Side marker lens

Bellapaca

G'day everyone.
I think some silly bugger has fitted the wrong wattage bulbs in my side or clearance lights. Its a 5W in it atm. I went to the auto shop and found 3W bulbs.
Ive tried to find out what wattage bulbs goes in these things but have fallen short? Any ideas?

Would led be a better option? Ive been told they run cold?

Thanks, Kevin.

Attachments

Sockeye770

In my Operating Instructions book for my 318, the side marker lamps are 5W.

The only advantage of LED bulbs with a resistor, is that the LED bulbs should last longer, as vibration on commercial vehicles destroy incandescent bulbs.

The resistor on LED bulbs is needed to draw the same current as incandescent bulbs to prevent the blown bulb warning lamp lighting up.

Bellapaca

In my Operating Instructions book for my 318, the side marker lamps are 5W.

The only advantage of LED bulbs with a resistor, is that the LED bulbs should last longer, as vibration on commercial vehicles destroy incandescent bulbs.

The resistor on LED bulbs is needed to draw the same current as incandescent bulbs to prevent the blown bulb warning lamp lighting up.
Thanks Andrew, This van didn't come with a operations book. To be honest I know little about this van other than what's on the tax invoice.

Mercedes-Benz 2010/10
Sprinter
NCV3 319CDI Van Low Roof
MWB 5dr Auto 5sp
3.0DT

I'll have a look on ebay for the 5w LED bulbs with the resistor and replace the six, that's three a side.
I fitted a 12V 3W T-10 incandescent bulb that I got from Super Cheap and its done the trick and doesn't look any duller that the other 5W bulbs.

I'm scratching my head as to why the amber lenses are heat effected by the bulbs that are in it?

Thanks for your help mate its very appreciated. Kevin.

Bellapaca

Kevin
The melted unit, does it have a MB part no or is it a Chinese fake unit. Eric
G'day Eric, Ive got no idea how to tell if these are the real McCoy or not? The Best I can do is try and take a macro pic to show you what's printed on them.

It didn't make sense that the original Benz reflectors would melt if they're meant to have a 5W in them.

Regards, Kevin.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sockeye770

None of my 2007/2008 318 & spare off 315, don't have the bottom line, the circle with CCC and the number A049044.
Do all your side markers have this line?

Bellapaca

None of my 2007/2008 318 & spare off 315, don't have the bottom line, the circle with CCC and the number A049044.
Do all your side markers have this line?
G'day Andrew, I had to laugh at myself. There I was sitting on an old milk crate with a magnifying glass looking like Sherlock Holmes trying to read these numbers "CCC A049044". Good thing my closest neighbour is over a hill out of sight lol.

Yes mate they all have the same branding on them.

I'm thinking theyre all cheap lenses. The few that I popped out trying to find the small print on the bulb for the correct wattage were all heat affected lenses. That's what made me think that the bulbs were to higher wattage and running to hot. It didn't dawn on me that the amber lenses might be dodgy.

The more I think about it the more a twin pack of "12V 3W T-10 Wedge" from Super Cheap will do the trick. I think the twin pack set me back 4 bucks and as I said at night the 3W looks as bright as the others side lights. 12 bucks and I'm home and hosed. Fingers crossed the 3W run colder than the 5W lol.

Thanks Micky for posting that ebay light.

Last edited:

Bellapaca

Kevin.
Just had a look at a light on one of my vehicles and it has the same markings, it is an 07 315. Eric.
Thanks Eric, I'm scratching my head as to why my lenses are melted. They're all still usable but the heat from the bulb sure has got to them. Maybe someone at one time fitted to big a bulb which did the damage and after that they fitted the correct 5W bulbs?

There's a knack in getting these lenses off the vehicle.
I found that by carefully levering the end furthest away from the lens writing and lifting that end first I got them out.
When refitting them put that same end (end without writing) back in first and slowly push the spring loaded end in. The spring loaded end has the writing on the lens. Once you have the first lens out and you look at how the lens clip works it will all make sense.

I'm sure you guys already know this and I'm telling you nothing, but If I can help one person from snapping the plastic spring off the lens I'm happy. Hooroo, Kevin.

Attachments

Top Bottom