Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
marklg

Default Dragging Parking Brake with new Rotors and Shoes

As part of my rear brake job, I am replacing rotors and parking brake shoes as well as the pads. After having a heck of a time getting the rotor off, see previous discussion of mine, I put the new brake shoes and rotor on.

The rotor just does go on, but it drags on the parking brake shoes. The adjuster is all the way closed and I even loosened the 4 bolts on the parking brake adjuster in the center of the van, but it is still dragging. I can just turn the wheel by hand with a 2 foot long bar. That seems too much dragging to me.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
Patrick of M
2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)

Default Re: Dragging Parking Brake with new Rotors and Shoes

There are 3 (maybe 4? Does the parking brake handle have an adjustement? Can’t remember) ways of adjusting the parking brake, forward to aft they are, the big cable balancer rig (basically removes/increases slack from the forward cable) balancer rig slack adjuster (removes/increas3s slack in the 2 rear cables) the brake shoes adjuster (sets brake shoe clearance).
If your shoes are dragging and the shoes are adjusted as clear as possible your cables are perhaps pulling them a bit closer. Usually the problem is the inverse. For starters make sure you have the shoe adjusters set the proper way, it is easy to get backwards. If there is still no clearance you can try setting the handbrake on hard over night, the cables (new?) may need a little stretching.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick of M For This Useful Post:
marklg (02-13-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
There are 3 (maybe 4? Does the parking brake handle have an adjustement? Canít remember) ways of adjusting the parking brake, forward to aft they are, the big cable balancer rig (basically removes/increases slack from the forward cable) balancer rig slack adjuster (removes/increas3s slack in the 2 rear cables) the brake shoes adjuster (sets brake shoe clearance).
If your shoes are dragging and the shoes are adjusted as clear as possible your cables are perhaps pulling them a bit closer. Usually the problem is the inverse. For starters make sure you have the shoe adjusters set the proper way, it is easy to get backwards. If there is still no clearance you can try setting the handbrake on hard over night, the cables (new?) may need a little stretching.
I found the other adjustments and the brake cable has no tension on it. The toothed wheel adjuster is all the way closed. I double checked that everything is the way it should go. The new shoes are obviously bigger, as they are not worn down, and the rotor is smaller inside, not worn down. The brake shoes are Myle and they do look slightly different than the originals but I can't really measure them.

I took the rotor back off, using my puller, and will try other stuff tomorrow. You can see clear wear on the inside of the rotor from the shoes where I was turning it.

Regards,

Mark
Old 02-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #4
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 5,327 Times in 3,336 Posts

Can you post a photo? Also you should measure your old rotors drum ID and compare it to the new rotor. The new rotor may be incorrectly sized.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
marklg (02-13-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
The Grand Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklg View Post
As part of my rear brake job, I am replacing rotors and parking brake shoes as well as the pads. After having a heck of a time getting the rotor off, see previous discussion of mine, I put the new brake shoes and rotor on.

The rotor just does go on, but it drags on the parking brake shoes. The adjuster is all the way closed and I even loosened the 4 bolts on the parking brake adjuster in the center of the van, but it is still dragging. I can just turn the wheel by hand with a 2 foot long bar. That seems too much dragging to me.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Mark
Where did you get the brake rotors, parking brake shoes, and brake pads from? I have seen countless out-of-spec aftermarket brake parts over the years...
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Grand Tour For This Useful Post:
marklg (02-13-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
Where did you get the brake rotors, parking brake shoes, and brake pads from? I have seen countless out-of-spec aftermarket brake parts over the years...
Rotors are Zimmermann from IDParts. Shoes are Myle from Europarts SD.

The old rotor drags too, so it is the pads. I will get out the micrometer and measure stuff tomorrow.

Regards,

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
The Grand Tour (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:14 PM   #7
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
Can you post a photo? Also you should measure your old rotors drum ID and compare it to the new rotor. The new rotor may be incorrectly sized.
Here are some pictures of the old and new shoes. The new shoes have a gap between them and the plate where the cable comes in. The old shoes touched the plate. I am not sure though if the metal part of the shoes are shorter or the part that mates with the cable mechanism is longer. I will try to measure tomorrow.

Regards,

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old_Adjuster.jpg (80.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Old_Cable.jpg (81.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg New_Adjuster.jpg (84.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg New_Cable.jpg (88.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:20 AM   #8
Zundfolge

Was gonna say, use a caliper to measure old and new shoe thicknesses, and that would give you a place to start to see if it's the shoes being a little too thick (vs an installation error). Couldn't find what spec is for shoe thickness doing just a quick search though.

Perhaps some more experienced on here could offer an explanation of why this might be a bad idea, but off the top of my head I'd suggest getting your hands on a few new belt sander belts, like some 3" x 21" belts - 80 and 150 grit - and cut it once so you have a 42"ish belt, and give it the old Big Lebowski bowling ball treatment. It shouldn't take removing very much material to get them to play nicely, and as long as your careful you should be able to sand pretty uniformly along the shoe surface.

Note: I would do this on my van, but it doesn't mean you should do it on yours. You may rather opt to order other shoes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zundfolge For This Useful Post:
marklg (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #9
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 5,327 Times in 3,336 Posts

if the new shoes are too thick, you can "arc" them. Glue some 100 grit sandpaper to the inside of the old rotor, and work the shoes against it until they are an acceptable thickness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
marklg (02-13-2019), Patrick of M (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 01:18 AM   #10
Patrick of M
2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)

Looking at your pics the new shoe is not sitting against the positioning block properly. If memory serves, the brake actuating /cam mechanism that the brake cable attaches to, is a little fussy/weird and it may be possible to put it in backwards/upside down/wrong. Maybe take a look at that? It has been a solid 16 months since I played with the rear brakes, but I do remember the actuating mechanism maybe me pause for a moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick of M For This Useful Post:
marklg (02-13-2019)