit wide angle mirrors to the top of the existing mirrors. Also replaced the LHS original mirror with a flat mirror. With the new flat mirror, it much easier now to judge distances. and I have zero blind spots ! The van came with the full complement of windows. I have blockout curtains permanently drawn across all the rear windows ( except the passenger sliding door ) The Sprinter already had Ultrasonic reversing sensors fitted. So.... with the extra mirrors, camera, and ultrasonic sensors, I can reverse without have to look behind me. I just scan the mirrors and the monitor, and listen to the ulrasonic beeps. One thing I have discovered. If the temp. is over 35 deg. and you park with the camera facing the sun for a long period ... it stops working, until it cools down. ( even though I did manage to find a really cool White camera )
Thanks again,
Steve.

2003 313cdi MWB High roof + Wheelchair lift

Attachments

onthehill

Hello brushtail.
Just wondering where you got the swivel seats from? I have a 208cdi swb and I am looking at installing an extra battery for appliances. Have you installed an extra battery for yours and what kind of set up did you do. thank you your van is looking great, Oh is that a fold down table in one of the photos as well..

Brushtail

Hi, I got the seat swivels from KAB seating they have taken over Stratos seating, if you Google Stratos seating it will show all the stockist they are not a shop as such they mainly deal with truck and heavy veh seats etc so a showroom and warehouse type place. They did have ones specially for sprinters but stopped selling them until they have new engineers certs for them . They currently only sell the generic one which they have the engineers certificate of compliance for. it is the same width as the sprinter base but about 60mm shorter front to back. I welded two strips of steel the same gauge as the bases along the sides or the base and bolted the seat to them. They were $410 each including GST these ones only lock in the forward position, I know some lock in multiple positions.
I do have an extra house battery which I have mounted in one of those plastic battery box's under the end of our bed. What I think you mean by fold out table is in fact the end of the bed. I have built our beds running front to back with two single bed mattresses side by side, so across the back the mattress is full width but then at about mid thigh the bed divides into two singles with storage bins underneath. This makes it into a U shaped bed and means you can swing your legs out of bed to stand up and not have to slide down the bed on your butt.
This leg area becomes storage bins, on one side I have smaller storage bins inside the big one for my wife's bits n pieces above the wheel arch and a bigger one inboard and on the drivers side I have one big area where the house battery and general power leads and that sort of stuff will go. These both have lift up lids for access.
I haven't clad the fronts of these bins yet and that is probably why you thought they were tables as you can see the aluminium frame that I made the bed base out of.
I have most of the Bathroom done now and will post more photos soon.

onthehill

In regard to the seat swivel was that price just for the mounting plate, or was the seat included at that price?
What I was thinking of setting up with my spare battery was a mechanism that disconnects it from the driving battery when stationary but connects it when driving to re-charge it. Will you be doing this set up or something different? I am not great with auto electrics and trying to find the bits that I need to get this type of system to work. Any more information on this type of dual battery set up would be very helpful.
thanks for the tips.

Brushtail

That price was just the seat base plate, you can pick up cheap ones on eBay but how safe are they ?
Just about every thing I have elect wise is 240/12 volt so I can run off my battery or off 240 when plugged in via transformers .

Charliektm400exc

316 Ex Ambulance 2002
In regard to the seat swivel was that price just for the mounting plate, or was the seat included at that price?
What I was thinking of setting up with my spare battery was a mechanism that disconnects it from the driving battery when stationary but connects it when driving to re-charge it. Will you be doing this set up or something different? I am not great with auto electrics and trying to find the bits that I need to get this type of system to work. Any more information on this type of dual battery set up would be very helpful.
thanks for the tips.
Projecta, an Australian company, make dual battery systems. Pretty sure you can buy them at Supercheap. Don't worry about the complicated way you are talking of, let the system do it all for you.

Skippy and Emu

Onthehill
I got my swivel seat turntable for passenger seat, from Seats r us in Qld. a couple of years ago. At the time it was $400 + $50 freight to WA. They cost a bit more now.
http://www.seatsrus.com.au/product/turntables-swivels/nsc/turntable-1-fasp-mercedes-early-vw-lt35
  • Came with certificate
  • Came with low profile install bolts
  • Locks in forward position only
  • Made in Italy
  • Raises height by about 25mm
  • Can swivel with the doors shut. Just barely scrapes the door armrest
  • Seatbelt unbolts from seat, and bolts to seat box. Threaded bolt hole is already there
  • NO modifications needed
  • I fitted this in 1/2 hour !!!
Note, that you may need a step/platform behind the swivelled seat, as the floor level in the rear facing position is a lot lower than the front. ( most people don't like having their legs just dangling in the air )
I just love it when a product is easy to work with... and does exactly what you expect, and have paid for.
This also applies to the Thumper battery system I also installed.
Again, it may be perceived as expensive, but was extremely easy to install, is portable, and has digital readouts of voltage and current, which is comforting. When the internal batteries eventually die, I can repack the box myself for a reasonable cost. I did also install a Redarc 40A dc-dc smart charger, that can handle both the Thumper and solar input.
Picture attached shows one of the 55, 400KM round trips I did with the Sprinter when I closed my business, and shifted all my worldly goods to my country property. Pict. does not show the microwave oven that was placed on the seat whilst in the swivelled position.

Regards,
Steve.

Attachments

Last edited:

Brushtail

When I was on the roof installing my TV aerial the other day I noticed that the roof paint was pretty dull and faded so I ordered some Solarcoat UV reflective paint.
It was about the same cost as ordinary enamel rust proof paint as nobody is going to see it bar the truckie going past.
Anyway I picked it up today $120 for 4 ltrs I could have gotten some cheaper out of Sydney but they wouldn't deliver and the cost and time driving down there it was easier to just get this stuff.
I figure that even if it doesn't drop the temp at all I will still have a shiny new white roof :)

Top Bottom