Register out of CA to avoid T21 recall - anyone?(wink)

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I recall the disproportionate number of large yachts sporting “Wilmington Delaware” on their transoms when I was sailing schooners back in the 1980’s. Perhaps tax laws should also figure into where one rents their P.O.Box?

I recall the disproportionate number of large yachts sporting “Wilmington Delaware” on their transoms when I was sailing schooners back in the 1980’s. Perhaps tax laws should also figure into where one rents their P.O.Box?
Documenting a vessel isn't always for dodging taxes.

"Documentation can also make it easier to travel up and down the coast of the US. Most states allow boats registered in other states to “visit” their waters for a period of time without obtaining registration. But if you plan to take your boat to another state for more than a couple of months, the state you’re visiting may want you to register there; unless you stay long enough to be considered a resident, documented vessels may avoid this fineable situation."

https://www.yachtworld.com/boat-content/2014/10/yacht-registration-vs-documentation/

But, back to the topic of vehicles, not vessels.

:cheers: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The back pages of many magazines aimed at retirees frequently include a number of ads offering registration of RVs in particularly friendly states. (also PO box addresses, etc)

--dick

The back pages of many magazines aimed at retirees frequently include a number of ads offering registration of RVs in particularly friendly states. (also PO box addresses, etc)

--dick
Those are probably for full-time RVers establishing a domicile, not for criminals committing tax crimes.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
In some cities/counties they will impound your vehicle at a traffic stop if it's registered in your name out-of-state, and you are a local resident. Though I'm not sure how that works given that many folks have dual residency. Of course the solution to this is to simply register in the name of a corporation.

... I propose to delete this thread^^
Why apply censorship to any thread unless it is truly out of line? There is information here that has value. If you don't like the replies just stop participating in this particular thread.

Last edited:

DRTDEVL

In some cities/counties they will impound your vehicle at a traffic stop if it's registered in your name out-of-state, and you are a local resident. Though I'm not sure how that works given that many folks have dual residency. Of course the solution to this is to simply register in the name of a corporation.
I don't see how that could be possible. I have my Sprinter registered here in NM, I have a TX driver's license, and my Classic Buick has North Dakota Permanent Pioneer Plates. They'd probably look at me all confused, but it is what it is.

The Buick doesn't need updating until ownership transfer (its registered to a PO Box)
The Sprinter (and my truck, trailer, RV, and motorcycle) are registered to my house in New Mexico.
My license has my legal residence on it in Texas, even though I stay in Las Cruces, NM.

I put my life on pause in order to get my degree, and I am only here in NM to attend New Mexico State University. As I am leaving immediately upon graduation, I don't have to transfer residency. This left me with the option for registering my vehicles, and its cheaper here than in TX, as well as not having annual emissions and safety inspections to pay for on top of it. As for the Buick, the ND Pioneer Plate is just their version of a classic/antique car plate and its not to be used as a daily driver. That car has seen probably 2500 miles on its odometer in the past decade-plus. Not exactly a tax-dodging piece of equipment, as it meets the requirements in every state (not daily driven, only to rallies, shows, or the occasional cruise to keep the seals fresh... never to work or school, and its 46 years old, to boot).

On top of that, for nearly my entire Army career, I was licensed in Tennessee and living in other states. The costs determined where I registered my vehicles... when I was in VA and FL, they strictly kept TN plates, but when I was in TX, it was cheaper and easier to register there.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I don't see how that could be possible. I have my Sprinter registered here in NM, I have a TX driver's license, and my Classic Buick has North Dakota Permanent Pioneer Plates. They'd probably look at me all confused, but it is what it is.

The Buick doesn't need updating until ownership transfer (its registered to a PO Box)
The Sprinter (and my truck, trailer, RV, and motorcycle) are registered to my house in New Mexico.
My license has my legal residence on it in Texas, even though I stay in Las Cruces, NM.

I put my life on pause in order to get my degree, and I am only here in NM to attend New Mexico State University. As I am leaving immediately upon graduation, I don't have to transfer residency. This left me with the option for registering my vehicles, and its cheaper here than in TX, as well as not having annual emissions and safety inspections to pay for on top of it. As for the Buick, the ND Pioneer Plate is just their version of a classic/antique car plate and its not to be used as a daily driver. That car has seen probably 2500 miles on its odometer in the past decade-plus. Not exactly a tax-dodging piece of equipment, as it meets the requirements in every state (not daily driven, only to rallies, shows, or the occasional cruise to keep the seals fresh... never to work or school, and its 46 years old, to boot).

On top of that, for nearly my entire Army career, I was licensed in Tennessee and living in other states. The costs determined where I registered my vehicles... when I was in VA and FL, they strictly kept TN plates, but when I was in TX, it was cheaper and easier to register there.

It generally is not enforced, but most states have some type of rule regarding registering and operating a vehicle in state if you're a resident there and the vehicle is primarily used in that state.

Some reading here.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr33

For example. When I first moved to Oklahoma I had to take a driving test. I showed up in my vehicle which was registered in Kansas. They refuse to let me take the test because as an Oklahoma resident operating the vehicle in Oklahoma I was required to transfer the registration within 30 days.

Part of the reason that California tends to crackdown on this is because they have higher than average registration and operation fees for motor vehicles. Before they had these laws in place people would often register the vehicle out-of-state with much lower fees. Thus depriving the state of critical road taxes.

Last edited:

From what I recall of the AAA synopsis link in my earlier post, most all States specifically exclude military personnel. College/university students are also often included.

As to the other factors.
There are regulations regarding residency, etc., but as MWD already mentioned, they aren't actively pursued. A simple traffic stop for a burned out licence plate lamp may awaken sleeping bureaucrats.

I skimmed the posts. Apologies if repeating.

DRTDEVL

Part of the reason that California tends to crackdown on this is because they have higher than average registration and operation fees for motor vehicles. Before they had these laws in place people would often register the vehicle out-of-state with much lower fees. Thus depriving the state of critical road taxes.
Higher than average is an understatement... they actually have a reward program for ratting out your neighbors for having out-of-state plates. Perhaps if they were to price their registration fees at a reasonable level there would be less incentive to cheat.

Example:

My Sprinter is $54/year in NM. In CA, it would be $219.

For a 2009 Ram 3500, it would be... $54 in NM. In CA, however, that same truck would be $575. And that's where the problems begin. When one can register for 10% of the price in one state compared to another, someone's fees are unreasonable.

Why apply censorship to any thread unless it is truly out of line? There is information here that has value. If you don't like the replies just stop participating in this particular thread.

Sure you da man! I am actually getting quite a bit of useful information here. But I thought this thread might go to The Danger Zone so I suggested. But if you think it is ok, I am all for it!

Last edited:

Top Bottom