Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 11-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #61
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,510 Times in 1,709 Posts
Default Re: 2014 4cyl. economy

Do these have a smaller fuel tank than the T1N? I typically get 550-600 miles before low fuel light comes on.
surlyoldbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #62
sailquik

Thanked 5,530 Times in 3,356 Posts

surlyoldbill,
Nope.....same 100 liter tank (26.41721 US Gallons).
However I think that the remaining fuel (the "reserve" if you like) left in the tank is a bit more in the NCV3's than what I remember from my '06 T1N 3500.
On my 2014 516 (3500) OM-651 4 cylinder dual stage turbo with the 7 speed (7G-Tronic) auto trans, the Reserve fuel light comes on @ ~75 liters (19.8 gallons).
That leaves the last 25 liters (1/4 of a tank) as the "reserve"!
I'm working on pushing that further and further, and the fuel light is now coming on @=> 520 miles.
I can easily go another 100-120 miles on the reserve with little or no chance of running the tank dry.
Yours is significantly lighter and I'll bet you have the 3.73:1 rear gear.....right?
I have a 170" wb 516 (3500 in the USA) with the 4.182:1 rear gear, but I'm getting closer to a consistent 25 MPG as things wear in and I learn how to drive this new little beasty.
Very different from the 2012 with the OM-642 V6.
Roger
Suspension Seats, Active Safety Package +, Parktronic, OEM Hitch/wiring
OEM back up camera, Bi Xenon light package, fog lamps, headlight washers.
Had 2006 T1N 3500/158|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170

Last edited by sailquik; 11-23-2013 at 07:43 PM.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #63
MintySprinty

Is there any special procedure with these 2L diesels if you run out of fuel? IOW, is it self-priming (just pour more fuel in and turn the key), or something more elaborate, like breaking out a wrench and loosening injectors to purge air? The purging thing alone (at least used to) turn some people away from diesels, or mechanically disinclined people lived in constant fear of it, made worse by diesel fuel being much more difficult to find in the 1980s.

Sailquik I've really appreciated your detailed posts and info. One nice thing you do I wish everyone would do, if you identify your year and model when it's relevant. A lot of ppl make comments on their own vehicle don't even make clear if they have a 5 or 6 cyl.

I really hope to see some "Sailquik-quality" info coming in from OM651 owners with the standard roof and length, to see what the best-case scenario is. I have to admit, this thread is what brought me to the forum in a web search. I suspect I'm not alone.
MintySprinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #64
sailquik

MintySprinty,
It's still not good to run the modern diesels out of fuel.
It's very hard on the high pressure mechanical fuel pumps that supply pressure to the fuel rail (>20,000 PSI @ max. throttle max flow)
to have them run dry.....ever!
Since 2004, all Sprinters have had an electric "booster" pump in the fuel tank that supplies fresh fuel from the tank, through the fuel filter to the cam driven fuel pump on the front of the engine.
So, no need to be cracking fittings and lines to prime them. Actually this is VERY dangerous as the fuel pressure needs to be > 3000 PSI just to trip the low fuel pressure switch to allow the engine to start.
A jet of fuel from a cracked fitting, @ 3,000 PSI can do a lot of damage to a finger/arm/ or anything that gets near it.
If it doesn't cut you seriously, just the jet hitting your skin can drive diesel under your skin.
So, no worries with priming after 2004 unless the electric fuel pump in the tank has failed. The booster pump puts out 60-85 PSI just to push fuel through the fuel filter and on to the high pressure pump.
'02-'03 Sprinters did not have the booster pump, and frequently have fuel supply issues as the low pressure pump is high up on the front of the engine and must pull a significant vacuum to get fuel from the tank that's 2-3 feet lower and 4-5 feet away horizontally with the fuel filter in the middle.
Roger

Last edited by sailquik; 11-28-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #65
MintySprinty

Thanks for the info! So what kind of fuel filters are on these now anyway (micron rating & physical style)? I know more modern diesels are getting lower and lower micron-rating filters as they get higher and higher pressure.

I also read stories about how things which SHOULD be easy/routine, being ridiculously difficult, in particular changing the fuel and oil filters for the 6cyl. I never learned exactly why it was so difficult, but would like to know. But even more, I'd like to know if those tasks have been made easy again for the Everyman non-mechanic on the well-received and supposedly thoughtfully-designed 2L. And whether there is something like a mileage alert (and hopefully a soft not hard one) only a dealer can "reset" after this maintenance?

I know it's a bit off-thread, but it's a bump while we're waiting for more MPG posts to roll in and as long as we're talking about 2014's, 4cyl's, and fuel....
Old 11-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #66
bobojay

Owners can easily reset the maintenance reminder. Several threads and YouTube video links are on this forum. The fuel filter change on these V6's was made easier in the 2011 & up units with the DEF fluid. It helped open up the engine compartment some because some of the emissions equipment was moved or eliminated. The issue now with the fuel filters, at least on the V6 is cost, from mid-2012 on, they cost in the $100.00 plus range as the water sensor is now a permanent part of the filters, so you get a new sensor with every filter.
The oil filter & oil change on these V6's is a piece of cake. Easiest I've ever done, and I've worked on cars/trucks since I was 16 doing my own.
Now as far as the new 4cyl, someone with one will have to chime in on them
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #67
MintySprinty

I could've sworn I read a forum post with a guy (with a 6cyl, I think) complaining that there was no way of changing his oil filter without spilling oil all over his engine compartment. No truth to that?

The main complaints I've read about older Sprinters were rotors wearing out too fast, rust all over, and simple/minor things being difficult/expensive. Later ones I've seen complaints of EGR problems (unit was later redesigned, I read) and dangerous, unnecessary Limp Home Mode, famously in a case where a Benz ambulance 'broke down' during an emergency call due to an emissions problem detection, and the person DIED. They had to call another ambulance, but it was too late. So, this is at least one recorded death as a result of what I think was unexpected Limp Home Mode just over freaking emissions. I've read on this forum and in reviews of other Benz diesel models, a couple brushes with death as a result of LHM. Someday, somewhere this is going to cause a crash w/1 or more deaths, and the politicians are just gonna shrug. And maybe secretly be happy there's one less diesel-driving 'redneck' and one less diesel vehicle.. Two birds with one Limp Home.

So do these fuel filters just have water 'sensors', or actual separators? I'm assuming this is a spin-on affair?

Is the oil filter spin-on too, or is it old-school Mercedes style with a permanent canister and replaceable element? After seeing how it was done in the old Benzes, I found spin-on oil filters to be wasteful. I now see some new, advanced engines like Ecotec being designed with replaceable elements.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #68
sailquik

MintySprinty,
Hadn't heard about the ambulance with LHM and someone died as a result.
Can you document where you read that? I'd like to see it.
The 2010 and later NCV3 OM-642 engines have had some EGR issues, DPF issues, SCR/DEF issues, but in most cases it's due to how the vehicles are driven and not paying attention to using the best or even approved fluids and parts.
I'm on 4th NCV3 and I've never had any of these issues.
They are maintained at an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter Commercial dealer, the prices I pay for maintenance are not significantly more than I would pay of any similar size commercial vehicle.
The later fuel filters only come in one flavor with the water separator and sensor. There is a drain for the water, so when the WIF (Water In Fuel) light comes on you are supposed to be able to drain it off.
As far as the oil filter dumping all over the engine....that's just crazy and indicates someone who knows nothing about changing oil filters.
You get the engine up to full operating temp (to thin the oil and suspend all the particulates in the oil.
They you either suck the oil out the dipstick tube or remove the oil pan drain plug.
All the oil (~13 quarts) drains out taking a lot of particulates with it .
After a few minutes, you use the special 14 flat oil filter canister socket to carefully unscrew the plastic oil filter cover/canister.
The filter usually comes out in the canister as it's retained by 2 O-rings.
There is a small amount of oil left down in the oil filter adapter that bolts on the side of the engine. You mop this out with a clean lint free shop towel (good quality paper towels work as well).
Then you remove and throw away the filter cartridge (it's just a filter element....not a screw on) and replace the filter element and the 2 O-rings (being sure to get them into the correct O-ring grooves in the canister.
Screw the canister with the new filter and O-rings back into place.
Use the special 14 flat oil filter housing socket and torque the canister back into place. I believe the torque value
is molded into the top of the filter housing/canister
Put the drain plug (if removed) back in the oil pan.
Refill with about 12 quarts of oil.
Start the engine and check for leaks.
Shut the engine off after about 5 min.
Let the oil drain back to the pan for an additional 5 minutes (at least).
Check the oil level with the dipstick.
Add a little more oil (maybe 1/2 quart or slightly more) to bring the oil level (HOT with a red handle dipstick) up to just below the full
mark.
Better to stay a little under filled than too much as these engines have a high oil limit, and if you over fill you will get nice "greeting" that says "HI" on your dashboard....meaning.... you put too much oil back into the engine you dummy!
Good maintenance, and using the best fluids has worked for me and all of my NCV3's have been totally reliable.
I did have to get a jump in an airport parking lot once after a 10 day trip out of the country because I left something plugged into the 12 VDC socket that drained the battery. I was the dummy on that incident!
Roger

Last edited by sailquik; 11-28-2013 at 01:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailquik For This Useful Post:
MintySprinty (11-30-2013), TooMuchHair (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #69
bobojay

When pulling that oil filter out, all you have to do is put a few paper towels around the filter housing to keep from being a mess as you pull the cap & filter out. Very simple total job as I stated earlier
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #70
MintySprinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailquik View Post
MintySprinty,
Hadn't heard about the ambulance with LHM and someone died as a result.
Can you document where you read that? I'd like to see it.
I opened a new thread for it here:
EPA Regs Kill Ambulance Patient in a Sprinter
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=269759

Thanks Roger and bobojay for that wisdom on filter replacements. I can pretty much guarantee you that info is going to come up in search engines and be helpful to multiple people, even if it's not in its own thread. That's how I found this place. Speaking of which: with the search terms I used to find the ambulance articles, this thread (with just me mentioning the event) is coming up #7 in Google's results.

Tags
4 cylinder sprinter, buses, fuel economy, sprinter