Preventive Maintenance Items - Sensors

Hi All,

Would you say camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor are preventive maintenance items or just spare parts to carry? I never changed them in my 2004 T1N and was wondering if changing them would be a good idea and carry the old ones as spares. Both are currently working fine. Or just carry the new ones as spares. What are your thoughts?

Woodythesprinter

Sensors are not preventive maintenance but you definitely want to be able the remove the crankshaft position sensor BEFORE it fails. They can be hard to get out of the hole and It got me stranded in a bad spot trying to get it out. I started a thread about how to remove it the easy way if it is stuck. After that, just keep a pair of 1 cam and crank sensor and you are good to go.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
I agree with woody.. not prev maintenance items but if a crank sensor fails and you’ve never swapped one it can be a pain in the butt. Also, OEM only on the sensors. No autozone Chinese or the like sensors...

Since some time in 2008 I've carried too many sensors just in case. Some I have swapped in just to test. Others are still untouched. Not one has been needed to date to keep on traveling... to avoid jinxing myself knock/touch wood. :bash:

If you have the sensors and are inclined to put in the time, swap in the new unit and carry the removed as your spare. That way you know that both are the properly working parts.

I don't have the thread link, but there's information out there about removing a spot welded and glued floor tunnel panel for easier access to the Crankshaft Position Sensor CKP. Worth keeping in mind if stuck.

:cheers: vic

Added:
It was Woodythesprinter.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70135

Last edited:
Sensors are not preventive maintenance but you definitely want to be able the remove the crankshaft position sensor BEFORE it fails. They can be hard to get out of the hole and It got me stranded in a bad spot trying to get it out. I started a thread about how to remove it the easy way if it is stuck. After that, just keep a pair of 1 cam and crank sensor and you are good to go.
Thank you! I found your thread below.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70135

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Do you have a schedule for preventative replacement of the light bulbs in your house? :smilewink:
When's the last time a light bulb went out in your house and stranded you 137 miles from the nearest auto parts store?

I carry spares of almost everything I can think of but need to add those two sensors to my traveling toolbox. Thanks for the reminder.

When's the last time a light bulb went out in your house and stranded you 137 miles from the nearest auto parts store?

I carry spares of almost everything I can think of but need to add those two sensors to my traveling toolbox. Thanks for the reminder.
I never said there was anything wrong with carrying spare parts.

The OP's question was whether he should replace sensors as preventative maintenance, to which the obvious answer is "no". :thumbup:

D

Deleted member 50714

Yuuuuup, "Be Prepared." Not intending to disparage my wonderful wife, but she's always asking me, "Should I bring a jacket?" My standard response is, "Yes" (while thinking to myself, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it).

Nox

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Good point. Does anyone know the median point of failure of the Crank sensor?
Or know the standard deviation of early/late failures?
We could just swap them every few years and never see a failure, but is there data to suggest when preemptive replacement is recommended?
(fwiw I’ve got a lovely little box of spares (and a jacket!) that has now traveled coast to coast in the back of my van... 30,000 trouble free miles)

(fwiw I’ve got a lovely little box of spares (and a jacket!) that has now traveled coast to coast in the back of my van... 30,000 trouble free miles)
I can beat that.

Probably 8 years and 150,000+ miles carrying spares trouble free. Many of those miles included loaded with gear and towing our sailboat.

I ain't got no jacket yet though. :rolleyes:

As to sensor failure rates...
Many of the sensors are based upon tried and true older designs. The sensor basic design is generally very reliable. In my opinion the wildcard is manufacturing design/tolerances and possibly unusual operating conditions related to the environment Eg - cooling issues, voltages being out of spec, excessive mechanical stress (crash), etc.

If there was enough failure history/data for Mother Mercedes to justify recommended periodic sensor replacement, I'm pretty certain that your owner manual would have a schedule outlining when you need to get a dealership to do the service procedure.

:cheers: vic

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I agree completely.
(My spares and scanner are carried as a talisman... the jacket gets occasional use. ;-)

lindenengineering

Yuuuuup, "Be Prepared." Not intending to disparage my wonderful wife, but she's always asking me, "Should I bring a jacket?" My standard response is, "Yes" (while thinking to myself, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it).

Nox
One thing associated with a jacket!
If you live in Colorado its a permanent fixture in your car & that includes a hat and gloves.
Not so with sensors, unless you drive certain vehicles!
Ford F & E platforms with a 7,3 Powerstroke engine--A cam sensor.
A Landrover Discovery 2 crank sensor if you are nearing 90,000 mile service intervals.
I could I suppose write a list about various sensors on some vehicles that are prone to failure due to some operating/environmental conditions.

On a T1N the failure rate is very low and uncertain IF you use genuine parts.
One thing is certain though. If growing corrosion is present inside the engine block where it sits, it will get squeezed to death/failure. Then in any case its removal becomes a 6 hour minimum chore with shop level tools/equipment.
Not something to do/contemplate even out the back of a Walmart parking lot.
Dennis

Top Bottom