Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #81
john61ct

Default Re: Tesla Model S Module Inverter/Charger

Yes, most protective design features are hopefully never actually triggered.

For a bank costing many thousands it's worth having multiple failsafe layers of defence.

Especially with a LI chemistry much more prone to risk of thermal runaway than LFP is.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:55 PM   #82
SteveFCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, most protective design features are hopefully never actually triggered.

For a bank costing many thousands it's worth having multiple failsafe layers of defence.

Especially with a LI chemistry much more prone to risk of thermal runaway than LFP is.
Agreed, I plan to use a separate low voltage cutoff between the battery and the inverter/ charger to guard against overdischarge. According to the Victron forums, the inverter restart voltage, even with the new firmware update released last week, cannot be set lower than 4 volts above the programmed low voltage cutoff on the multiplus and presumable the Quattro. UNTIL THIS IS FIXED, the low voltage cutoff would be too low, or the restart voltage too high IMO. A victron employee responded to this finding and added it to the wishlist for the next update. I also plan to have a separate high voltage cutoff just in case. One cant be too careful when dealing with this chemistry. So I too plan multiple failsafes for my install.
SteveFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #83
Geriakt

I use the Victron Battery Protect 220 as my second low voltage cut off set at 19 volts. You still need a DC low voltage cut off for DC powered stuff. It can also be used as a high voltage cut off using a battery monitor with a relay built in like the Victron 712. I use an off brand battery monitor with a hall sensor that also has the relay. I use a Victron BP 60 as an over PV charge protection connected to the battery monitor.
Geriakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:55 AM   #84
SteveFCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriakt View Post
I use the Victron Battery Protect 220 as my second low voltage cut off set at 19 volts. You still need a DC low voltage cut off for DC powered stuff. It can also be used as a high voltage cut off using a battery monitor with a relay built in like the Victron 712. I use an off brand battery monitor with a hall sensor that also has the relay. I use a Victron BP 60 as an over PV charge protection connected to the battery monitor.
Apparently Victron Battery Protect units are directional and cannot be used between a battery and an inverter/charger. I recall reading that sometime ago but forgot about it until a moderator on the Victron forums sent you a message about this issue. Another poster on the Victron forums actually had a fire in his van while charging via the inverter charger (which was not a Victron unit)
SteveFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #85
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFCA View Post
Apparently Victron Battery Protect units are directional and cannot be used between a battery and an inverter/charger. I recall reading that sometime ago but forgot about it until a moderator on the Victron forums sent you a message about this issue. Another poster on the Victron forums actually had a fire in his van while charging via the inverter charger (which was not a Victron unit)
you can use them between a charger, but they canít be setup in reverse. The problem people ran into is trying to use them as protection for both dc loads and the charge source and the would overheat and sometimes burn up from the charge source running current through them in reverse.

Attached is how I recently wired up 2x v bpsto protect a Li pack from dc loads and the charge source. I used the relay contacts on a v bmv 712 as a backup measure on the charge source b protect instead of the bms (black box) in the diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3B4A200-483D-4AC5-BEB9-15417AEA7F83.jpg (34.2 KB, 22 views)
vanski is offline   Reply With Quote