• droning

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • none

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • all 3

Votes: 44 25.1%

• Total voters

zither99

My 2015 with 55,000km on the odometer is getting a new front diff. The noise turned into a vibration I was able to feel. We shall see how it is when the new part is in. I’m happy to hear they will order the part.

SOLBRTs

New 2017 4x4 developed the dreaded clunk at just under 800 miles. Very loud clunk shifting into D or R and during the auto downshift to 1st. Inspected the drive train and discovered that what sounded like a clunk at the rear differential was actually a clunk at the transfer case end. Checked this forum and learned of the “green Loctite” TSB (Thanks everyone!).

Took it to a dealer I had success with in the past. TSB performed, clunk disappeared for about 8 miles and then returned.

Checked in with another local dealer and was cleared to continue driving until my appointment with them. They reinspected the van discovered that only half the TSB had been performed by the first dealer. Complete TSB performed and no clunk returned.

Both dealers told me that driving the van until the TSB was completed was acceptable. As a former motorcycle mechanic, I cannot envision any scenario what the drive train hammering back and forth that I was feeling was not having some effect, so it was essentially parked for almost 4 weeks.

Current status: No clunk for almost 2 months, however, the auto downshift from 2nd to 1st is brutal. Less noticeable the harder I drive the van as the shift occurs after stopping not while slowing. Probably unrelated but resolving the first issue allowed me to notice the second. Will have to address it with the dealer in the next few weeks.

Mine clunks when downshifting into 1st gear. The transmission also freaks out from time to time - hard shifting from 1st to 3rd/4th with a clunk. Mercedes in Victoria BC says they cant find anything wrong with it though.. They did replace the tranny aparently - which didnt remedy the issue.
Mine occasionally does the exact same thing. Drove a friends and his is super smooth. Seems to be a variance.

I've been having a (perhaps slightly different) clunk experience in our '17 4x4. It would only happen when in 4wd, either when taking off from a stop, or coming to a stop and very low speeds.

The clunk started a couple thousand miles ago, and when I took it into the dealer (Spokane, WA) for its 20,000 mile service yesterday, they ordered a new transfer case.

I have a strong suspicion we might get our money's worth out of our 125K/5yr warranty. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what an out-of-warranty transfer case replacement would cost?

A good service experience so far, though our 20K maintenance, ECU update and diagnosing the clunk did take a solid 5-hours at the dealership, which seems excessive.

Silveringot

8 Grit Sandpaper
Mine definitely clunks on acceleration and deceleration at low speeds. But also exhibits a vibration in the seats between 40-50mph. Vibration is less so when weight is in the back(300lbs of sand). Likely incorrect angle of driveshaft. Scheduled with local MB dealer(Indianapolis) on Monday, but they have never heard of these issues before so I am not too optimistic. 2017 144 4x4 Cargo converted through Explorer(not my favorite upfitter).

Silveringot

8 Grit Sandpaper
New front diff and rear driveshaft ordered, hopefully be installed Friday. Crossing my fingers, but at least I am getting results from a dealership that told me they had never heard of these issues.

New 2017 4x4 developed the dreaded clunk at just under 800 miles. Very loud clunk shifting into D or R and during the auto downshift to 1st. Inspected the drive train and discovered that what sounded like a clunk at the rear differential was actually a clunk at the transfer case end. Checked this forum and learned of the “green Loctite” TSB (Thanks everyone!).

Took it to a dealer I had success with in the past. TSB performed, clunk disappeared for about 8 miles and then returned.

Checked in with another local dealer and was cleared to continue driving until my appointment with them. They reinspected the van discovered that only half the TSB had been performed by the first dealer. Complete TSB performed and no clunk returned.

Both dealers told me that driving the van until the TSB was completed was acceptable. As a former motorcycle mechanic, I cannot envision any scenario what the drive train hammering back and forth that I was feeling was not having some effect, so it was essentially parked for almost 4 weeks.

Current status: No clunk for almost 2 months, however, the auto downshift from 2nd to 1st is brutal. Less noticeable the harder I drive the van as the shift occurs after stopping not while slowing. Probably unrelated but resolving the first issue allowed me to notice the second. Will have to address it with the dealer in the next few weeks.
Due keep us posted as this is exactly what my van is doing...

SOLBRTs

Still no clunk when shifting into D or R but the downshift into 1st rolling up to a stop continues to be harsh. If I come to a stop hot, stopping in 2nd before the auto downshift to first it does not happen but in stop and go and city traffic it’s driving me crazy. My 2011 did not do this.

mcguyver

Thanks for posting this. I just picked up a 2012 cd316 3wd I ahve all 3 and you have put my mind at rest that noises are all relatively normal. Which watch this thread with interest for any fixes.

Our vehicle droning noise saga. Have 2015 4x4 170 with 34k miles with purchased extended warranty. The droning noise was getting worse with more mileage driven. Took the Sprinter into MB Westminster for the droning noise and they stated it was my tires – I have Brigestone Dueler A/T 245/75 R16 with about 18k on them. We did a trip to Vancouver Island, BC this fall and put on about 5k miles and droning noise got worse as the miles grew. I know what tire noise is and this droning noise was not related to the tires. I took the Van to Linden Engineering in Golden, Co. for a 3rd party inspection. After a test drive their team said you have tire noise but what your real problem is that your drive shaft carrier bearings. In further inspection the carrier bearings are out of align. See pictures no 1 and 2. They have a good working relationship with MB Littleton – Rory Christopher and he made time that day for and inspection and did confirm the carrier bearings are out of align. They did put bearings in proper alignment. See pictures 3 and 4. But the droning noise was worse than ever before, which made sense due to the mileage on the bearings being misaligned. The Van needed winterization before it could go back to MB Littleton for next step and they confirmed this am that the carrier bearings and drive shaft were the problem and are being replaced under warranty. I will keep all informed how this goes. Out of all this I can’t say enough about Dennis and his team at Linden Engineering and MB Littleton Service group especially Rory. As for MB Westminster you can make decision.

Attachments

staticharry

I just had the locktite fix performed at 1,400 miles, and no more clunking.

I also tried to have the passenger spec leaf springs installed, since the van vibrates in the seats between 45-55mph, but the dealer said it may be due to the A/T tires installed. In order to confirm the issue, they requested I put back the original tires and then bring it in for another diagnosis.

staticharry

I just had the locktite fix performed at 1,400 miles, and no more clunking.

I also tried to have the passenger spec leaf springs installed, since the van vibrates in the seats between 45-55mph, but the dealer said it may be due to the A/T tires installed. In order to confirm the issue, they requested I put back the original tires and then bring it in for another diagnosis.
Passenger spec leaf springs with the vibration dampener were installed. To my surprise, van still vibrates per the dealer. Drivetrain test is likely next.

Speyer

First post! So, I’ve got a 2018 4x4 with a distinct “clank”. I just finished reading this thread and I’m not sure my clank is the same as the drivetrain “clunk” everyone else describes. It’s more like someone is hitting my axel with a ball pien hammer! Just a loud metal on metal clank sound with little or no vibration or clunk. Thing is... it’s VERY LOUD! Just like you’d imagine needing ear protection hammering on an axel. :bash:

It does not seem to happen when shifting gears at all.. but mostly happens anytime the vehicle lunges forward. Particularly if I’m going downhill with assist , and then give it gas- clank! And it will do it consistently, over and over when you gun it. Clank, clank, clank all day long.

Obviously I’m going to take it in to MB bit before I do... I thought best to see if anyone else has experienced this? Hoping I can give MB some direction when I drop it off! Other than this... great Van and I’m loving it.

Vantime

I have a 2018 2500 4x4 170 and it exhibited the deep droning noise under load around 2200 rpms both with factory tires and aftermarket. I just installed vancompasses stage 4 suspension upgrade and the droning noise appears to be completely eliminated. This kit included three additional leaf springs added to the two factory springs, which I assume eliminated whatever resonance was occurring.

Top Bottom