T21 Emissions Recall Notice

limerence

This might be a dumb question, but is the difference in experience from Sprinter owners due to the conditions of the vans themselves, or due to the fix of the recall?

I guess what I am trying to understand is that if it is due to the fix, were there multiple releases of the fix where there are versioning issues across dealerships that may be applying an older fix?

When I called up the FCA number on the recall letter to ask yesterday, the individual didn't know if there were multiple fixes out there, but told me I would have to contact Dodge to ask that question.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
This might be a dumb question, but is the difference in experience from Sprinter owners due to the conditions of the vans themselves, or due to the fix of the recall?

I guess what I am trying to understand is that if it is due to the fix, were there multiple releases of the fix where there are versioning issues across dealerships that may be applying an older fix?
From what I gathered, there were updates to vans that had issues (hoping that this update would fix their issue) and vans that had no issues. I'll just state the ones that had NO issues.

Right now, the ones that had no issue are coming back with errors (EGR running constantly and gauge cluster error). The one user that had his ECU updated recently (a couple days ago from San Luis Obispo) had no issues, but it's too early.

Some of the issues mentioned either happened right away or appeared 300+ miles down the road. These issues were mentioned back in 2016 when their vans (Freightliner) were updated without them knowing and the problems came (guinea pigs).

I'm kind of hoping that we have more data points to this issue before I waltz down to my dealer for an update OR I'm forced to do it.

When I called up the FCA number on the recall letter to ask yesterday, the individual didn't know if there were multiple fixes out there, but told me I would have to contact Dodge to ask that question.
This make no sense. Kind of like telling my customer to call another customer service rep under the same umbrella to get a better answer.

There should only be one update and that is coming from Daimler. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the type of revisions available.

markxengineering

I have not read this whole thread, but went to the Dodge dealer today to have my injectors programmed with the 6 digit codes. At the end of discussion with service writer, asked not to have any updates done to the ECU. He had to go back to the work order and cross out a big part of it- glad I saw this first.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The update code is probably dependent on the ecu model and software revision. Due to the skreem ecu and cluster interlock, it's possible that other modules besides the ECM require flashing.

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
FYI I took my van back this week to the dealership. Absolutely no help still have the running EGR and the instrument cluster light. They told me there is nothing on the recall mentioning the issue. Same code 2527-004 No troubleshooting performed because I refused to pay a dime. Pulling fuses and disconnecting EGR for now.

I have noticed generally after my first stop of the day, it functions fine. Nearly every time I am done for the day it won't shut down, so my symptoms are definitely intermittent.

Added information. I had a new EGR value installed by the dealership on 11/1/15.

Last edited:

... They told me there is nothing on the recall mentioning the issue. ...
:rolleyes:

My opinion remains unchanged to date.

My opinion.

Some recent positive comments/feedback have been encouraging, but then a negative one pops up eg. - Some Dodge dealerships refuse to/can't do the work. At this time they seem to be able to refuse. If they are forced by government/corporate pressure to try anyway, that may not work so well for Sprinter owners. So for me the jury is still out and I'm patiently waiting for the final verdict.

My best hope lies with the California owner feedback because California DMV requires a document for emissions compliance. You would think that will force MB, Freightliner, Dodge aka FCA Fiat Chrysler America to get their act together in California.

:2cents: vic
I'd get together all the details posted in Sprinter-source regarding the T21 Freightliner problems and resolution. Once that is compiled, then call the contacts listed on your T21 recall letter. If Freightliner has acknowledged and repaired the problems created by the T21 recall, then Dodge should do the same.

Don't bother with the dealership. They are applying the "not my Johnny" response just like the parents of problem children. If they never acknowledge a problem existing then they are off the hook. Did you ever give official consent to them to perform the work? The government may control emissions regulations, but you remain the owner of the vehicle.

Good luck.
vic

white whale

My biggest starter thread, I'm humbled. Absolutely will not do anything with this recall for the foreseeable future. Outside of this forum I might have gone in. If its not broke.......

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
Update. First my van is a Freightliner and this is a huge Columbus, Ohio Freightliner dealership. I made the mistake of not going in when the service manager was there. He emailed me today, he said if a bad ECU is causing the problem, it would be covered under the recall warranty. Unfortunately I won't be able to get in until next weekend or the following week.

I will update further after my appointment.

Last edited:
I had the work done at my local Dodge dealer yesterday. I uninstalled the GDE tune before taking it in. All seems fine -- other than I no longer have a GDE tune. I mainly had the GDE tune to ensure I passed emissions, so it's kind of a moot point now -- shouldn't need it for that purpose anymore.

The Dodge service folks said they have done a ton of the recalls and only had an issue with one vehicle. Like I said, I noticed no difference. Sprinter still running great.
Thanks, would be very interesting to see if van is now throwing any error codes.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
This message has been writing itself in my head for the last week or so as pieces of this puzzle have been coming together and I’m reading this thread.
Summary:
If you have Freightliner or Mercedes T1N and get the recall notice, this “issue” is really a non-issue. Nothing to worry about AT ALL.
If you have a Dodge T1N, the recall is frustrating and will be until Dodge implements the FULL recall service, which Freightliner and Mercedes are already doing. But it’s not debilitating as long as you pull the instrument cluster fuse and EGR plug every time you park for more than a day.
The GDE Tune cannot and will not affect the recall.
The long story:
As a Sprinter mechanic, I see lots of Sprinters come and go, mostly T1Ns. A friend contacted me about 6 months ago wanting to buy a Sprinter and I helped him find an ‘04 Long/Tall 3500 with about 120K miles for cheap. I can’t remember why, but there was no access to the original owner, nor any documentation about the van’s previous life.
It needed some lock work and some door work and all the fluids changed, but otherwise was a solid van and he loved it. Shortly afterwards, he called me complaining that the battery kept dying. And that a dash light would stay on all night long and there was a whirring coming from under the hood even after the key was removed from the ignition.
You see where this is going…
No matter what I did, I couldn’t get the odometer light to turn off nor the egr valve from cycling constantly. Short of removing the fuses, that is. But sometimes they would turn off by themselves for no apparent reason. The guy had me install an aux battery for his living space behind the cab, so I also installed an emergency start button like RVs have and he was happy with that backup even though the problem wasnt solved. He doesnt work in the winter, so we had decided that I would replace his ignition switch in the Spring.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I saw this thread.
EUREKA!
Finally the puzzle pieces started falling into place.
Turns out the van is a Freighliner. It had the initial recall done and then was put up for sale. My friend purchased the van and the problems that people are complaining about stemming from the recall popped up.
AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, THESE ARE THE TRUE ISSUES STEMMING FROM THE RECALL:
The recall, according to the earlier posts in this thread, has to do with the monitors so that they will close easier for emissions tests. But the two unintended consequences of the recall is that the “timeout” function of the EGR and Odometer light does not usually happen. There seems to be some talk of cycling the key off and on twice on shutdown to get the one minute “timeout” clock to start, but I have not found that to be the case with the Sprinters I have seen.
The T1Ns drive exactly like any other T1N of the same age and mileage, so I cannot speak to there being any other driveability issues stemming from this initial recall.
The worst (and really, only) downside of having this recall done is a dead battery.
Mercedes, being Mercedes, has been relatively responsive to the issues caused by the recall and have since issued a 2nd recall to remedy the first. As far as I can tell, it involves a new instrument cluster and possibly another ECU reflash, although the recall letter that I have seen only mentions the instrument cluster.
Because Mercedes does warranty and recall work on Freightliners, if you have Freightliner, you are in luck and should experience none of the issues complained about here and you should have NO CONCERNS about getting this recall work done.
If you have a Dodge T1N, you might want to hold off on getting the recall work done until Dodge officially recongnizes the issues caused by the initial recall and issues a 2nd recall.
If you live in California, this may present a problem because California apparently requires all recall work completed on any vehicle being registered in the state. If you find yourself in this situation, you can argue your case with the DMV or you can get the first phase of the recall work done and live with having to unplug your egr and instrument cluster fuse every night, unless you want to risk a dead battery the next time you hop in your T1N.
In the middle of all this with my customer, we installed the GDE tune. It installed just fine and gave the normal “pep” to the engine. It did NOT, however, keep the EGR from cycling nonstop when the key was removed.
So when my customer goes to get the 2nd recall work done, we are going to uninstall the GDE tune so the dealership won’t see it.
I just called GDE and they said that the old tune programming would not work with the updated dealership ECU flash. If you have already purchased the tune from them, they will upgrade your old tune to work with the new ECU flash for $100.
I hope this is helpful to someone and if anything is incorrect, please feel free to correct me.

jsrmonster

It's no problem to roll back the EDC16 firmware to older sw version after the dealer has updated it with latest mess of a firmware. This needs to be done on the tuners bench, and not done thru the port.

If you have a port programmer, make sure you remove your tuning before visiting the dealer for the sw upgrade. You can get a new tune made for the new firmware $$$, or get your old firmware restored to its oem version and use your existing tuning after old firmware is restored $.

I can back up your ecu's current state firmware (not just flash portion) and roll back ecu to previous conditions. Other tuners should be able to do this service but usually don't get involved in firmware restoration or upgrading when tuning thru the port only.
Jeff

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Do they get you at the smog station? How does it work? I certainly don't want to walk into DMV and ask.
If you didn't get it in the notice, I would just go in for a smog check. No one from CA has reported being in your scenario (yet). I'm sure you will receive your time at the dealership when required.

We're all in the early stages of "unknown."

My notice doesn't come in until another month or two. If I don't see a T21 requirement, I'm going straight to the smog station early and find out from them. We usually get a notice a month and a half in advance, so there is time to go in for a smog and then maybe a dealership if required.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
ALSO, I went to NHTSA to check my VIN and there was no mention of any recall whatsoever.

Did I get lucky? or have I just not heard from them yet?
NHTSA is only *safety* recalls ... the MAF recall campaign on the T1N is Emissions-related, not safety.

(hmmm... as i write that, it comes to mind that the failure of the Brake light-self-test to operate is a safety issue, but they may have isolated it to the subject vehicles)

--dick (who got the T21 MAF letter, but not anything about the Brake indicator (that i recall))

joshattack

I'm a little confused, maybe someone can help me out. I received a notice for the recall for my 06 Sprinter sometime around Thanksgiving/early Dec but haven't done anything yet. I just put a new battery in the van last week and now my instrument light is staying on. My mechanic checked a few things, and it occasionally goes off but most times I just pull the fuse. He said that it most likely has to do with the recall.

Here's my question. All the reports of the same thing are from folks who had the reprogramming done, but I have not. I was actually scheduled to get the recall done later this week, but now after reading about it I am not sure.

Has there been an update? If I keep my appointment, what are the chances the Dodge Dealer fixes my instrument light problem?

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
My mechanic checked a few things, and it occasionally goes off but most times I just pull the fuse. He said that it most likely has to do with the recall
The T21 recall (ECU reprogramming) apparently induces the gauge issue.

If you did NOT get the reprogramming, then your problem is something else. The recall does NOT fix your issue.

... He said that it most likely has to do with the recall.
I need to ask. Has you Sprinter been to the dealership at all since Nov. 2017? There have been reports that a dealership will just automatically apply the recall changes. It doesn't need to be requested. They may not even tell you that they intend to update to it.

... If I keep my appointment, what are the chances the Dodge Dealer fixes my instrument light problem?
That may not work out for you.

I recall some comments which indicated that the dealership would scan your vehicle prior to applying the T21. Any existing problems would be recorded. They will not be responsible for, or correct pre-existing issues.

I'd be wary of providing them a Sprinter for T21 recall that has known problems.

joshattack

I need to ask. Has you Sprinter been to the dealership at all since Nov. 2017? There have been reports that a dealership will just automatically apply the recall changes. It doesn't need to be requested. They may not even tell you that they intend to update to it.

That may not work out for you.

I recall some comments which indicated that the dealership would scan your vehicle prior to applying the T21. Any existing problems would be recorded. They will not be responsible for, or correct pre-existing issues.

I'd be wary of providing them a Sprinter for T21 recall that has known problems.

It hasn't been to the dealership since 2015, I try to avoid them.

white whale

Was into the dealer today for a part pickup, from my washer connection thread... possibly the cheapest dealer part for a sprinter, but still double the online options....
I was able to talk to a tech and this recall. He called up the full step by step instructions, even printed them out for me for some light reading. There was a message - that page I did not get - about a small percentage of recalls that will result in other issues coming up after the fix. Way above my head to understand. He basically shrugged and said if its not acting up don't bother with it. Work can be done anytime. I did get the one page that states the post flash test drive needs a minimum 20 minute drive with various speed changes to assure the fix is correct.

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
Update on my Sprinter, the good news my Freightliner dealer did all the diagnosis and is going to replace the ECU on their dime. They showed me I am having issues with my shifter, even though I have no physical issues at all the shifter. They said they can't replace the ECU unless the shifter is replaced, and that cost is on me. As much as I don't what to pay this repair, and am going to go ahead and have the shifter replaced. Hopefully this will take car of my recall issues.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Many people have reported a P1926 (shifter) error popping up after the recall.
I'd be very surprised that they *all* had a broken shifter instead of a recall-related glitch.

Many of the errors seem to appear after a day or so. One 20 minute test drive may not show them.

It will be informative if replacing your shifter cancels *that* error ... did you catch the error code they were seeing?

Shifters have firmware, too, so this may be a "version compatibility" issue at heart.

--dick
p.s. in the "sofware update" thread, there's a report of an apparently successful update... but *without* any added mileage appearing on the odometer... a very short-distance 20 minute test drive??

Last edited:

Top Bottom