3D Printed houses

Very interesting!

A click "Thanks" didn't seem like enough. Thanks for highlighting this new technology. It certainly has great potential.

:cheers: vic

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Yes, it seems like it is going to revolutionize the building industry again, might put a lot of people out of work as well?

D

Deleted member 50714

Lumber lobby will put the kabosh on 3-D printing.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I don't see where it would put anyone out of business. It just builds the walls. I had a crew of three guys build that much of the house in one day as well.
They still need to add the roof, utilities, flooring and such.
And don't forget those city inspectors. "This wall is .0025 inch off of spec. You'll have to tear it all down and start over."

D

Deleted member 50714

I don't see where it would put anyone out of business. It just builds the walls. I had a crew of three guys build that much of the house in one day as well.
And don't forget those city inspectors. "This wall is .0025 inch off of spec. You'll have to tear it all down and start over."
Around here, building inspectors must be bribed to go soft and easy on large home developments. I suspect, many government inspectors must never leave their vehicle's.

The HVAC ducting on our former tract home leaked 25%. Air didn't flow from some vents. The problem was so bad, Commiefornia passed a state law requiring duct HERS testing.

HVAC contractors pay employees piece meal or so much per house. As a result, quality became secondary to productivity.

https://www.herstesting.net/hers-testing-in-california/

Last edited by a moderator:

Garandman

There is potential for the process in construction, but it will be a long time coming. And the idea that it will be a low-cost process is deceptive.

Building a rectilinear house via 3D printing doesn't take advantage of the biggest benefit of the process: it decouples complexity from cost. A simple shape and a complex shape requiring the same amount of material can be made for nearly the same cost. This is not true for just about any other manufacturing process.

We are very used to having rectangular rooms with square corners. Not only does 3D printing allow rounded corners and irregular shapes, you can usually build a shape with radiused corners faster. There's no reason the walls have to be straight. But you are still going to have to put a roof on it, put windows in it, plumbing, HVAC and electric.

I think "hybrid" construction is most likely to hit the real world first, with a room or two built this way to provide an ornamental element, conform to terrain, etc.

Last edited:

I could see where acceptance of the new technology could have some problems.

Our local plumbing jurisdiction took quite a while to allow plastic piping for underground sewer lines. That finally got approved long after it was in general use in other areas.

Concrete construction of various forms has been introduced into the building trades over the years. I expect that it won't be that much of problem to gain acceptance for the walls as shown in the videos.

Some other 3D printing building videos which I've seen do use the process for the roof as well. I suppose that could add some complexity, but concrete plank roof decks have been around for some time. The roof 3D printing may include some reinforcement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH-zpnoNLEU

:2cents: vic

flman

The guys that frame from the foundation to the top of the last story wall are out of work, not going to need the same amount of framers for just a roof. Watch Vic's video below and see how much labor is used.

flman

I could see where acceptance of the new technology could have some problems.

Our local plumbing jurisdiction took quite a while to allow plastic piping for underground sewer lines. That finally got approved long after it was in general use in other areas.

Concrete construction of various forms has been introduced into the building trades over the years. I expect that it won't be that much of problem to gain acceptance for the walls as shown in the videos.

Some other 3D printing building videos which I've seen do use the process for the roof as well. I suppose that could add some complexity, but concrete plank roof decks have been around for some time. The roof 3D printing may include some reinforcement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH-zpnoNLEU

:2cents: vic

Impressive, looks like they have been at this for a while now.

Garandman

The guys that frame from the foundation to the top of the last story wall are out of work, not going to need the same amount of framers for just a roof. Watch Vic's video below and see how much labor is used.
Well, hopefully they can get a job building the 3D printers or setting them up and running them at the job site.

Related to the topic: new reinforcements for concrete, plastic fibers and rebar.

https://newatlas.com/materials/polymer-fiber-reinforced-concrete/

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I've been thinking of a project where I put single wide trailer/modular home on a concrete base garage. A dozen of these with utilities/laundry in the downstairs. Steps and a deck. I'd love to do this with the printer. Then crane the living space on top. But it makes removing the trailer in the future more difficult.

One word about round rooms...Furniture.
and the inspectors. How does one bribe them? I could never figure that out. Just throw an envelope of cash into their car?

I asked Sen. Ron Wieden how I would go about a bribe and he didn't answer.

Top Bottom