Kitchen 15A fuse keeps blowing

Adolphus

Is it just me, or is there a fix somebody else’s gone through for a kitchen 15 amp fuse that keeps blowing? Strange, because it was doing ok for a while. I can’t think of anything I’ve changed in that area. That’s the only pesky fuse problem in the camper.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Vibration from driving can cause things to damage a cable harness that's pressed against them (by rubbing/chafing).

Does it pop instantly, or only on a (say) weekly basis? (intermittents are *sooo* much fun to track down...)

Does it pop if you unplug everything? (if feasible)

--dick

Kiltym

Must be a short somewhere....... Either wire, or in an appliance.

I would try disconnecting things on the circuit one by one, at least it would start to narrow down where the problem is.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Pops as soon as power restored after new fuse. This is with no apparent load (lights and fan switches off)
So it's a "solid" failure... which makes it MUCH easier to chase down with an ohmmeter.

Disconnect AC feeds from any sources (shore power, generator, inverter), leave fuse holder empty, connect ohmmeter probes into one of the kitchen outlets ... should show low (near zero?) ohmage ... now poke around to locate things like loose connections (in the outlet boxes), wires fallen out of wire nuts or crimp connections, investigate RV documentation to see what "hidden" gadgets are also hooked onto that circuit (water heater? water pumps? installed lighting?). Look behind the fuse panel itself, too.
If any of the wires are "outside accessible", look for rodent chewing damage.

--dick
p.s. "should show low ohmage" ... that's when it's failing. If it was happy, the resistance should be very high (or infinite).

Last edited:

Adolphus

I’m sure you’re right. I’m trying to think where I might have caused it during my ac conversion, and will start by unplugging everything I see that goes to the kitchen lights and fan. I just purchased 15 more 15A back up fuses and probably will be hearing a lot of pops as I go through this exercise :(

autostaretx

Erratic Member
DON'T USE FUSES for the test ... do it UNpowered with an ohmmeter.

(far safer, far more "guidance" as to the cause)

Even a "free from Harbor Freight" ohmmeter is more than adequate for this hunt. (or $15 at any hardware store)

--dick
p.s. consider that you may have more than one problem... and the "fuse test" will only find the obvious one.
It's the UNobvious ones that can impart fatal amounts of current that wouldn't be anywhere NEAR popping the fuse.

p.p.s. ALSO check the conductivity between BOTH sides of your kitchen circuit to the Sprinter's frame metal.
They should be totally isolated. (with a nuanced arm-wave for inverter neutral/frame bonding)

Last edited:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Just an FYI: This thread is about the 12v system with the automotive type fuses behind the rear bench seat.

Autocamp posted on his Eat Drink blog that the fuse box had been turned upside down and the wrong fuse sizes used as a result (or something like that). So may want to confirm that the other fuses work for the right circuits so you're narrowing down to right circuits.

As you removed the various ac and upper kichen cabinets, a wire may have become dislodged.

When the driver side awning window was being fixed, the same fuse was blown a couple of times from the disconnected light wires touching by accident.

Please keep us posted.

Adolphus

Good points. When it seemed like an intermittent problem 2 weeks ago the kitchen lights and fan wouldn’t turn on until a new fuse was used. Now those same lights and fan are inoperable since a new fuse blows immediately with all switches off. I tried to be careful but I may have to take off the cabinets +/- side awning trim again to ferret it out.

Adolphus

I just changed bulbs for the license plate light, then tried another fuse for the kitchen. Don’t think there’s any relation, but currently (no pun intended) all’s temporarily well. Now that’s wierd. Guess I’ll have to postpone further exploration until it blows a fuse again.

grozier

If that is the same fuse as for the TV antenna booster, make sure nothing metal is touching the exposed connections back there. A zipper pull in the "sweater compartment" at the top of the closet once caused all sorts of trouble.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
In other thread about mice

DanielMcCoy's post provides info about the wiring in the upper kitchen cabinet for the lights (between the lower shelf and the bottom of the cabinet).

The rest of the wiring for the lights presumably goes behind the metal backsplash and to the fuses.

The fuse block looks like it unscrews and removes from the front. I don't know what type of access there is to behind the fuse block. Usually, you can access that area from the dishpan compartment: removing the protective L cover around the main 12 volt switch, then the panel against the back of the bench seat.

The other removable panel is inside the small top compartment with a hinged door.

Finally, there may be detailed instructions in the CD-Rom instructions. The pdf version is at http://sprinterwestfalia.com/

Please post whatever you find and do. Thanks.

Allobet

DanielMcCoy's post provides info about the wiring in the upper kitchen cabinet for the lights (between the lower shelf and the bottom of the cabinet).

The rest of the wiring for the lights presumably goes behind the metal backsplash and to the fuses.

The fuse block looks like it unscrews and removes from the front. I don't know what type of access there is to behind the fuse block. Usually, you can access that area from the dishpan compartment: removing the protective L cover around the main 12 volt switch, then the panel against the back of the bench seat.

The other removable panel is inside the small top compartment with a hinged door.

Finally, there may be detailed instructions in the CD-Rom instructions. The pdf version is at http://sprinterwestfalia.com/

Well as I posted on the other thread..... opened up the bottom of top kitchen cabinets by removing the nails with a lederman Knife blade. The right shelf has a nice knotch that allows you to lift the shelf and I found some droppings there but nothing else.
to remove the left shelf I had to remove the trim by shimming the Lederman knife and pulling it carefully. There I found a nice nest with engine insulation. Really cozy and always dark! Smart critters!!!
about to troubleshoot the electric part now

Attachments

Top Bottom