Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
oneworldunited

Default Negotiating Price on a Sprinter

Hi Everyone,

I am just curious how many people were able to negotiate on their purchases of new Sprinter Vans. How much did you negotiate the price down?

Also for those of you who have bought from Sportsmobile, are their prices completely firm or is there any room to negotiate with them?
I can only imagine that with the recession that almost any place you go, including Sportsmobile, they would be willing to haggle at least some what on price.

Lastly, would it be cheaper to go buy my own sprinter van and then have Sportsmobile convert it or to just buy everything through them?

thanks as always for the insight
oneworldunited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
SprinterSales

Default Re: Negotiating Price on a Sprinter

I can't speak for the Sprinter conversions but if you're in the market for a cargo or passenger van, there just isn't much negotiating going on. We are quoting them at rock bottom prices to get rid of them. As of yet, we are not willing to take a loss. Most of our quotes these days are maybe invoice plus $500.00, unless the truck is something unique and we quote it a bit higher.
SprinterSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
oneworldunited

Thanks SprinterSales. I see that you are up in Portland. I am actually from the Salem are, but I have been living down in LA for the last few years since there wasn't much work up there. What is the depreciation on Sprinters? I have found online some that are just a couple years old and they seem to have lost 40-50% of their value. Is this normal?
oneworldunited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,842 Times in 842 Posts

I got my T1N for $300 over invoice in 2005.

I would compare the total price of a van from a dealer vs one from Sportsmobile. Hopefully Sportsmobile will itemize their options including the van. I'm guessing the pricing would be a wash (on the van only), but that's just a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworldunited View Post
What is the depreciation on Sprinters? I have found online some that are just a couple years old and they seem to have lost 40-50% of their value. Is this normal?
Really? Do you have a link?

Only thing I've found that was 40-50% is this one...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1176890570.html

Too bad there's no pics.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
SprinterSales

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworldunited View Post
Thanks SprinterSales. I see that you are up in Portland. I am actually from the Salem are, but I have been living down in LA for the last few years since there wasn't much work up there. What is the depreciation on Sprinters? I have found online some that are just a couple years old and they seem to have lost 40-50% of their value. Is this normal?
We're just starting to get a handle on used pricing. Like most vehicles, they depreciate rapidly for the first few years and then level out. For example, we recently sold a couple of used, one a 2002 with 128,000 miles, and an '03 with about 180,000 miles. In each case, we sold these trucks for around $14-15,000., or for about 50% of their original sales price. They sold very quickly too. What would a 2003 Ford van with 180K on it be worth? I watch Craigslist and it's amazing to me the variances I see in pricing. Some way too low, others pretty high.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
SprinterSales

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwan View Post
I got my T1N for $300 over invoice in 2005.

I would compare the total price of a van from a dealer vs one from Sportsmobile. Hopefully Sportsmobile will itemize their options including the van. I'm guessing the pricing would be a wash (on the van only), but that's just a guess.

Really? Do you have a link?

Only thing I've found that was 40-50% is this one...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1176890570.html

Too bad there's no pics.
That truck sounds kind of rough but $14,000. for an '05 with 90K sounds like a good deal.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
caedmon

fwiw, I've seen a local dealer who's sitting on over 50 2008 sprinters advertising them up to 10k below msrp.
caedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #8
rockysquirrel

In November and December 2008, dealers were advertising up to $9000 off sticker. This was a combination of the discount off MSRP, cash rebate, and the dealer's stair/step incentive. Other than discounting off of MSRP which is approx $3400 minimum (plus options), the additional rebates and incentives went away on January 1, 2009 and never returned.
rockysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
caedmon

The story I heard from a different local dealer in early April was that there had been some dealer incentives which went away around the end of March. And the discounts I saw advertised here decreased around that time. But they're back. I don't know if there are new dealer incentives or the like, or if it's just the dealer(s) deciding they want to get rid of these vehicles now.
caedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
SprinterSales

There are no Daimler incentives currently in effect. The deal is......the Dodge Sprinter dealers are being told they have to pay off their trucks if they have them financed through Chrysler. I'm reading that they have until June 12th. If they don't, Chrysler will repo them and put them through the auction. The dealer would then have to make up any difference. A local Dodge dealer is saying this may put them into BK7.

If you EVER thought about buying a new Sprinter, there wil never be a better time. The Dodge dealer I mentioned is advertising $10,000. off MSRP. Depending on the truck, this is around $7k below invoice. Taking into account the holdback, the dealer is willing to take an approximate $5,500. true loss on every truck, not counting the flooring already paid. These are tough times.