Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 11-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,530 Times in 697 Posts
Default Bad torque wrench readings

I had suspicions that my no-name 3/8 click torque wrench was not correct after some damage to the van that should not have happened if.... .

So after the fact I tested it on my bench. Allegedly the range is from 10 in/lb to 800 in/lb (0.8 ft/lb to 66.7 ft/lb).

Capture.JPG
When I adjusted the adjustment screw for accuracy at 10.5 ft/lb, the reading for 39.55ft/lb was 56.25ft/lb.

Time for a new torque wrench. While I have not done it yet, I think I will look for one that has a narrower range of values, and not a no-name.

My last job I used a torsion torque wrench which was both easier and quicker to test its calibration, even it its exactness was not equal to what a "click" might be.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,671 Times in 5,425 Posts
Default Re: Bad torque wrench readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpierce View Post
I had suspicions that my no-name 3/8 click torque wrench was not correct after some damage to the van that should not have happened if.... .

So after the fact I tested it on my bench. Allegedly the range is from 10 in/lb to 800 in/lb (0.8 ft/lb to 66.7 ft/lb).

Attachment 120988
When I adjusted the adjustment screw for accuracy at 10.5 ft/lb, the reading for 39.55ft/lb was 56.25ft/lb.

Time for a new torque wrench. While I have not done it yet, I think I will look for one that has a narrower range of values, and not a no-name.

My last job I used a torsion torque wrench which was both easier and quicker to test its calibration, even it its exactness was not equal to what a "click" might be.
For professional reasoning I send all my torque wrenches out for industry recognized industry written certification. Cost is between $85 to $105 per test/certification.
Dennis
lindenengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
hkpierce (11-10-2019), VanGoSki (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
rollerbearing

It's also easy to check yourself if you have a vise and a luggage scale.

Clamp the square drive in the vise (rotational axis vertical). Measure the distance to the center of the handle (in feet for ft lbs). Hook the luggage scale over the handle at the center (the same spot you measured to) and pull perpendicularly. Note the luggage scale reading when wrench clicks.

Distance in feet times scale reading in lbs = ft lbs torque

https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-777...6-c77c2419e221

They also have strain gauge digital luggage scales for not much more.

You can check the scale by weighing something with it - 5 gallons of water - some other object you know the weight of - something you confirmed on a bathroom scale etc.

Not NIST level but a whole lot better than nothing. I usually always check mine before working on something important. I don't bother when I use it for lugs nuts etc.

Last edited by rollerbearing; 11-10-2019 at 09:33 PM.
rollerbearing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
Larry M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
For professional reasoning I send all my torque wrenches out for industry recognized industry written certification. Cost is between $85 to $105 per test/certification.
Dennis
Cheap considering the consequences. Is there one brand that has has been more accurate out of the box than others?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry M For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 AM   #5
lindenengineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Cheap considering the consequences. Is there one brand that has has been more accurate out of the box than others?
No!
In fact I have always swearn by Snap On & made in the USA, BUT, someone gave me a clone Snap On like wrench made in China.
Believable or not it has been the most consistent and reliable for years.
Makes you think again when you get surprises like this.
Dennis
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Larry M (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #6
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
No!
In fact I have always swearn by Snap On & made in the USA, BUT, someone gave me a clone Snap On like wrench made in China.
Believable or not it has been the most consistent and reliable for years.
Makes you think again when you get surprises like this.
Dennis
I've now seen two separate tests comparing a Snap On and Harbor Freight wrench (the high-line Icon models, not the $12.99 job) and in both cases the HF unit was both more accurate and more consistent. One of the tests also had a tear-down comparison and the HF seemed at least the equal of the Snap On, at least visually, so while one could speculate that 'the Snap On lasts longer in pro service' I'm not sure what objective evidence there is to back that up.

It's a changing world. There will always be China junk of course, but they are also very successfully performing manned space missions and landing rover probes on the dark side of moon so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Chinese technology. As an aside, I wonder what brand torque wrenches they use?

Last edited by smiller; 11-11-2019 at 01:24 AM.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smiller For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (11-11-2019), lindenengineering (11-11-2019), sailquik (11-12-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
irvingj
2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

Some on this forum may be old enough to remember a time in the 50s when "Made in Japan" was actually synonymous with words like "cheap" and "junk".

By the 70s that was no longer the case, in fact their autos, stereos and cameras were world-class quality and very much in demand. Twenty years.

For better or worse, I believe China will get there in a similar fashion-- not really there yet (I still mostly avoid their products), but getting closer. They may have already nailed down the solar panel controller market....

As far as torque wrenches, yes, I've sent mine (one a 30-year-old Craftsman) out to a company called "Team Torque" to have them calibrated. PITA, but necessary if they're to be trusted.
Bobnoxious (11-12-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,047 Times in 4,443 Posts

In the airline industry we have mostly moved to digital torque wrenches. Easier to calibrate and more accurate, even at very low or high torque settings. They also don't suffer from temperature sensitivity like some designs can. Almost all digital units use an integral load cell. There are disk shaped units which you can attach to an existing breaker bar, ratchet for more flexibility in handle length.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
lindenengineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
In the airline industry we have mostly moved to digital torque wrenches. Easier to calibrate and more accurate, even at very low or high torque settings. They also don't suffer from temperature sensitivity like some designs can. Almost all digital units use an integral load cell. There are disk shaped units which you can attach to an existing breaker bar, ratchet for more flexibility in handle length.
All of our torque wrenches for vital stuff like engine & transmission rebuilds atc are digital. That stated they still get sent out for certification annually.
Dennis
Old 11-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,439 Times in 3,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvingj View Post
Some on this forum may be old enough to remember a time in the 50s when "Made in Japan" was actually synonymous with words like "cheap" and "junk".

By the 70s that was no longer the case, in fact their autos, stereos and cameras were world-class quality and very much in demand. Twenty years.

For better or worse, I believe China will get there in a similar fashion-- not really there yet (I still mostly avoid their products), but getting closer. They may have already nailed down the solar panel controller market....

As far as torque wrenches, yes, I've sent mine (one a 30-year-old Craftsman) out to a company called "Team Torque" to have them calibrated. PITA, but necessary if they're to be trusted.

That's cuz China is stealing our industry and military Secrets and sometimes with Google's and Apple's help. These corporations are treasonous sell outs. Just ask Nike.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote