Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 09-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 3,143 Times in 1,880 Posts
Default Re: DANGER ALERT - OBD Insurance Monitors

The circumstantial evidence seems to be strong, but hard to believe that the device would actually try to write anything back to the vehicle..?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
Rensho

I've had the Progressive ODB plug in mine for 5 months. No issues to report. Just sent it back to them. Got a 8% discount for using it.
Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #13
Ivessm
2005 140 HighTop Pass

Rensho,

Was that 8% discount an overall discount or just a discount on certain coverage's. I'll bet it was just a discount on certain coverage's rather than over all.

For you benefit I hope it was over-all.

stew

stew
2014 Long/Tall BLACK Passenger Sprinter, 4cyl/7spd
Ivessm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ivessm For This Useful Post:
dieseljeeper (08-19-2017)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #14
Rensho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivessm View Post
Rensho,

Was that 8% discount an overall discount or just a discount on certain coverage's. I'll bet it was just a discount on certain coverage's rather than over all.

For you benefit I hope it was over-all.

stew
I had one for this and one for the Audi a4. I got 8% off total rate for van, and 9% for the audi.

The audi we hardly drove, and the van we put 8000mi in 3 months.
Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
K-9 SPRINTER

Thanked 1,404 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
P.S
In fact insurance companys are getting a bit too big for their breaches!
Recently an aqaintance told me he signed up for some new household property insurance and the said insurance company did a surprise un-announced physical inspection of the said property.
Because he has a wrecking yard he just happened to have his vicious yard dog in the back yard all pissed off having had some sort of vet surgery under sedation. The bloke walked into the back yard only to be attacked --yes by the junk yard dog getting over the the drugs to keep it sedated.---Well guess what??? They cancelled is policy and now he can't get coverage by anyone! Surpise surprise!
Dennis
Good for the insurance company. Why should the insurance company be liable, due to the negligence of the owner of the vicious, uncontained dog. What if a young child had strolled in unannounced ?

also... its idiots like that owner, that get breeds like bulldogs, rottweilers, pits, dobermanns and other breeds, bad names and banned on other peoples homeowners insurance policies
Conversion by Sportsmobile(Texas) to a RV/kennel ... Full Kitchen, 50 gal fresh/25 black/25 gray ,15000 btu 110 AC, 32000/BTU rear AC w/engine driven compressor, maxx air vent, D4 espar, marine toilet, shower, 5-8D batteries, Powertec generator, solar panels, in motion satellite tv, side/front/rear cam system, running boards, custom outside led lights,
Alcoa wheels

Last edited by K-9 SPRINTER; 12-09-2014 at 01:16 PM.
K-9 SPRINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #16
johnshmit

Thanked 1,221 Times in 843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The circumstantial evidence seems to be strong, but hard to believe that the device would actually try to write anything back to the vehicle..?
In order to read something, device has to negotiate a protocol and send a pid. That is writing.
Some protocols have 0-12v levels, some 0-5v. If stupid device continuously trying to use ISO 9141-2 0-12v over CAN 0-5v to get a speed and don't take no as an answer, it will eventually overheat and burn poor thing.
johnshmit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnshmit For This Useful Post:
Nate.evans (07-31-2019)
Old 03-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #17
Premier Sprinter
Premier Sprinter

Almost every fleet that I have maintained has had OBD GPS systems. The only one which had any problems were the ones which had them wired directly into the K40/SAM. They were using low amperage signaling wires to perform functions in the alarm portion of the unit. The SAM was getting crossed signals and strange things happened. The ABS module took the biggest hit. At first, it seemed fried as it would not take software. After SCN coding the EZS to relearn it's build specs, all affected modules took new software and functioned fine after removing the alarm/gps units. The biggest give away that this problem was going on was an ABS and traction control light which would come on at random, including coming on for 10-15 seconds after every time you cleared faults. I can't remember the exact faults that came up but I know that some were for variant coding.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #18
Landyacht

Love the dog stories but I'll ease us back on topic ....... I resent the whole insc co bamboozle of a full-time driving monitor and suspect that, as was stated, their reader/transmitters are not designed to function perfectly on EVERY car out there.

Considering that, should I be concerned about my OBD port or electronical dash wonderment and ECM if I leave my full-time blue-tooth OBD reader plugged in for my Android realtime Torque app??

The set of completely incompetent gauges in this '08 Sprinter cab has been one of my MAJOR gripes that the Torque display seems to solve really well. I had a ScanII that was also a permanent plug-in unit but these Torque app gauges on my dash mounted 7"tablet are light years better in graphics, versatility and detail. Please don't send me back to the land of idiot lights for gauges but I need to protect my fussy d**! Sprinter at all costs.

Thanks, Mike
'08 Dodge/MB Sprinter OM642 3500 chassis w/57k mi carrying a 2010 Winnebago Navion K body. 7" android tablet w b/t OBD Torque app for realtime gauge display. Dually tire valve stems. m/v TikiHut Sarasota, Fl
Landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #19
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,257 Times in 9,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyacht View Post

Considering that, should I be concerned about my OBD port or electronical dash wonderment and ECM if I leave my full-time blue-tooth OBD reader plugged in for my Android realtime Torque app??

Thanks, Mike
The published literature by Mercedes regarding aftermarket OBDII monitor units is to absolutely not use them at all.

That said, there are are many members who leave their Scangauge II, Ultrgauage, and other aftermarket performance monitor devices plugged in all the time. I don't recall many (any?) threads here blaming that habit for damage to the modules. Added: Except for the insurance monitors in this thread.

Personally I would never leave any aftermarket performance monitor device plugged in if taking the vehicle in for dealership service. It might evoke a response similar to waving a red flag (or any other color) in front of a bull. Once they log that fact into your vehicle service history... Please, not on my permanent record!... it may be used against you in the future as to warranty issues.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
angolaron (06-11-2015), Ciprian (06-10-2015), CM Krystal (05-03-2019), skwoodwiva (02-07-2019)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #20
MCOSprinter

As far as what exactly these units do. It's a tiny tracker that uses gps and cell towers to transmit data of your location. It's big brother selling your habits for a profit. I'll pass.
MCOSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote