Is Advanced-RV now offering the shorter 2500 Sprinter 144" wheelbase?

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I got the dreaded 10 starts message for DEF only I added DEF but it didn’t reset. What’s worse it happened at Michign’s UP over 500 miles from home. Gas is looking better. :)
I agree. I've had the count-down about a year ago but it was an anomaly and cleared itself.

Mine is in the shop now for CEL and 20BE1B code related to the DEF tank heater. I just clocked over 104,000 miles - so no warranty coverage. I'm really tired of the extra effort required to find diesel on the road. The stations in my area are often out of diesel and then I have to hunt for a fill.

Yesterday BMW announced no more diesels in USA. Mercedes cars did the same last year. Cadillac also just announced they are suspending their diesel development efforts and will now focus on electric drive, likely hybrid.

A close friend had a GMC diesel pickup that he used to tow his trailer. After discovering the limited life and high cost of GMC diesel injectors he traded it for a gas power Ford F-150 EcoBoost.

Diesel is dying a slow death in light weight vehicles. They are still good for heavy Sprinters like our 170" Extended models running at near max GVWR. But a lighter 144" Sprinter 2500 with the 4-Cylinder gas engine might just become my next van. I plan to have ARV build me one in a few years. The ESPAR heaters are available in gasoline models, so you could stay with same basic configuration of single fuel electric van.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Diesel end is coming - https://e360.yale.edu/features/end-of-the-road-are-diesel-cars-on-the-way-out-in-europe but Europeans have another option carbon option not popular in NA, LPG or CNG. https://gazeo.com/up-to-date/news/2...gistrations-of-LPG-CNG-cars,article,9986.html

A few years ago, we travelled for over one month throughout France with LPG car, LPG self-service stations were common, fuel was less expensive. LPG couplers vary through EU but most stations have adaptors. LPG fill is easy, insert the nozzle, push the button, fueling stops automatically. See the picture of one station serving gasoline, diesel and LPG.
https://www.businessmotoring.co.uk/...-m25-as-alternative-to-petrol-diesel-and-evs/

dynaco1

I'm a big fan of the I4 2.0L diesel but will be placing an order for a 2019 144 2.0L gasser. I do not drive enough to pay for the diesel engine up-charge. I like to idle the engine, while warming-up or cooling-down the cabin. I'll miss the extra space 170ext....

Last edited:

Boxster1971

I'm a big fan of the I4 2.0L diesel but will be placing an order for a 2019 144 2.0L gasser. I do not drive enough to pay for the diesel engine up-charge. I like to idle the engine, while warming-up or cooling-down the cabin. I'll miss the extra space 170ext....

I like the I-4 diesel - but no longer available and no mention if it will ever come back in USA market. But I'm really done with diesels. Emissions system too complex and expensive in the long term.

Got call from my Sprinter dealer since my last post. Need new DEF tank heater. Naturally they have them in stock - says a lot about how many they have to repair. Since the DEF tank on my Airstream converted Sprinter is covered by sliding door step it requires extra work to remove DEF tank to replace the tank heater. Looks like a $1,900 repair and only 4,000 miles past the extended 100,000 mile emission warranty.

My next van will be gasoline, prefer a Sprinter, but wouldn't rule out a Transit. I wonder if Advanced RV would consider adding Transit conversions in the future?

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I like the I-4 diesel - but no longer available and no mention if it will ever come back in USA market. But I'm really done with diesels. Emissions system too complex and expensive in the long term.

Got call from my Sprinter dealer since my last post. Need new DEF tank heater. Naturally they have them in stock - says a lot about how many they have to repair. Since the DEF tank on my Airstream converted Sprinter is covered by sliding door step it requires extra work to remove DEF tank to replace the tank heater. Looks like a $1,900 repair and only 4,000 miles past the extended 100,000 mile emission warranty.

My next van will be gasoline, prefer a Sprinter, but wouldn't rule out a Transit.
Agree on all counts. The situation with Sprinter diesel emissions systems is beyond ridiculous. Surprised there isn't a class-action. MB is making it pretty obvious that they have little interest in doing more than the bare minimum to keep diesel in the US. There is no way diesel will attract the R&D money necessary for a truly acceptable 21st century engine.

Modern petrol engines are amazing. In a few years, they will be perfectly adequate for all Sprinter-class service.

Davydd

It evidently cleared but the check engine light is still on. I topped it off and then a 10 start warning appeared. Then when I refueled the first time and turned the engine off, the reading was 9 starts. Then the second time I fueled it said 16 starts about the time I drove 500 miles from the first DEF warning which jives with my service manual. Then the next time I stopped the warning went away but the check engine light is still on. I think it is a false reading and the computer is malfunctioning. I'm going in for Service B which is due in 500 miles and get it taken care of before we travel again. They said it could go last year when I replaced just one sensor. It is kind of frustrating because we ended our trip 3 days early.

We were just at Advanced RV this week to review our design. It will be a go if we can do it in a 2500 144 design. Advanced RV still does not have final information on the 2019. They upped the GVWR to 9,100 lbs. but didn't change the payload figures correspondingly with their information on hand. So I wonder how the Ascent, Agile and Airstream 19 manage their designs. I don't think my design could weigh as much but I think I may go with the Valence batteries at 828 amp hours and not the Volta system. The 144 build they had in the shop under construction was based on the Valence batteries. They will be inside so won't have the protective armor steel plate and aluminum skid plate I now have that weighed as much as the batteries.

I'm going stealth again. No awning and nothing that screams RV on the outside with penetrations including now the electrical SmartPlug under the back bumper instead of on the side. I got ARV's first SmartPlug and missed out on the logical location because the hole was already drilled that could be plugged in blindly unlike the common align and twist and turn plug. The air condition will be in the location more forward where MB puts their factory air conditioner. Windows all around. I'll look more like an airport transporter. No solar panels. I don't need them with a second fast charging alternator, massive battery bank and storing in my heated garage when not traveling. But I will still have the NovaKool 6.8 cf two door refrigerator/freezer and a much larger bathroom of about 31" deep by 40". I will have a kitchen galley much larger than any 144 Sprinter and storage for two bicycles inside.

Boxster1971

It evidently cleared but the check engine light is still on. I topped it off and then a 10 start warning appeared. Then when I refueled the first time and turned the engine off, the reading was 9 starts. Then the second time I fueled it said 16 starts about the time I drove 500 miles from the first DEF warning which jives with my service manual. Then the next time I stopped the warning went away but the check engine light is still on. I think it is a false reading and the computer is malfunctioning. I'm going in for Service B which is due in 500 miles and get it taken care of before we travel again. They said it could go last year when I replaced just one sensor. It is kind of frustrating because we ended our trip 3 days early.

Had something similar happen to me about a year ago. CEL eventually cleared itself. Good Luck!

Boxster1971

Agree on all counts. The situation with Sprinter diesel emissions systems is beyond ridiculous. Surprised there isn't a class-action. MB is making it pretty obvious that they have little interest in doing more than the bare minimum to keep diesel in the US. There is no way diesel will attract the R&D money necessary for a truly acceptable 21st century engine.

Modern petrol engines are amazing. In a few years, they will be perfectly adequate for all Sprinter-class service.
Mercedes dropped diesels for cars and SUV's in USA last year. BMW did the same a few weeks ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/autos/news/bmw-drops-diesel-from-north-america/ar-BBNdxB9?li=AAxCjZq

Last week Cadillac said they would suspend diesel development to focus on electrification.

https://www.motor1.com/news/266214/cadillac-stops-diesel-engine-development/

... and I just ordered a Chevrolet Bolt EV to replace my 18 year old Prius.

Davydd

Advanced RV has put out this video showing the 2019 Sprinter made in the Charleston, SC plant. Mike Neundorfer previewed and test drove the new Sprinter and reviewed it. He also updated the status of Advanced RV on the new Sprinter. He stated that they will remain on the Sprinter platform for 2019 but they have evaluated others like the Promaster and Transit. Interestingly, our bunk bed mockup in a 2018 shorty Sprinter last May got a cameo appearance in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26i...55hpmWFPyJ18T01U0qBfz2nEqcNCEth_Zb8lz-34U81cU

Davydd

Here is the latest Sprinter 144 shorty van from Advanced RV. It is a detailed video of all aspects of the design. They don't go into much on their lithium batteries but this one is 828ah under the bed inside. They've enclosed the black tank, grey tank and all water lines inside a heated aluminum closure. the water tank is heated as before with waste glycol return and this one was tested down to 10 deg. without freezing. I think it can go down lower based on my experience. It has a macerator but also a back up emergency 3" gravity dump. Video says and shows much more including the underside up on a hoist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHe...Nah3Kx8KCtTSxfYrVxPHHl5Ihj0L1hnWJADdzBjsBUiS8

Davydd

In case you are wondering, Brittany, the presenter in the Veda video had her baby November 14. A baby girl, Sophia Genevieve. :)

Davydd

If you watched to video on Veda you have seen this already. This is the first time I think where ARV installed lithium batteries inside the conditioned space of the van and this is a standard for their 144 WB Sprinters. They are six drop in style batteries totaling 824ah or 204ah apiece. Drop in is kind of a misnomer as I doubt anyone is going to pull the batteries with their complex wiring as shown other than in a repair facility. These are the batteries I am considering on my next ARV inside under the bed but in a different configuration of a single row.

Boxster1971

Thanks for the update. Mike Neundorfer mentioned in the video that they are doing five 144" Sprinter builds. It will be exciting to see the finished products. This size of van is becoming more popular with the major RV manufacturers.

Davydd

Those are all 2018 dually 4x4s. I believe they are all spoken for. I decided to forego them and to wait for the 2019 model of yet unknown configuration. Hopefully a 2500 with my design.

Boxster1971

Here is the latest video from Advanced RV on their 144s:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=...9PE5D_X58mmCZx3_Z-fxnPOdSH-fMXE&v=x_rQlKtoaIs

So far I think they have built or are building six 144 Sprinters and none of them are remotely alike. This video shows three in production. Dugan, Veda and Bucky are out on the road.
Thanks - also saw video on the B-van forum yesterday. I noticed all the 144" Sprinters they have shown are 3500 duallies. I would rather have a 2500 with single rear wheels. A 3500 shorty seems like over kill unless one plans to carry/tow something heavy. Airstream, Roadtrek, Pleasure-Way, Winnebago and other all make capable vans on 2500 144" WB Sprinters. I would think Advanced RV could do the same. The new 2019 Sprinters 2500's also have a bit more capacity, something like 500 lbs more.

Davydd

I'm negotiating a 2500 from Advanced RV right now in regard to weight and a way to achieve my design. I did mention the A50 option on the front axle and they came back that it didn't increase the GVWR. I am giving up my electric articulating beds in my design not for weight be just can't achieve them in a bunk bed design, but weight would have been a factor. I need to have a 2500 in my design for the dimension between wheel wells or would have to rethink it. However, just four wheels to deal with is a big plus I desire after having two dually Sprinters.

Boxster1971

I'm negotiating a 2500 from Advanced RV right now in regard to weight and a way to achieve my design. I did mention the A50 option on the front axle and they came back that it didn't increase the GVWR. I am giving up my electric articulating beds in my design not for weight be just can't achieve them in a bunk bed design, but weight would have been a factor. I need to have a 2500 in my design for the dimension between wheel wells or would have to rethink it. However, just four wheels to deal with is a big plus I desire after having two dually Sprinters.

Good to know you are working toward a 2500. I agree with just four wheels and the increased interior space in 2500 from smaller wheel wells.
I’d still get the A50 heavy duty front axle for the capacity.

I’m registered for the ARV Fest in May - assume you will be there. Hope to get more info on possible 2500 builds. I’m planning to start design process with ARV next year if I can see a path to a 2500 build. I’d like a layout similar to Airstream Interstate 19 or Pleasure-Way Ascent. But I’d like twin beds and a collapsible toilet/bath similar to what they did for Bucky. Need to have some seats to carry 3-4 passengers.

Top Bottom